LSPI Concern for GDI Non - Turbo Engine ?

As the title states - is there a LSPI concern for GDI non - turbo engines ? ... My guess is "No" but will still use a D1 / Gen 2 SN+ synthetic oil for other attributes in a GDI engine . Your thoughts ?

While I suppose it's conceivable for a lspi event occuring in a DI engine due to a leaky injector (?), I've personally never read about one happening in a GDI. (que the rare report of it happening to someone in BFE back in 2000' ...‚)

It's a phenomena almost exclusive to turbo GDI's.

Last edited:
only the carbon issue they ALL have sooner or later, naturally aspirated are better there as well + drive it like you stole it now + then

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
As the title states - is there a LSPI concern for GDI non - turbo engines ? ... My guess is "No" but will still use a D1 / Gen 2 SN+ synthetic oil for other attributes in a GDI engine . Your thoughts ?

The Sonata should be fine, using the same or similar to, what's in your Signature....ie... SN Plus and Dexos 1 / Gen2
Should also be fine running regular unleaded 87 octane in your 2017. Top-tier fuels are recommended. I stay away from pumps that read 10% ethanol. I use Shell gas

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
While I suppose it's conceivable for a lspi event occuring in a DI engine due to a leaky injector (?),

Why? Liquid fuel does not burn, it would have to be atomized or partially evaporated. I'd be more worried about diluting the oil or hydro-locking the cylinder than LSPI.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The Sonata should be fine, using the same or similar to, what's in your Signature....ie... SN Plus and Dexos 1 / Gen2
Should also be fine running regular unleaded 87 octane in your 2017. Top-tier fuels are recommended. I stay away from pumps that read 10% ethanol. I use Shell gas

Why, are all grades of Shell brand gasoline in the U.S ethanol free? I thought ethanol in gas was unavoidable unless you buy 91 or 93 octane. I know it's that way up here in Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
While I suppose it's conceivable for a lspi event occuring in a DI engine due to a leaky injector (?),

Why? Liquid fuel does not burn, it would have to be atomized or partially evaporated. I'd be more worried about diluting the oil or hydro-locking the cylinder than LSPI.

Leaking injectors during and post operation (shut down) in a DI engine contribute to piston top carbon deposits. Excessive carbon deposits on the piston crown increases the potential for "hot spot" pre-ignition, even of leaked fuel droplets. This is why I said I suppose it's possible (openly musing about a rare event) for a pre-ignition event in a normally aspirated DI engine. It's possible for it to happen in a PI engine as well, albeit less likely because the injectors are positioned outside the cylinder. But possible doesn't mean probable, that's because several things have to be in place for a pre-ignition event to occur. Pre-ignition is a more common phenomena with carbureted engines simply because leaking injectors are rare on modern cars.. but can and do happen.

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible. Just wanted to hear your reasoning
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by tundraotto
They're not- up to 10% ethanol in 87 and 89 at the pump here....only 91 is ethanol free.

Thanks, that's what I thought but trip7 got me all balled up, look what he wrote.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I suppose it's possible. Just wanted to hear your reasoning
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I've personally never seen it (after effects on a piston) happening but I've heard of it. Guess it's just one more reason to minimize combustion chamber deposits. I would think it's an even rarer event in a port injected design... that the carbon on the valves would soak up excess fuel.

Here's some "cool" pics of various piston failures (analysis), like from lack of lubrication and bad injectors. Gotta be a rodeo to experience it...no thanks!

https://highwayandheavyparts.com/n-12634-piston-crowns-failure-analysis.html

Last edited:
I mainly use Quick Trip Top Tier 87 octane rated gas - but most gas stations in my area (including Quick Trip) state "up to 10% ethanol" ... I actually read where ethanol is a good fuel injector cleaner (but of course ethanol has other side effects) ... I have a Shell station near me , so I'll have to check if they state 10% ethanol on the pumps?

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by tundraotto
They're not- up to 10% ethanol in 87 and 89 at the pump here....only 91 is ethanol free.

Thanks, that's what I thought but trip7 got me all balled up, look what he wrote.

In reference to 87 octane and that's what I've discussed here, every country region is supposedly different in allocating their levels of ingredients. Now Mobil, BP, and Exxon here are pump-stickering 10% Ethanol here. Only one of these 3 that isn't is Shell.

I use no other brand of gas. Brands like Sunoco, Marathon.... etc ....have less detergency, despite still being certified as Top Tier gas.
Not all Top-Tiers are the same in detergency. Not all oils wearing SN Plus / D1-G2 are the same either. Some meet specs. Some exceed specs.

I've become a Shell, Pennzoil and Mobil-1 believer (mid-market pricing). New Kia will drink Mobil-1. New Hyundai will drink Pennzoil. Both use Shell 87 currently.

Last edited:
I use no other brand of gas. Brands like Sunoco, Marathon.... etc ....have less detergency, despite still being certified as Top Tier gas.
Not all Top-Tiers are the same in detergency. Not all oils wearing SN Plus / D1-G2 are the same either. Some meet specs. Some exceed specs.

That's like saying I can fill my coffee cup to the top but if I fill it until it runs over the top, that's better.

Not all Top-Tiers are the same in detergency.

I'd be very interested to see your proof of what you claim....I'll wait. LOL!

so SP rating is really for TGDI?
Near as I can tell, Dexos 1 Gen 2 SN+ has been replaced by D1 G3 SP. The "sell down" period of D1G2 ended last year.
So, there's no point in discussing old approvals that are no longer on store shelves.

IMO, choosing an oil thick enough to stay out of the combustion chamber in the first place should mitigate engine oil induced LSPI.

Back