Goodyear Company really surprised me

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 Lincoln Continental had tires rotated around 17k miles. Tires were OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season. After the rotation I noticed, later the same day, that the car had a terrible vibration at highway speeds. Went back to local Discount Tire the next day to have tires checked. It was discovered that the belts had separated on the two tires that had been moved to front.

OEM tire size was 245/40/20. Discount had no tires in that size. Had to go to 245/45/20 in a Pirelli Scorpion Strada All Season. Discount gave me full credit for the two bad tires. But I was out the remaining two good tires. I reached out to Goodyear. After contacting Discount Tire, Goodyear sent me a rebate voucher that doesn't expire for over $400 on my next purchase of any Goodyear tire.

My camper is now getting a set of Goodyear Endurance tires with the rebate voucher.

Thanks Goodyear!

Awesome! We don't hear that very often. Good PR move on GY's part. They probably know word of mouth is the best advertisement.

Goodyear or Michelin are the only brands I will ever run on my vehicles. (Unless I purchase one with a different brand, but when it's time for replacement it's Goodyear or Michelin).

Belt separation on two tires in only 17k miles? Having experienced this myself, this is the exact reason why I haven't purchased Goodyear tires in many years. The same goes for General. Personally, if they had sent me that voucher, I would sell it, along with the two "good" tires they removed.

I'm not really surprised. I've heard of people getting good service from Goodyear. I've run lots of their tires on my vehicles over the years and never had a set that I wasn't pleased with.

I have had great service from Discount Tire, whenever I've had an issue, though. (Not with Goodyear tires, but other brands.)

Originally Posted by WTJackalope
2018 Lincoln Continental had tires rotated around 17k miles. Tires were OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season. After the rotation I noticed, later the same day, that the car had a terrible vibration

Thanks Goodyear!

OEM = Good fuel economy/ bad tire

The only way those OEM Tires wear well is if you inflate 6 psi higher than the door says to

Funny part, put EXACTLY the same tire as came on the car new and you will get 50,000 miles out of the tire.

Had this same experience on every new car I've gotten, tires that came with the car are garbage, replace with the exact same tire and the 2nd set is great

Sorry but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I ran Continental's almost 70k on my 09 nissan and they still had life left. The whole "oem are bad tires" is downright rediculous. I was parked next to a brand new Honda today with Michelins. Unless your speaking of good years specifically? My wife's suv has hankooks that are wearing like iron, track straight as an arrow and are the quietest tire I've ever not heard. She's 25k into them and they have almost 8/32. It's a lease and I lacked on rotations and didn't do it till 15k and they're all still the same tread....almost.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
2018 Lincoln Continental had tires rotated around 17k miles. Tires were OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season. After the rotation I noticed, later the same day, that the car had a terrible vibration

Thanks Goodyear!

The only way those OEM Tires wear well is if you inflate 6 psi higher than the door says to

Funny part, put EXACTLY the same tire as came on the car new and you will get 50,000 miles out of the tire.

Had this same experience on every new car I've gotten, tires that came with the car are garbage, replace with the exact same tire and the 2nd set is great

Originally Posted by D1dad
Sorry but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I ran Continental's almost 70k on my 09 nissan and they still had life left. The whole "oem are bad tires" is downright rediculous. I was parked next to a brand new Honda today with Michelins. Unless your speaking of good years specifically? My wife's suv has hankooks that are wearing like iron, track straight as an arrow and are the quietest tire I've ever not heard. She's 25k into them and they have almost 8/32. It's a lease and I lacked on rotations and didn't do it till 15k and they're all still the same tread....almost.

Thanks Goodyear!

I've personally experienced this kind of difference between what appears to be an OEM tire on the car new, and the exact same tire bought as a replacement.

I can't speak as far as replacing oem with the same tires since they were always way more than I wanted to pay for a new set. I have always had good luck with oem as has most people I've spoke with. For the most part I think anything oem is overated and overpriced and I seldom replace parts with oem, especially on a brake system. Every oem rotor I've ever had has been garbage.

Thanks Goodyear!

Yeah, also don't agree with this. Had a used Civic with factory Michelin's. Lasted 55k and they were 50k tires, years back. Currently have a Toyota with factory Michelin. Have 50k and they're 60k tires. They have 6/32nds left. Wife has a Subaru with Toyos. 7/32nds left and 52k on them. I have ALWAYS gotten the mileage listed out of every Goodyear, Firestone, and Michelin I've owned. I don't get how people in this forum DON'T get mileage out of them. Rotate. Check alignment. Keep air at level you're supposed to. Drive moderately.

Some OEM tires are really the same as aftermarket... like MS/2's on older Honda Pilots... and some are not. Unfortunately a few here insist all OEM tires are thin cheap crap. Go wade through a decades worth of MS/2 threads on the piloteers forum before falling on that sword.

I've found with my last set of Dunlop's that it's not about if they'll last, because they will. It's how long you tolerate them. I just ditched a set with a ton of tread but became hard, pulled left and right and had a droan. That was after almost 40k though. Most folks would never hear it or feel it but I'm ocd with noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back