Subaru CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a 2013 a 2013 Legacy. I wouldn't own it because of the transmission. I don't like it at all, especially in stop and go traffic. Opinions vary.

Originally Posted by wdn
Subaru have among the most reliable CVT on the market now. The newer ones 2018-2020 have no issues at all to speak of.

And yet here I am in a 2018 Crosstrek with 2400 miles and a failed CVT. It failed while going up a long highway hill. I had the adaptive cruise control on and when the vehicle in front moved out of the left lane, the thing went to 4000RPM then 5000RPM trying to make the set speed. At 5200 RPM it started making noise and within 10 seconds, it was done. Car shut off and I coasted to the side. Re started the car, rolled downhill on the exit and pulled into the gas station at the bottom of the exit. Uber to the rescue.

I looked into the number of failures and it was rather high. Too bad really, as I liked the car.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by benjy
good luck!!!! if it goes your ride is JUNK. the newest ones have an extended warranty on it so they can sell them!!!

and this is my concern. i have read that no on repairs them and the only place to get them is from Subaru at the tune of $8k

That's because if something happens Subaru wants to find out why, that's why they replace the whole unit and the dealer is warned NOT TO TOUCH IT, but to send id it back as is with all the fluids.
Subaru is the longest manufacturer with CTV (after the now defuct dutch DAF) it started with the Justy of unreputable fame
smile.gif
So they have a LOT of experience with CVTs
I would not worry.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
People love their Subies; heck many are rabid and wouldn't have anything else!
There's a reason for it.

Insane residual value doesn't hurt either- I haven't seen any other brand where you can get a 2-3 year old model with 40k miles on the lot for just a couple hundred bucks less than the brand new model, and they move off the lot just as fast as new. That's probably the best show of confidence in a brand I can think of.

Absolutely resale value, my 2001 OutBack bought it for $21K sold it in 2019 for $5K, not too shabby eh!
smile.gif

Subaru is run by engineers and not bean counters (yet) They do play it safe and are not exciting cars to drive, but do they last.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
People love their Subies; heck many are rabid and wouldn't have anything else!
There's a reason for it.

Insane residual value doesn't hurt either- I haven't seen any other brand where you can get a 2-3 year old model with 40k miles on the lot for just a couple hundred bucks less than the brand new model, and they move off the lot just as fast as new. That's probably the best show of confidence in a brand I can think of.

Absolutely resale value, my 2001 OutBack bought it for $21K sold it last year for $5K, not too shabby eh!
smile.gif

Subaru is run by engineers and not bean counters (yet) They do play it safe and are not exciting cars to drive, but do they last.

i have been looking at a lot of vehicles lately. i really like the new style outbacks in the 2011 to 2014 range. can get them for $10 to $14k depending on condition and mileage. most of the ones i have seen are about 120 to 130 k miles the one thing that concerns me is the CVT. read they have a lot of issues with them, but like a lot of stuff it might be blown up.

So anyone have real world experience with working on the CVT or it real longevity?

A friend of mine had a 2013? Forester 2.0XT. He mainly used it for road trips. The CVT and air conditioning (compressor, I believe) both died at @87K miles, IIRC. He traded it in and went back to MB because he was annoyed and money isn't really something he worries about.

Cujet. Subaru CVT failures high? you say you "looked into it". Where is the data to show that? I can't seem to find the link I saw several days ago that said they were very low compared to all cars with automatic. But, if you found otherwise, everyone would like to see it.

The pendulum swings all the time.
However, the quality and loyalty extremes for Subarus are more than for other cars.

I know they're not "Perfectmobiles" as so many attest. I find the "zombie love" freaky.
I also know they're not complete trash as others attest.
Because so many drivers don't know about momentum or smooth braking ALL LOYALTY DATA is suspect.

My 1995 Legacy LS did not deliver good fuel mileage given its complete lack of power.
My friend's 2001 Forester had a drippy, leaking engine at 70K.
I urged him to advertise the car and cash in on the religiously faithful to Fuji Heavy Industries. He lives on a Vermont border!
I believe there's a Subaru stitched on the Vermont State flag.

My 2014 has 75K miles, no issues at all with the CVT which performs very well. Lots of stop and go driving in heavy traffic, plenty of hills near me, and a half dozen 2,500 mile round trips on I95 running at 75-80MPH while loaded down with lots of stuff on the roof rack.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by wdn
Subaru have among the most reliable CVT on the market now. The newer ones 2018-2020 have no issues at all to speak of.

And yet here I am in a 2018 Crosstrek with 2400 miles and a failed CVT. It failed while going up a long highway hill. I had the adaptive cruise control on and when the vehicle in front moved out of the left lane, the thing went to 4000RPM then 5000RPM trying to make the set speed. At 5200 RPM it started making noise and within 10 seconds, it was done. Car shut off and I coasted to the side. Re started the car, rolled downhill on the exit and pulled into the gas station at the bottom of the exit. Uber to the rescue.

I looked into the number of failures and it was rather high. Too bad really, as I liked the car.

You did not think to do anything when it went to 5000 RPM?

I do not have adaptive cruise control, but in my pickup with normal cruise control, if going down a long hill it will sometimes downshift to a lower gear to slow it self down from going way over the set speed.

I am not sure the transmissions and cruise control handle long hills very well, going up or down.

I'm sorry I don't have failure rate data at my fingertips to post. The data is known and

This much I do know:

1) Chain-belt CVT's are intolerant of high performance use. Very high speeds coupled with high loads, and high temperatures are the way to kill a CVT. Stop n go driving where it's constantly changing speeds is actually the way to use a CVT. As the chain-belt does not remain in one place. Spreading wear over the entire surface of the pulleys.

2) Subaru CVT's cannot be rebuilt. That means that repairs require replacement, and replacement costs are very high. It's not unusual to see some Subaru CVT's having a $7,000 replacement cost. The part alone may be $5500 wholesale, depending on model.

3) Subaru did not extend the transmission warranty to 100K miles because they were being kind. There were many complaints of early failures.

4) Even the automotive press claims that 100K is the expected lifepsan of a Subaru CVT.

Originally Posted by Donald

You did not think to do anything when it went to 5000 RPM?

Yes, I laughed, as the engine had such low power it could not accelerate to the speed limit up the hill unless it was screaming.

Well the car got the last laugh, as it left me stranded.

However, Redline RPM is clearly 6300 or so. So 5200 was 1000 RPM below Redline, well within normal operating parameters.

Everybody has their "line." I don't plan on ever purchasing a car with a CVT. That is my "line." I don't care if it is a Lexus, Honda, Subie, Toyota, etc.

I would bet they come up with another CAFE transmission soon.
27.gif

Last edited:
I'll bet CVT units had nothing to do with CAFE beyond the likelihood of their possibly comporting with CAFE goals.

I believe the CVT designs were dusted off or "redrawn" when we all thought cars would be carbon fiber bodied and have 850cc engines in them.

That didn't happen. Cars stayed metal (meaning they weighed the same) and engines only got a little smaller.

ERGO: Lots of power is sent through a device designed to scoot spare parts to lumberman (Subaru's woods vehicle) or poop around flat ground (DAF's car in Holland).

"Hey look, these things have far fewer parts than a geared transmission so let's build them!", is what went down.

Yes, another consumer rip-off.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I work on a LOT of Subaru's (not dealer level, but a fair amount). I've seen exactly one CVT fail. So, I wouldn't say it's a huge problem but it's not inconsequential. Subaru extended the warranty more for "customer satisfaction" than anything, which I thought was very loyal of them, all things considered.

That being said, I absolutely can not STAND how Subaru has their CVT's programmed. I don't really care for any CVT, however when it's paired with a smooth engine... say a Nissan VQ for example, it's actually not so bad. When paired with a noisy, under-powered flat-4 in a heavy AWD wagon, it flat out ruins the drive. Even the new Corolla's that have the "fake shifts" programmed in feel better.

e .

Just my .02

I think the programing on the wife's crosstrek is "relatively" excellent. Plus, FUJI uses a small "creeper" converter** with a big clutch pack, so there is NO slushbox once you get moving 5-7mph. It locks up the clutch in first gear and you have solid drive with NO FLUID COUPLING.

Yes the Crosstrek is underpowered on the highway but its very responsive around town.

I am a confirmed slushbox hater. and driving a stick again after a NIssan CVT.

But some AT in my experience have been acceptable in day to day trials.

I think the best autotrans on a 4 cyl compact car i had driven was the 1995 Ford Contour 2 litre.

A 2012 2.0 Kia Forte 4 door I had for a rental for a week in Ft Myers was very decent also.
IN fact it was by far the best compact car I had driven to date.

ã•ã‚ˆãªã‚ Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic.

to mechanically decouple the trans from the engine when idling around or in S&G traffic

Originally Posted by Kira

I believe the CVT designs were dusted off or "redrawn" when we all thought cars would be carbon fiber bodied and have 850cc engines in them.
=.

I'll drive that all day! I loved my ' 71 Fiat 850 Spyder.

Longitudinal 850cc inline watercooled four out back. RWD of course.

About 1000 lbs lighter than a Miata.

Yep,I said One -thousand.

Not mine, but same year:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
You can always tell that there is gonna be a love/hate with a Subaru post.

I have owned 4 since 1978. My guess is that all in all Subarus are not as reliable as the reputation. They are more complicated as AWD/Boxer engine has more parts. People put up with that bc they love them.

Subaru's forte's

Boxer engine/AWD: Its the only way to do it right. Its not brain surgery. Its simply the best system

Safety: One of the first to crash test cars. Their new global platform rated 199.7 out of 200 in the tougher Japanese crash tests. All their carlines aced the small overlap test. No other car company came close. And of course their layered pillars are legendary.

Of course they have their black marks like the EJ engine eating HG's for 12 years. Inexcusable!!

My '18 Forester and '19 Crosstrek have a CVT and it is programmed perfectly (IMHO) for the totally different engines. I love it.

In general: If you buy a Subaru don't buy it for cheap ownership. Buy it bc it may be one of the best designed AWD safest car. And then buy an extended warranty..good insurance for any vehicle. If you need it only once the warranty cost is by definition cheaper (It paid you back). My '08 is now driven by my Grnddaughter and has over 200K miles. It is in premo condition. It does now use 40 wt. oil though.

So anyone have real world experience with working on the CVT or it real longevity?

There isn't any "working on them". Best you can do by yourself is a fluid change and even those are a huge pain for the DIY'er compared to something like Jatco CVT.

I have read of owners putting ~200K+ miles on their Subaru CVT since their debut in 2010. Of course you read of the super early failures here and there, much like you do with any present day transmission.

I joined into the Subaru game kind of late. Started with a leased 2012 Legacy, then a 2014 XV Crosstrek, then a 2016 Forester. There were things I liked and things I disliked with all of them, so I've had my fill of Subaru. I doubt I'll own another.

I never once found their AWD system to be superior to any others I've owned.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by wdn

People beat the crap out of rental cars. Also you don't know the nature of the failure or how it was repaired, because it is not your car. As you mentioned you left the car at a gas station. There was an ECM reprogramming recall for 2018 that could cause a blown fuse and engine stall, and is consistent with all the symptoms you mentioned including sudden loss of power, and engine shutoff. Had nothing to do with the CVT transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back