Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

Official or unofficial? My high pressure hose sprung a small leak in the early summer and depleted the reservoir. So I topped up a few times until I finally got around to replacing it and replenishing the system.

Daughter's car (my old car): 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXi with 270,000+ miles on it. I waited way too long on this. I did the siphon and fill for two quarts at this time. Will likely do another two quarts in a few weeks before winter and after this change has a chance to clean things. The power steering whine in the deep of winter has gotten worse, so trying to get ahead of that this year but not savvy enough to do a full drain fill.

I called the dealership and talked to a tech on the fluid spec. This was one of the last model/year that they **MIGHT** have used the Chrysler-specific power steering fluid or the Mopar ATF... it could have gone either way. But, they said current ATF+4 supersedes all PS and ATF in the power steering of this model so go straight to that.

I siphoned it out and it came out looking like coffee and had little black dots from the screen in the reservoir. After each drain and fill, did a drive with tight turns to circulate. This car has a deep reservoir so it pulled out a lot of fluid each draining and it turned from brown to mostly red very quickly.

Out: I think it was Versa Trans, but dang I don't remember what the shop did at the time.
In: 2 quarts Valvoline ATF+4 and will likely do this again in a couple weeks... and then a quart or two every year going forward.

I did the follow-up replacement of 2 more quarts on my daughter's car.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-power-steering-fluid-change#Post5215169
Out: Former combo of whatever old fluid and Valvoline ATF+4 from two weeks ago.
In: Valvoline ATF+4 again.
By the end of the first quart (this time), the stuff coming out looked exactly like what was in the bottle. Very few black flecks came with it. I still did the second quart.
I did notice a slight sluggishness when turning all the way to the right (versus left). I didn't pay attention to this before. So there might be a slight obstruction. It doesn't seem to be a big deal unless the car is sharply U-turned.
Overall, it is looking good.

2001 Tundra, 198K miles or thereabouts. Original PS fluid.

Removed reservoir and sprayed it out with brake cleaner. I could see black crud on screen.
I coulda done a better job but I didn't wanna make a career outta it.

Put it back together; ran the return line to the ground into oil drain pan.
Filled reservoir, watched it leak out and decided to plug the fluid return port.

Filled it with Maxlife, started the engine for maybe 2 seconds. Refilled reservoir.
Started engine again and turned the steering wheel to lock.
Filled reservoir, found I couldn't turn ignition key so I put everything back together and cleaned up my mess.
Cat litter rocks.

Fast forward a few hours...
Remembered to move the steering wheel a little to allow the key to turn.

Started Tundra; it had great steering before now it has that numb smooth Lexus feel. Like butta.
Even with the oversize FJ Cruiser wheels and Bridgestone tires.
All good.

2006 Ford Explorer, 4.6L 3V, 150,000 miles.
Out: Factory fluid, presumably Mercon
In: Advance Auto Parts Dex/Merc ATF. Found an old case of a dozen sealed quart bottles under my stairs, probably 15 years old.

2012 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder 4x4 SR5 5-Speed manual 91,000 miles.

Out: Original factory power steering fluid that was a light brown in color.

In: Valvoline ATF Dexron/MERC (Dexron III).

Total flush of system. Funny I only used 1qt. of the Valvoline ATF Dexron/MERC (Dexron III) gallon jug @ $13.97ea. Guess I'll do the turkey baster removal each oil change until jug is empty. Honestly can't feel a difference in steering other than a piece of mind knowing fluid is fresh and correct per Toyota specs.

Last edited:
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Pump replacement
Out: unknown
In: mileguard ps fluid and conditioner

07 Ford focus
Return line exchange
Out: unknown dark fluid
In: motorcraft mercon v

Last edited:
Volvo 240 sedan, GM Type II Saginaw Pump

Out: Mercon V Full Synthetic ATF and Power Steering fluid
In: same

10,000 mile OCI

Peugeot 206 RC, out probably original fill, in Peugeot Total LDS fully synthetic hydraulic oil as speced. VI of 320

Back in 2006 because the seal blew out in the steering gear IN MY f150. Still works fine and don't see any benefit to the practice of P.S. fluid changes unless a repair to the system is needed.

[Linked Image]

the turkey baster method: pumped old fluid out, used conventional LG Universal PSF as my flushing fluid, turned steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times, repeated, spiked it with a couple of ounces of Auto-RX Plus (made an instant change in pump noise while adding it during idle). then after my 1000 miles... I plan to turkey baster again to end up only with LG Complete Full Synthetic PSF for Honda & Acura as my fill.

2007 Acura ME
185000 miles

Out: assume factory fluid
In: Honda fluid

Pump got noisy..took off. Replaced o rings. Flushed with Prestone Asian and back with Honda.

Back