Orange gasoline.

I changed out the fuel lines in my boat the other day and man did that fuel look old. It was orange coming out. Lol The boat has been sitting since around September and didn't start getting used until about a month ago. What's better run the old fuel out until it gets low then fill up with fresh stuff? I want to guess that it has around 40-50 gallons in it now. Gonna use the boat this weekend and burn through most of this fuel. I just don't know if I should fill it up before or after. Apparently the boat doesn't burn much. 12-15gph seems to be the average.

Yes, run the old fuel. Maybe bring a jerry can. I assume the gas smells normal.

Make sure you have a spare fuel filter or two. Orange sounds like rust to me.

I put 15 gallons in it around the middle of December, the tank holds 122 gallons total. what i'll do is run it on the old fuel this weekend then put 20 gallons or so of fresh stuff in when I get back, then run the engine on the hose to flush the engine out and that will also mix the new stuff into the fuel injectors.

I had the pickup tube out when changing the fuel lines, so it looks like the fuel gauge is accurate. It was showing 1/2 tank on the gauge and that's what it showed on the tube, about halfway up.

Some boat fuel lines leach out an orangish color into the fuel, it's not uncommon.

If the boat has external tanks I would dump it and start with new fuel. If its difficult to siphon it out I would run it but without confidence. These boats are complicated and it costs a fortune if you have to take them in for service. You didn't state if your motor is a inboard or outboard or the size of engine or anything. If it was all new gasoline in September I would think you should be ok to run it out. I don't know how much extra gas you can put in the tanks but I would be tempted to completely fill it with more gas to help stabilize it and also run a bottle or two of Seafood through it. I had an 89 IROC Z-28 that I parked over the winter one time and come spring I started it and drove about 10 miles and it died on me. Had it towed in and it cost me a grand for diagnosis and a new fuel injector or two. I make sure the gas is well stabilized after that episode and I think I had stabilizer it it as well.

Forgive me for flaming but since boats are "holes in the water you throw money into" how can anyone leave a load of fuel in the tank?

Now, with the likelihood of rust being in the fuel (and yes, I read the part about orange fuel lines leaching color into fuel) people are advising you run the fuel?

Also, adding Seafood to fuel is not a good idea....even if it is a boat!

Originally Posted by Kira
Forgive me for flaming but since boats are "holes in the water you throw money into" how can anyone leave a load of fuel in the tank?

I fill my boat tank to the very top full - every time I am done using it.

Leaving a boat with a partially filled tank is inviting condensation (esp since my tank is aluminum)

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Kira

I fill my boat tank to the very top full - every time I am done using it.

Leaving a boat with a partially filled tank is inviting condensation (esp since my tank is aluminum)

I think the fuel will still get pretty old doing it that way. Plus there is the danger of it leaking out one day and having to figure out where to put it.

I read a study about condensation in a fuel tank only happens when it warms up substantially in a shirt amount of time. Makes sense. Think of it like a cold can of coca cola.

I've run my current 30 yo Mercruiser for 22 years and never saw orange gasoline. The small amounts I did see were water inside the water separating filter. Never more than a few ounces. The only time I've seen orange gas ( I have some now, parts wash) was old nasty gas ready or turned.
If it were me I wouldn't trust it. Siphon off the majority into your handy jerry cans and fill the tank with fresh gas. I'd take along a second extra water separating filter cartridge just in case. Don't forget you may have bought it last September but it may in fact be far older .
If you have one of those Mr Filter funnels you might try poring that old stuff through it and see if it cleans up.. you may well get away with adding it back in a can at a time to get rid of of the old stuff.

It must stay pretty fresh then. Gas always darkens with age. My experience is mowers though, so it's not a big deal to dump out a quart of old fuel and dilute it into a bigger gas tank or something.

2 maybes, Did you add a large dose of stabil, that red dye will color the gas. If you have always run ethanol free is there a chance that some station slipped you some 10%. The ethanol will wash all the varnish off the tank wall and lines and turn the gas orange. Keep an eye on your filters.

If the boat has external tanks I would dump it and start with new fuel. If its difficult to siphon it out I would run it but without confidence. These boats are complicated and it costs a fortune if you have to take them in for service. You didn't state if your motor is a inboard or outboard or the size of engine or anything. If it was all new gasoline in September I would think you should be ok to run it out. I don't know how much extra gas you can put in the tanks but I would be tempted to completely fill it with more gas to help stabilize it and also run a bottle or two of Seafood through it. I had an 89 IROC Z-28 that I parked over the winter one time and come spring I started it and drove about 10 miles and it died on me. Had it towed in and it cost me a grand for diagnosis and a new fuel injector or two. I make sure the gas is well stabilized after that episode and I think I had stabilizer it it as well.
Ya that seafood is awesome stuff Lol

Back