Giving up on Ford - too many problems, need suggestions

I am leasing a 2017 Fusion Sport and a 2018 Explorer XLT AWD. Both cars have had a lot of issues as well as design flaws that can be rather catastrophic. Ford chooses to ignore its customer base and keep pushing out garbage. I wanted to get a 2021 Explorer ST, but seeing how much of a flop the 2020 Explorer/Aviator has been (leaving the factory without operational instrument panels, missing parking brake buttons, leaking transmissions, transmissions that fail left and right, engine oil pans that leak, owners that had a trans fail and then the loaner Explorer trans failed followed by their replaced trans failed), I am giving up on Ford. I've bought nothing but Fords over 30 years and really really really wish I had just kept my 2007 Mustang GT because it was problem-free. The newer Fords all seem to have a problem. My 2018 Explorer hood is already rusting (aluminum corrosion) at under 10k miles. The right rear door is misaligned due to stamping flaws, and the 3.5L N/A V6 has an internal water pump that can give up the ghost at 27k miles or 100k miles, and when it does there's a good chance it takes out the engine. Either $2000 repair or $8000 repair. A lot of the Explorer issues have to do with the Chicago Assembly plant, which has been notorious for producing garbage. My 2014 SHO had a lot of body alignment issues as well, and many many many Taurus's between 2013-2015 had the same alignment issues.It wasn't a one off problem.

How is the 2018-up Traverse? Has it been relatively problem-free? I've read issues with the 9-speed transaxle at least for the initial 2018 release. This is the 9-speed that was jointly developed by Ford/GM, and Ford took out 4th gear and made it into the 8-speed transaxle on the newer Edges. SUVs like the Equinox, Edge, and Blazer have too small of a fuel tank. The Traverse seems to have a good balance of highway MPG's (27 mpg at 75 mph according to Car and Driver) and fuel tank capacity (almost 22 gal) giving it a 540+ mile range. My girlfriend's 2015 Malibu 2.0 gets about 30 mpg on the highway and has a 18 gal tank and we were seeing about a 500 mile range during a cross country road trip. My 2018 Explorer barely gets over 300 miles before having to fill up. My Fusion Sport is much better at over 400 miles.

Last edited:
Toyota Highlander
VW Atlas

The new Kia Telluride looks pretty nice, I might consider that too.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Toyota Highlander
VW Atlas

This â˜ï¸

I've seen some rusted hoods on newer Explorers. Quite shocked actually.

I'll tell you what, I wouldn't trust any of them right now...Ford, GM, Chrysler. I'm seeing issues with all of them. Just this week I've seen three new/newer Silverados starters fail (before 35,000 miles). I've seen dodge rams with exhaust manifold leaks, camshaft failures. I've seen Jeep Grand Cherokee's with rotted transmission pans, less than three years old. Kia and Hyundai's with massive oil consumption. GM too.

The automotive industry actually seems to be taking a step back with some of the "new technology" they've implemented. Direct injection has changed the game. Cost cutting has always been there, but now they're also trying to squeeze fuel economy into federal regulation. And it's hurting them.

Toyota Highlander
VW Atlas

That Kia Telluride is absolutely savage. Love that thing. Beautiful. They've actually raised the price if it's heading into its second year of production.

I have not had that experience with my Ford Fusions. The 2018 has 85K and the only repair needed was the timing chain re-sealed at 59K. Nothing else so far.

I would go with Hyundai or Kia, Ford has been pushing junk, especially the Exploders, since 1996 till new. Toyota is taking advantage of their rep some also, Not fond of any other domestics made since 2006 either.

I like the look of the telluride also, sharp!

If I had my pick of GDI or TGDI, I would probably go with Hyundai or Kia right now. I am most confident about how far I can stretch them out beyond their warranty than I am on my Ford. I am also more confident that I would not have to call upon a warranty claim with a Hyundai/Kia than a Ford.

Toyota Highlander
VW Atlas

Don't count out a 4Runner. Although aged, reliability and longevity are top notch.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I've seen some rusted hoods on newer Explorers. Quite shocked actually.

I'll tell you what, I wouldn't trust any of them right now...Ford, GM, Chrysler. I'm seeing issues with all of them. Just this week I've seen three new/newer Silverados starters fail (before 35,000 miles). I've seen dodge rams with exhaust manifold leaks, camshaft failures. I've seen Jeep Grand Cherokee's with rotted transmission pans, less than three years old. Kia and Hyundai's with massive oil consumption. GM too.

The automotive industry actually seems to be taking a step back with some of the "new technology" they've implemented. Direct injection has changed the game. Cost cutting has always been there, but now they're also trying to squeeze fuel economy into federal regulation. And it's hurting them.

The 8 speed transmissions in the 2014+ models have a plastic pan though.

Picking up a Telluride on Monday, hopefully it holds up. Car and Driver picked it for the best three row SUV this fall, named it to the 10 best list, and have one in their long term fleet (excerpt below).

The big problem right now is the wait times. We had to wait just over 2 months from order to delivery.

J

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29411864/2020-kia-telluride-reliability-maintenance/

There comes a time in life when you have to acknowledge your shortcomings. And as our 2020 Kia Telluride SX AWD passes the 14,000-mile mark, that time for us is now.

Try as we might, we are unable to find much to criticize about our moss-green Kia long-termer. Maybe that's not considered a shortcoming in the real world. Other people we've met appear perfectly happy to be happy. We are critics, though. It is our job—nay, our nature—to criticize.

Usually, new cars provide plenty of opportunity for complaints. The outward visibility stinks. The engine is weak and sounds like a horse [censored]. The seat heaters are too slow to warm our buns. When we have nothing big to criticize, we can typically find something minor. If we can't find something minor, we can usually find something trivial. With the Telluride, though, we are flummoxed.

So, credit to testing director Dave VanderWerp for gamely having a go at criticizing this 10Best-winning, comparison-test-dominating three-row, family SUV. Everyone else on staff has simply thrown up their hands. And reviews deputy editor Tony Quiroga has sustained a love affair with the Telluride that borders on giddy infatuation. ....

My Neighbor traded in their 2017 Explorer because the cabin always smelled of fuel. They bought a Traverse and love it. I must admit, sharp. I lilke the new Highlinder, Palisade and Telluride too.

Toyota
smile.gif

Ford seems to just be putting out junk at this point, based on anecdotal experience. My girlfriend is taking her 2016 Edge back and returning it to the dealer. The dang NAV system went out. The NAV system. $1K+ in repair. Never even heard of it until I googled "SYNC 3 failure". Ridiculous trash. Buy something Japanese made, or recently Korean made, and relax. Good move, OP!

Test drive the Kia Telluride. Awesome vehicle. 100,000 mile warranty. I have owned several Kia and Hyundai. They do stand behind their warranty.

Originally Posted by metroplex
.... the 3.5L N/A V6 has an internal water pump that can give up the ghost at 27k miles or 100k miles, and when it does there's a good chance it takes out the engine. Either $2000 repair or $8000 repair.

Agreed, this is completely a design flaw, poor design from the start. Facing this repair on my Lincoln MKS Eco-boost. Strangely, my low tech 2005 Town Car with a 4.6L v8 got the same MPG as this MKS lump, 18/23. And the AWD Coupler quit working at 62,000 miles, just outside the warranty period, another $2000. Turns out, Ford now admits the transfer case (PTU) fluid needs to be changed at 30,000 mile intervals vs lifetime as in the owners manual. The PTU and it's 1-quart of fluid is very close to the catalyst & exhaust manifold & cooks the fluid ruining bearings & seals.

Done with Ford also. Will get a Toyota, just wish there was a 3/4 or 1-ton Tundra in the USA.

Back