Kenwood JL-C55 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
A pair of these Kenwood JL-C55 speakers came into the thrift shop that I volunteer at and the woofer surrounds were rotted right off.
The manager wanted to scrap the units but I bought them for a donation and brought them home (like a stray pup from the pound)

I got the 8" woofers all cleaned up for new surrounds and the speakers should have "real" cross-overs installed while it's apart.

Has anyone here owned a pair of these speakers? Are they worth putting ~$90.00 into to rehab them?

I think my oil addiction is being overtaken by a speaker addiction after doing the Allison AL-120s (they really work nice). Anyway - here is a couple of pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After DIY surrounds and adding x-overs, it's a bit apples and oranges what someone else remembers about them back when they were newer stock units.

One problem with collecting full sized speakers is the space they take up, with an 8" being a bit too big for most tables but a bit small to be end tables themselves.

Hard to say if it's worth $90 at your location, around here I can get speakers off craigslist at varying price points, but also in various conditions where they may need refurb'd eventually.

I'd audition them before gettings x-overs to see if they're needed... not a big deal to take a few screws off later to get back inside.

In the early years of hi fi, there were the Altec Voice of the Theater speakers.They were the size of small refrigerators and, partly because of their size, they were considered the hot setup. Your enclosures look solid and big enough to perform well. I would go for it. Take a look at parts-express.com, they have a huge array of speakers.

Think that I'd reform and listen. Not really in the Allison class of speakers in my humble opinion. Think the money and labor would be better off put into a better speaker.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Are they worth putting ~$90.00 into to rehab them?

If you are asking if you'll be able to sell them at a profit after you rehab them, then most likely not.

But it may be worth it just for having the satisfaction of bringing something broken back to life and practicing your restoration skills.

Sometimes a hobby costs a few bucks. Enjoy the work and the speakers. Looks like some type of passive filter crossover built into the wire spring tabs. I wouldn't add a different one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

If you are asking if you'll be able to sell them at a profit after you rehab them, then most likely not.

But it may be worth it just for having the satisfaction of bringing something broken back to life and practicing your restoration skills.

Not planning on flipping them, just keeping them alive I guess.
Geez, I might end up with a "speaker stash" !!
21.gif
....... how can I define/justify an addictive insanity ?
lol.gif

Hey, I've seen a lot more expensive hobbies. I'd say go for it if it keeps you occupied and gives you pleasure.

I myself have a decent speaker stash, most of it in storage currently. Hoping one of these days I'll put them to good use, but it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

$90 total? As in $45 per speaker? Why not. The tweeters look nice, you're re-doing the x-over, and a full re-foam. Even if they sound "decent", you have the satisfaction of knowing that you brought something back to life and made it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back