2014 pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mines car, 60k miles with the 3.5 V6. I have 4 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 thats pretty old, SM spec, that I dont have use for. Would it be ok to mix these 4 quarts with a quart of SN Pennzoil Platinum? I told her just to buy a quart and a filter and I'd change it for her. Jug of SM platinum looks to be from 2009 or 2010, pretty old.

Last edited:
Yes, it'll be fine. In fact, that old SM stuff might even be a superior oil. That happens sometimes - products are cheapened over time because the company wants to reduce the manufacturing cost and increase profits.

I know PPPP 10W-30 was tested at 4.7% Noack volatility a few years ago (one of the lowest volatility ratings in the business, irrespective of cost), but now there's some conjecture as to whether it's still that good, because it's been reformulated.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Friend of mines car, 60k miles with the 3.5 V6. I have 4 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 thats pretty old, SM spec, that I dont have use for. Would it be ok to mix these 4 quarts with a quart of SN Pennzoil Platinum? I told her just to buy a quart and a filter and I'd change it for her. Jug of SM platinum looks to be from 2009 or 2010, pretty old.

Shake it good when pouring and I prefer to buy a five quart jug for needing that extra quart. It's a-lot cheaper per quart. You will eventually use the other four quarts in that jug. Plus, odds are, it may need a quart between your OCI.

It's been a couple decades since I last purchased a single quart bottle for my vehicles. I even buy the gallon jug of Rotella T6 5W40 for my two push lawnmowers. It's oil I change every two years.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/servicemanuals/nissan/2014-pathfinder.pdf
It doesn't come out and say SN anyplace I could find but if you look at page 9-5 (or 456 of 492) it shows the API symbol with an SN marking.

YMMV but I wouldn't. It probably doesn't matter. But. I'd rather throw it away than risk someone else's car. If it was burning oil and this was make-up, no problem. If it was my own car, no problem. I doubt it matters over one OCI, especially a short one. But call me a nervous nelly, I just don't think 'd want to run the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back