Camry vrs Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
If I had to drive something for 250,000 miles I'd want something a lot more entertaining than either, absolute reliability be [censored]. Unless you're broke, life is too short to drive boring.

B.T.W..
This is transportation to and from work to get good milage on a 80+ mile round trip.
My Tahoe and Avalanche serves the other purposes in my life

Originally Posted by CT8
Low price or low cost.

My Man! Preach it....
thumbsup2.gif

Toyota

Last edited:
I had a 1995 Camry and I got this same memo on it. Lol. I put 225k miles on it and gave it to my brother

20200129_095634.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
If I had to drive something for 250,000 miles I'd want something a lot more entertaining than either, absolute reliability be [censored]. Unless you're broke, life is too short to drive boring.

"There are no boring cars, only boring drivers." — Mario Andretti

+1. Go with the Camry. If boring means almost never having to visit a dealer, bore me.

Given the choice I'd go with '17 Camry, even though is more expensive upfront, you'll get that on the back sale

Long term Toyota hands down especially for a $2k-$3k difference.

Hyundai has some tarnishes along the entire way including engine replacements. So its reputation/perception is not golden like Toyota Camry which makes it way easier to sell for a decent price when you decide you have enough.

If you can find a $4k-$5k difference in pricing I would suggest looking at Hyundai but I think they expensive personally with their asking prices currently.

I would go with a Camry. Better track record for going high miles without trouble. Oil changes @10k. Hyundai will probably want to put you in severe service schedule at 3,750 miles.

I just got rid of my 2016 Sonata for a 2017 Camry. While the Sonata was more bang for the buck (have to put in aftermarket CarPlay in the Camry), I sleep better at night with the Toyota. The whole Theta II engine fiasco is still sort of a black hole. Issues are reported up to and including 2018 MY vehicles. If it's not spontaneous failure, it's sudden severe oil consumption. The car was very reliable for the 70k miles I had on it, but I didn't like my growing anxiety over the engine, which started to develop a low-end knock. After 120k miles, you're on your own with engine replacements, Hyundai does some "goodwill" but it has been leaked that it is based on how many Hyundai's you've owned before.

Get the Toyota, that is the last year of a bulletproof and simple powertrain we will never see again. Dead reliable 2ar-fe engine on the 6-speed Aisin automatic, a pair that should make 300k easily on routine maintenence. The Camry has a much smother and better powertrain delivery, though it does feel a touch smaller inside than the Sonata. Both handle bumps on the road about the same.

As far as price difference, let's say you keep the vehicles to 180k. The Sonata will be hard to find a private buyer for over $1,000, while the Toyota can probably still fetch $4k.

Last edited:
Good luck getting to 250,000 in a Fiat.

A. I will never drive a car to 250,000 miles, as rust will kill it long before that

B. It would take me 25 years to drive 250,000 miles, I have 0 desire to drive ANYTHING that old. Got anymore snarky remarks?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by pandus13

OP,

I would recommend a Honda Accord Hybrid. I think it does not come with the "Honda" tax.

I'd recommend one too.
While I don't know about this "Honda tax" not applying, check my sig.
I do know that one would be cheap to run, quiet and comfortable on a long daily commute.

Looks like I will lean toward camry.
2018 and up gets great milage

Maybe Camry are better now, but they were horrendous and boring cars the past few times I had them as loaners -

I couldn't wait to get out of them - terrible.

I had a Malibu rental and it SLAUGHTERD the Camry.

A '90's Buick Regal slaughters a Camry

I'm sure they are reliable..

Camry keep going bC people keep throwing parts and $$ at them from what I've seen and heard at my workplace

If you plan to keep it, the Camry. Though, Hyundai quality has improved leaps and bounds except for the engine issues that affected the Alabama-built models. Since the Sonata has flooded rental and Lyft/Uber fleets(from Hertz/Enterprise and Lyft Express Drive/Fair for Uber), you can get a better deal used on the Hyundai - just do some diligent PM(oil, trans and a once-over of the chassis).

Since the Sonata has now replaced the Prius as the de facto car for Uber/Lyft, I've been in my fair share of them. They're not bad, the 2006 model was the turning point for Hyundai but they aren't anything special. The Sonata interior is nicer than the Camry, but it's vice versa to how they feel on the road. I thought the Sonata felt isolated, like an old Lincoln or Caddy.

The new Sonata looks sharp - it was designed at Hyundai-Kia's German studio, it doesn't have that typical Korean me-too look. For a long time, the Koreans imitated the Japanese or had Italdesign or Pininfarina pen out their designs. But then again, Mitsubishi propped up Hyundai and Kia was an arm of Ford via Mazda.

The Camry has been transformed since Toyota has switched the 2018 model to TNGA, their new architecture introduced on the 2016 Prius and C-HR. I was over at The Critic's shop once and I took his rental Camry around the block for a spin. It still feels Toyota restrained, but it feels much better to drive. Dare I say, sporty but not like a Accord?

Originally Posted by 14Accent

"There are no

"There are no boring cars, only boring drivers." — Mario Andretti

I can't believe I've never heard that quote! So true. I've had some BORING cars that I've taken to 9/10ths of their limit and boy was it a hoot. Picture a 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4, auto trans, drifting through a snowy parking lot at 2AM kind of fun. One of the most boring cars ever to be built, yet I was having an absolute blast. I still miss that car... kind of.

I could say the same about my Volt. Is it boring? For sure. But it's actually quite fun throwing it in to corners and generally beating on it. It's got a low center of gravity, decent (and instant) torque, and good enough seats to keep you relatively secure. That's plenty of fun in my book.

There was a famous race car driver who used to drive around in a Suzuki Samurai or some such. He said it was the only car he could drive at the limit at legal speeds.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Maybe Camry are better now, but they were horrendous and boring cars the past few times I had them as loaners
I couldn't wait to get out of them - terrible.

I had a Malibu rental and it SLAUGHTERD the Camry.
A '90's Buick Regal slaughters a Camry
I'm sure they are reliable..
Camry keep going bC people keep throwing parts and $$ at them from what I've seen and heard at my workplace

ARCO, I didn't realize that your Jetta and Crosstek drove like a Ferrari 250GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back