Ultra-rare barn find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by atikovi
COPO as in Certified Pre-Owned?

central office production order...which I assume you already knew but others may not

I thought it was "Corporate Office Production Order" - - someone very high in the food chain has to sign off on the making of the build sheet. NOT a commonly ordered vehicle.

It was a Central Office Production Order and anything which would bolt in could be done. Anything would bolt into a GM A-Body, since they came with everything from anemic inline sixes to big blocks in the regular catalog. There was also a good choice of transmissions and rear ends.
This would have been a fairly inexpensive car when new.
Why someone bought it new and then stored it carefully for fifty years is a worthwhile question.
Fast?
By the standards of the time really quick but dog meat for some modern four cylinder turbos.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

It was a Central Office Production Order
Fast?
By the standards of the time really quick but dog meat for some modern four cylinder turbos.

Depending on gear ratio and tires, this would be a sub 6 second 0 to 60 car.
Stock rubber was 7.75X14 on a 6" rim I believe. That's like an E70X14 0r maybe P215/70.
I think F70X14 would be on an SS car. Corvettes used a 15X8 Ralley Wheel for the 1st time in '69. Up from 6" in '67 and 7" in '68.

Bias ply. Smoke 'em!

Last edited:
Dog meat..? Properly tuned, full length headers, some slicks and a numerically high rear gear ratio, an L72 Chevelle will run DEEP into the 12s at over 110mph. High 11s 112-114mph on a cool night and in the "good lane". That's pretty quick, even today.

Originally Posted by Powerglide
Dog meat..? Properly tuned, full length headers, some slicks and a numerically high rear gear ratio, an L72 Chevelle will run DEEP into the 12s at over 110mph. High 11s 112-114mph on a cool night and in the "good lane". That's pretty quick, even today.

That is quick and is much more so than anything I've ever owned.
High 11s?
That is getting there and is pretty remarkable for a car of the late sixties.
I still wonder why the buyer bought the car and then just parked it in really good storage.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

I still wonder why the buyer bought the car and then just parked it in really good storage.

In the video he mentions it being in storage since '88. I'm sure it wasn't driven a lot before that, but it may have been operational for almost 20 years before being stored. They also parked it around the time its value probably bottomed out. A lot of cars like this were not worth a lot in the 1980s.

Back in mid 70s I had a 1969 Chevelle. The fella I bought it from had dropped a 400 small block and went 4:11 gears.
At he same time I had a GTO. The title (Texas) had 64 1/2 on it. The fella I bought the 69 Chevelle from, together we freshened up the 389 the GTO had.
I also had a gas drinking oil leaking truck at the same time and he would not touch it.

Originally Posted by red7404
yep an other rare chevy. only 50 million made
Let me know when you find another plain Jane 69 Malibu with the big block hood and L72 427 from the factory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back