Corvette oil vs SRT Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me either is good. GM is getting paid by Mobil to have mobil products and vis versa for FCA. At least that is how I see it.

Not really brand loyal, but I'd take either.

At 6'4", I'd probably fit in any Hellcat better, but I'm not one to turn up my nose to a Corvette either.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Preferences?

For what application? Corvette, Hellcat, or my '03 Camry V6.

Because the answer is different for each.

Chevy recommends Mobil 1 0w40 ESP for the Corvette. FCA recommends Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0w40 for any of the SRT cars including the SRT Hellcat.

Preferences?

Neither, unless I have an application that specifically requires one. And if it does, then it's usually pretty specific as to which one.

Would use Pennzoil in either one, 50+ yrs with Pennz..
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Rat407
To me either is good. GM is getting paid by Mobil to have mobil products and vis versa for FCA. At least that is how I see it.

How much are they getting paid?

Chevy recommends Mobil 1 0w40 ESP for the Corvette. FCA recommends Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0w40 for any of the SRT cars including the SRT Hellcat.

Preferences?

Both oils are mediocre.

Originally Posted by edyvw

OK maybe it is the other way around. Mobil was the least expensive oil to GM could find to purchase and vis versa for FCA?????

OK maybe it is the other way around. Mobil was the least expensive oil to GM could find to purchase and vis versa for FCA?????

Neither. Mobil and GM have a partnership, just like FCA and SOPUS have a partnership. This means they work together to develop lubricants and perform lubricant testing and then the OEM will recommend their partner's product, which in turn increases their partner's sales. It's beneficial for both parties. Mobil has a similar relationship with Porsche, Mercedes AMG and a few other marques. BMW and Castrol used to have something similar but that's now changed to SOPUS.

I'd guess it's in the form of pricing agreements rather than actual transfer payments. Back in 2000s era when I was working, Mobil was used across the board in GM N America engine factory fill so GM was buying many gallons of their oil. Not sure if that continues today?

The early SRT cars with the 6.1l had Mobil1 0w40 printed right on the filler cap. It just depends on the agreements that each manufacturer has with whatever oil company at the time.

Originally Posted by Olas
Sponsorship deals do NOT determine viscosity selection - CLIMATE determines viscosity selection.

I'd say that used to be the case, but now with everything spec'ing 5w-20/0w-20 I don't think it is. Application/usage profile is what appears to drive the use of grades beyond the seemingly universal xW-20. The high performance rigs end up spec'd with 0w-40 in many cases now.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Olas
Sponsorship deals do NOT determine viscosity selection - CLIMATE determines viscosity selection.

I'd say that used to be the case, but now with everything spec'ing 5w-20/0w-20 I don't think it is. EPA/CAFE profile is what appears to drive the use of grades beyond the seemingly universal xW-20. The high performance rigs end up spec'd with 0w-40 in many cases now.

There I fixed that for you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back