Valvoline Advanced 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample taken from 5 qt. jug with code I1318F5 (mfg. date 9-13-18 correct?) recently purchased from Walmart.com during their $17.47 each sale on June 2.

I am currently using this oil in my Infiniti M45.

COMMENTS: AARON: There's nothing unexpected in this virgin sample of Valvoline Advanced 0W/40. The viscosity is in
the expected range and there is no moisture or insoluble material. The additives are standard for gasoline
or diesel engine oil. As long as this oil meets the particular engine manufacturer requirements, it should
work just fine.

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 0
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 0
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 74
SILICON 2
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 2558
MAGNESIUM 15
PHOSPHORUS 891
ZINC 1007
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 68.6
cSt Viscosity @100 C 12.58
Flashpoint in F 440
Fuel % -
Antifreeze % -
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.0

Valvoline PDS shows this oil should have a 13.5 cSt, so that seems a bit off.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
That's super....boring. No moly? No titanium? A little boron and a butt load of Calcium? Didn't Valvoline recently change it's formulation to include one of those?

Last edited:
Being a 0w.. is it possible they're using grp4/5 base stocks in lieu of AW additive moly?? Boron lvls appear to be about avg for (80ppm'ish)..plus the zinc and phosphorus levels appear to be on the high side of avgs.

I have used Valvoline 0w40 in my 2005 Sprinter and 2003 Audi both with good results. I mainly purchased it because at the time it was available for $18 for a 5 quart jug with a $5 rebate. It has as many, if not more, approvals as Castrol and Mobil 1 0w40.

How do you guys think this would do in a 2nd Gen EcoBoost 3.5? Sister just bought a 2018 Expedition. She lives 3 hours away, so I won't be doing her oil changes. There's a VIOC about 2-3 miles from her, though.

Personally, I think the Ca levels are too high for a TGDI engine.

Interesting that when you go to the PDS, Valvoline claims "Synthetic PAO base oil technology". No way to know a %, I supppose. Any guesses?

Wonder how this compares, as far as Ca levels, to, say, Castrol 0W-40 or Delvac 5W-40.

John
I would tell her to stick with 5W30 synthetic. Valvoline has a good one now.
FYI.... my nearest VIOC has a bulk tank that's filled with Citgo 5w30. Not 100% of all oils inside that place is Valvoline. That's how they advertise a 19.95 oil change

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
John
I would tell her to stick with 5W30 synthetic. Valvoline has a good one now.
FYI.... my nearest VIOC has a bulk tank that's filled with Citgo 5w30. Not 100% of all oils inside that place is Valvoline. That's how they advertise a 19.95 oil change

$19.95? That's super cheap. The VIOC near me charges $90 for synblend and $119 for full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back