Use of N.C. Tag to bring in out of state car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some years back DMV told me I could use a tag off my existing car for up to 30days, to bring in an out of state car as long as it was insured.
Anyone know if this is still permitted?

Yes I know I can go to DMV and find out, just trying to avoil long wait lines.

whats the diffrence between the first and last requirement
Maintain on both vehicles liability insurance from a provider licensed to do business in North Carolina.
The vehicle to which the license plate is being transferred must have a current inspection.
The license plate being transferred must be valid.
The name on the applicant's license and the vehicle title must match.
Prove the vehicle is covered under liability insurance from a North Carolina-licensed provider.

Originally Posted by tc1446
Some years back DMV told me I could use a tag off my existing car for up to 30days, to bring in an out of state car as long as it was insured.

Even if this was allowed in NC and I can't imagine it would be, what about the state it's in and those in between? Drive a car with the wrong tag on it and the cops with think it's stolen. You're lucky it doesn't get impounded.

I would just get a temp tag. In Virginia, it's done on-line. Get insurance for the car when you pick it up and have proof, which can be electronic (GEICO app, USAA app, for example).

Temp tag is the best way.
I think the temp tag is $5 in VA.

Although I have just done what you are thinking about doing. I just drove down to pick newly purchased car up, took tag off front of my existing car and put on back of newly purchased car. We then tag teamed the drive home. LOL

Oh, and the DMV ladies told me to never come first thing or around lunch but to come to DMV 4:50 pm. Come 10 minutes before closing and this would minimize my wait and they didn't mind at all.

I don't know about the applicable regs to drive a car on the road in that situation and what fines and penalties you may be subject to.

But one thing that is for sure, for many decades all private passenger insurance policies have a clause that states you remain covered if you purchase and drive a different vehicle. You have to notify the insurer of the purchase within typically 30 days. But you will be insured in case of accident.

Swapping plates here will get you a huge fine and impound if your caught. Attempting to defraud the state and the police are 2 of the things you will get ticketed for. I would look into your idea before trying it.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Swapping plates here will get you a huge fine and impound if your caught. Attempting to defraud the state and the police are 2 of the things you will get ticketed for. I would look into your idea before trying it.

Guy who bought my car flew in from MI and did just this. Apparently it was legal for him to do so--I recall looking it up, as I was curious, but since it was all on him, I really didn't care.

Every state seems different in this regard. You'd think a valid plate would be a valid plate, as long as it was the same weight class. But heck MA won't even issue temp plates to its own residents.

I've been a NC resident for 17 years, and my observation is that NC DMV service has gone downhill a lot. Long wait times at physical DMV locations, very long service times from their mail unit and one time I called Raleigh HQ and the recording said they could return my call in SEVEN days. Latest example is DMV sending my lien satisfied title to the wrong address. I had to claim it as lost and am still waiting for a replacement 49 days after the original mailing. It was supposed to be progress when they switched to electronic titling. If it was still the manual method, I'd have it by now. They suck.

Having lived in NC, it sounds highly unlikely that would be okay. They are pretty strict about registration. When I bought a vehicle from a private seller when I lived there, I met him at a DMV office so we could do the title transfer and I could register it and get a tag on the spot.

The state you are buying the vehicle in should offer a temp tag. Temp tags are not required for 30 days in AL, where I live now, but they are offered. If AL offers it, I would imagine every other state does. Even here, driving with a tag registered to another vehicle is a big no no, you are actually better off with no tag at all assuming the vehicle is insured and you can prove you bought it in the last 30 days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
The state you are buying the vehicle in should offer a temp tag.

In many places you have to be a resident of that state to get a temp tag from there.

Originally Posted by atikovi

In many places you have to be a resident of that state to get a temp tag from there.

And some states like MA don't even offer temp tags.

01.gif

If you're buying the car from a dealer, the dealer will issue you a tag from the state the dealer is located in.

It goes by the state the seller is in, not the buyer.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

01.gif

If you're buying the car from a dealer, the dealer will issue you a tag from the state the dealer is located in.

Wrong and wrong. I live in Maryland and can get a temp tag for a car I'm buying. If I'm selling a car to someone out of state, they would NOT be able to get a Maryland temp tag.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
01rangerxl said:

01.gif

Wrong. I live in Maryland and can get a temp tag for a car I'm buying. If I'm selling a car to someone out of state, they would NOT be able to get a Maryland temp tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back