In the Market for a Travel Vehicle Soon

Hey guys, starting a new position within the company and will be traveling pretty much all the time (home on weekends) for the first couple years, from Sioux Falls to San Antonio and Memphis to Western Nebraska. I'll be looking for a vehicle that is economical, comfortable, and reliable, gets good mileage and reasonable TCO. Considering a Camry, though not a new one. My mind is open to suggestions. I'm not a luxury guy, but probably wouldn't care for bare bones either. Whaddya think?

Somethin comfortable/used and made in last 5 years so gets excellent MPG.

Bare bones is not fun despite the the justifications you see from people who wanted more but need pacify themselves.

Are you getting reimbursed for the car or mileage? Do you need to carry anything with you? Equipment, samples, passengers?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Can you right it off as a business expense? If so, why not lease.

Good point. Company pays mileage so don't think so. Don't know for sure though. Aren't there usually mileage limitations on leased vehicles? I've never looked into that.

A few tools, it's an IT gig so not a whole lot, maybe a passenger on occasion but mostly by myself. A trunk should be sufficient. I wouldn't mind taking my guitar along though. No amp needed.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Used Toyota Avalon. My aunt has a 2016, that V6 has plenty of pep for the highway, and got us 29 mpg on a 5,000 mile road trip to Seattle & Montana. And we really did full throttle runs/passes all the time, 80 mph whenever possible, and adventuring through 5 national parks with that mpg included.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Used Toyota Avalon. My aunt has a 2016, that V6 has plenty of pep for the highway, and got us 29 mpg on a 5,000 mile road trip to Seattle & Montana. And we really did full throttle runs/passes all the time, 80 mph whenever possible, and adventuring through 5 national parks with that mpg included.

Nice.

This may sound a little far fetched but:

If you have a nice acoustic guitar and travel with it be sure to not put in a vehicle where strong sun can shine on it. I heard of someone who had a nice acoustic in a case and put it in as the last thing going in a hatch back. He went on a long trip and the sun shone at the right angle strong enough and long enough to heat the guitar enough to warp it.

When I travel with mine it is on the back seat belted in with several very thick fluffy blankets over it to protect it from the sun being able to transfer solar heat to it.

I told you it is far fetched, but when you pay the kind of money a good one cost and you really have a good one you enjoy, why take the chance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
This may sound a little far fetched but:

If you have a nice acoustic guitar and travel with it be sure to not put in a vehicle where strong sun can shine on it. I heard of someone who had a nice acoustic in a case and put it in as the last thing going in a hatch back. He went on a long trip and the sun shone at the right angle strong enough and long enough to heat the guitar enough to warp it.

When I travel with mine it is on the back seat belted in with several blankets over it.

You're absolutely right, but I play electrics. You can put a little amp pedal on a pedalboard, plug headphones in and jam away in a hotel room without bothering a soul. Most likely bringing a Telecaster. They're tough as nails and I know to keep it covered and out of the sun.

Last edited:
I think a 2-3 year old Impala would be an affordable and comfortable car. Fuel mileage on the highway should be decent.

I'd also consider something like a 2016- 2018 Sonata SE. these can be bought very cheap 10-12k with low miles. They are comfortable cars and get great mpg.

If you're doing 50-60k miles a year you're destroying a cars value, so I wouldn't buy anything that is expensive or it's going to be a burden financially.

Last edited:
I'd look at a mazda cx-5, gets good fuel mileage. If you are on the road a lot, a comfortable ride will matter after a while. I think the Avalon suggestion is good too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbias
Look at a 16 or 17 Lexus ES 350. Low 20k mileage with a nice V6 and is a great cruiser.

My previous job I was reimbursed mileage. It worked out to about $1000 a month cash. A nice extra bit of cash in my pocket tax free.

If you're getting reimbursed for mileage, and you don't really care what it is, as long as it's reliable and (reasonably) economical, may I suggest:

The newest (non-commercially used) Lincoln Town Car you can find? They can be had for literally pennies, and are built for exactly the kind of thing you're asking for: miles and miles of open road. They're easy to drive, easy to maintain, and most of all RELIABLE. 250k miles without so much as an alternator isn't unheard of. You can always buy something fun to drive while you're home, with all the money you save while on the road. Depending on your reimbursement plan, you may even be able to make money.

A Mazda 3 wagon would be perfect. Space for luggage and to lay down in the back for a nap and it's nice enough on the inside that you won't complain for a trip that takes half a day.

Id go for a Camry with the 4 cylinder. They have enough power, past couple years they have 206 hp.. I have the V6 plant in my Venza.. granted its heavier than a Camry but gas mileage not its strong point.. im averaging 14.5 mpg in winter but thats with 90% short trips.. if you did all hwy with a venza v6 you would see about 24-26mpg. The 4cyl camry, with the 8 speed and 206 hp 4 cyl engine 2018 year up, should do 35 mpg pretty consistently... my rental camry a few years back (had the 178 hp 4 cylinder) got about 34 mpg going 80mph from Montreal right through Chicago and back.. That car kept up well and i never thought it was a slouch. Id opt for a 2018-2019 Camry in your situation. Will have ample space yet great mpg and very low maintenance costs. Good luck!

I'm going out on a limb that others will probably try to break, but 2011+ Hyundai Elantras are simple, cheap, reliable, and WILL net you 40+ on the highway. That's almost Prius territory without the cost and hassle. No Hyundai engine worries either (it's a Nu, not a Theta). If you're paid by the mile, you'll pocket a ton of cash.

If that's a no-go, I'd suggest whatever gets the most mpgs. Again, the whole reason you're doing it is for the money. Why not earn more of it?

Back