One box, two OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hoping I'll see oil in this format at a reasonable price in Canada. So far, I've only found SOPUS Ecoboxes at parts stores, and their prices are far higher per litre than the typical sale prices on 5L jugs at Canadian Tire. Hopefully Wal-Mart will bring those Super Tech products this way.

Thanks bityw for informing members here of this new package.
thumbsup2.gif

I need to remember to keep my 5qt bottle to use for fill up. Only problem I see is having a container for used oil.

Just got back from my local WM. I didn't bite (yet) but saw they were bagged not individual quarts.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by passgas55
I need to remember to keep my 5qt bottle to use for fill up. Only problem I see is having a container for used oil.

That is my first thought too--right now when I do a change the waste oil goes right back into the new (now old) container. This would upset that process. I guess my oil burner isn't burning fast enough to enable this!

I dont like it. 3 gallons is heavy and hard to pour. And probably hard to guestimate how much has been poured without over filling. Plus, I like dumping my used oil right back into the container it came out of. Now I have to find a container to dump my used oil? I wont be buying any. I actually prefer the individual quarts myself but buy the 5 quart jugs on price.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I dont like it. 3 gallons is heavy and hard to pour. And probably hard to guestimate how much has been poured without over filling. Plus, I like dumping my used oil right back into the container it came out of. Now I have to find a container to dump my used oil? I wont be buying any. I actually prefer the individual quarts myself but buy the 5 quart jugs on price.

Agreed. While I like the idea of reduced waste, the 12 qt box is not attractive to me in any other way. It seems totally inconvenient.

With the box, I have to find a place to put it where it is convenient to dispense the motor oi into another container. I would have to measure out the motor oil into a secondary container to measure it out, then pour from that secondary container into my engine. Total muda (wasted motion). I always save the empty motor oil jugs to put the dirty motor in, so I can take it to the local Walmart or Autozone for recycle.

With the 5 quart jug, I can pour it directly into the engine. My Outback takes 5.1 quarts. I never worry about the .1 quart, and simply pour the entire 5 quart jug in. My E350 takes much more, but I can gauge pretty accurately using the markings on the side of the jug.

Good thoughts Bubba on the big sizing and awkwardness of the box.

I did see a used oil plastic container in a parts store recently. If I recall correctly, it was six quarts hold and may have been $7-8. Reusable of course.

I would have a problem finding a safe place to store this thing. Want to buy oil cheap? Get a 55 gallon drum with hand pump delivered directly from Warren Distribution.

As a casual shade-tree mechanic maintaining my family fleet and an occasional relative's oil change, this 12 qt box doesn't make sense due to measurement & storage issues. Maybe it's geared toward the heavy user and/or local shop that doesn't buy bulk oil.
Havoline's 6 qt box is perfect for my application.

Last edited:
In this case, I'm not sure that if some is good more is better. While I haven't seen or held the box yet, 12 qts would seem to be unwieldy especially considering sumps generally speaking ~5-6 qts. The Havoline 6qt box would appear to me to be the max size I would want to deal with.

That said, some may find the savings and possible work arounds like putting in saved jugs beneficial for their circumstances.

My question is, is it a spout or just a lid like the Havoline? That would make a big difference in how easy it is to handle.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
My question is, is it a spout or just a lid like the Havoline? That would make a big difference in how easy it is to handle.

I got a closer look at the box today. Looks like just a lid on the top center area of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back