Tire Noise--Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had these for about two years, and all of a sudden they are quite noisy. I rotated them, but no dice. Should I go for an alignment?

Well, certainly have your alignment checked for in spec. However with my experience with tire noise, once it starts, it's there forever.

Originally Posted by ET16
I've had these for about two years, and all of a sudden they are quite noisy. I rotated them, but no dice. Should I go for an alignment?

My personal experience with Sumitomo's including that model. They woes you in the first 10k-15k miles then turn into garbage in rain and noise after that.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by ET16

My personal experience with Sumitomo's including that model. They woes you in the first 10k-15k miles then turn into garbage in rain and noise after that.

I believe this is true of some Sumitomo models, not all. I have 29K miles on my 5 year old Sumitomo Tour Plus LXT tires, and they're quiet as a mouse.

I had the HTR A/S P01 for about 30K miles and they had become very loud by that time. The rumble was noticeable as soon as the car got above 10 mph and a mechanic even commented "I don't know how you can take it". From what I've heard, the newer version is similar so I'd guess that this model and the similar Falken model might have the same issue. My guess is that an alignment probably isn't it...these are just loud tires with some wear on them.

I believe those are the tires I saw on TR at a very attractive price point and with some very good initial reviews (less than 5kmiles)...I was very tempted as they were a good $40/tire less than what I ended up buying.
I checked back later and the reviews that came in at higher mileages were generally not very positive. I know there are genuinely good deals out there, but you still tend to get what you pay for.

My Sumitomo's are the loudest tires I've ever owned. Not even close. Had two alignments, well one, because it wasn't even needed.

HAHA this thread answered my question. Funny I had Sumitomos's on my last car for a ton of miles, no noise. In fact very very quiet... Maybe has to do with the car as well, or my last ones were an older model. I'll check that out too.

Sumitomo in my experience are bliss at first then turn to garbage at the 10k -15k mark in terms of wet traction and noise levels. Been there twice never again.

How many miles?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Sumitomo in my experience are bliss at first then turn to garbage at the 10k -15k mark in terms of wet traction and noise levels. Been there twice never again.

How many miles?

28K miles on them so far. Judging by the treadwear, I'll easily get 50K+ miles out of these. Still handle wet roads like they did when they were new. They've been rotated twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back