6.0 powerstroke engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mattd
Diesels will produce approximately 1.5-2 times the torque as a gas engine.

I get 18-20 unloaded in my 8000 lb 6.0 F350 and I get about 14- 15 or so towing 10k lbs.

And parts for this particular engine aren't nearly as expensive as your examples. And it's has 1 turbocharger.

Mattd: thanks for updating this thread
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Reviva does not have a very good reputation. Any idea how long that one ran?

Sounds like the reviva didn't reviva. Lol

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by super20dan
the 6.0 is very easy to hate. just the fact the cab has to come off is a deal breaker. esp if its an escursion

Try working on a Duramax with the cab on.
lol.gif

Had to do head gaskets on an LLY 2500 van one time. Pulled the entire body off the frame. Not as bad as you would think.

I helped a buddy do head gaskets on a 2500 Sierra once, cab still on. That is not an experience I wish to repeat, also the 2 Allisons we replaced due to his tuning.
33.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't get the fascination with diesels in light trucks. I understand Joe 6-pack thinks he's Mr. Macho driving around in one with that loud clatter and belching smoke, but the late models don't even do that any more. Parts prices are high, injectors can run hundreds of dollars each plus there are injection pumps and turbochargers to go bad. Give me a gasser in a late model pickup over the diesel anytime.

You've obviously never towed a large enough load to need a diesel... It isn't a "fascination" for those of us that actually use them. I get it with the mall crawler kids and stupid stretched tires and wheels crap, I see that all the time here in Florida but when it comes to work and really hauling heavy, your little 6.0 in that GM wouldn't stand a chance.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Don't get the fascination with diesels in light trucks. I understand Joe 6-pack thinks he's Mr. Macho driving around in one with that loud clatter and belching smoke, but the late models don't even do that any more. Parts prices are high, injectors can run hundreds of dollars each plus there are injection pumps and turbochargers to go bad. Give me a gasser in a late model pickup over the diesel anytime.

You've obviously never towed a large enough load to need a diesel... It isn't a "fascination" for those of us that actually use them. I get it with the mall crawler kids and stupid stretched tires and wheels crap, I see that all the time here in Florida but when it comes to work and really hauling heavy, your little 6.0 in that GM wouldn't stand a chance.

Transmissions will, if they don't already, reduce the need for them. Have 10 speeds and you don't need 800 ft lbs torque. It's already in the small light duty trucks. Whoda thought 10 years ago a 2.7L engine would be in 5500 pound pickups (F150). It won't be long before the larger ones get that too.

I've done a lot of towing with a few different GM 6.0's, and a lot of towing with a number of Ford and GM Diesels. There is just no comparison if you tow heavy and often. I can get the job done with a gas 6.0, but it's a strain on the truck and painfully slow at times. That said... if I only occasionally hauled or hauled smaller loads, I would have bought a gas for sure, the new diesels are more complicated and cost more to buy initially and to maintain/repair. My 2017 L5P is doing a regen every 60-80 miles while hauling heavy on shorter trips. On the highway with an empty trailer (7,000 lbs) I can see 500 or more miles between regens.
I am really interested to see how Fords gas 7.3 holds up for people that tow heavy with them. I haven't had a change to drive one, but they look pretty quick from the videos I've seen. If it would tow what I need to and hold up I would be interested, the emissions crap on the new diesels is a hassle all the way around. Then again...they are talking about particulate filters for gas engines coming soon.

B4A59150-6A25-49F8-85C0-A1639D95B274.jpeg

DB05C76E-9047-400D-A4C9-4A158BA3C3ED.jpeg

3AD6F2AF-5B2E-4540-8090-AB50519EDDF9.jpeg

86DCB800-1402-411E-9050-974ED333B126.jpeg

Just to update the thread on the original topic..

Truck is all done, road tested and runs great. I'm keeping it overnight for one final road test after a cold soak and then it'll be good to go.

Thanks for the interest. A few big projects on the horizon so I'll have some more for you guys in the near future.

I'm not a fan of brodozers or rolling coal to flaunt one's lack of confidence(or size) either. When it comes to hauling heavy loads or high payloads you can't beat a diesel. Even in the city, I still see loaded down utility trucks and small car carriers powered by a PSD/CTD.

The new Ford 7.3 gasser should be interesting for construction fleets not wanting to deal with SCR/DPF. The limo companies running party buses and school bus fleets would be interested too if offered in the E-Series cutaway chassis.

Last edited:
And this was the damage to the front cover for those that are curious

8C5BEC71-2B12-477A-B45D-4B9BB19FBEF4.jpeg

Transmissions will, if they don't already, reduce the need for them. Have 10 speeds and you don't need 800 ft lbs torque. It's already in the small light duty trucks. Whoda thought 10 years ago a 2.7L engine would be in 5500 pound pickups (F150). It won't be long before the larger ones get that too.

As soon as a gas powered truck is rated to tow the weight my truck does, with the same fuel efficiency, I'll be happy to buy a gas powered truck. Until then...

I've watched several videos of the new 7.3 Ford gas engine. The gas mileage wasn't that great. I believe it had the 3.55 rear gears and 10 speed automatic. They were towing a 40 ft horse trailer with living quarters and a water tank filled with water and total weight was about 14,000 lbs. It only got about 5.6 mpg. Unloaded traveling the same road it got right at 15 mpg. They also tested a new chevy with the 6.6 gas engine and whatever automatic they are using now and it got slightly better towing and empty. I don't remember what rear gears it had. I think it got around 6 mpg towing the same trailer and about 16 mpg empty.

Originally Posted by wtd
I've watched several videos of the new 7.3 Ford gas engine. The gas mileage wasn't that great. I believe it had the 3.55 rear gears and 10 speed automatic. They were towing a 40 ft horse trailer with living quarters and a water tank filled with water and total weight was about 14,000 lbs. It only got about 5.6 mpg. Unloaded traveling the same road it got right at 15 mpg. They also tested a new chevy with the 6.6 gas engine and whatever automatic they are using now and it got slightly better towing and empty. I don't remember what rear gears it had. I think it got around 6 mpg towing the same trailer and about 16 mpg empty.

So a bit more than half the weight I'm towing, and a bit more than half the MPG I get while towing. And less MPG when just driving the truck by itself, which is rarely. I guess I'll keep my Diesel truck for now.

Just to update the thread on the original topic..

Truck is all done, road tested and runs great. I'm keeping it overnight for one final road test after a cold soak and then it'll be good to go.

Thanks for the interest. A few big projects on the horizon so I'll have some more for you guys in the near future.

Thank You for keeping it on topic and all updates sir
smile.gif

Thanks for the updates Matt......Do you replace the Injector Hold Downs? I run across a lot of problems with them on "previously serviced by a Knothead" 6.0L PSD's.

That Oil Pump saw it's fair share of trash!

I had to replace a couple yes, the torx bits were quite boggered up. Yes it did see quite a bit of junk. The covers are reasonable now. Comes with the cover, the crankshaft seal, cover gasket, new geroters, and a new LPOP cover, regulator and hardware. Also comes with all new fittings for the water inlet/outlets with bolts. 450$ for it all. I thought that was cheap. They used to be expensive.

Originally Posted by super20dan
the 6.0 is very easy to hate. just the fact the cab has to come off is a deal breaker. esp if its an escursion

An Excursion isn't that much more difficult, I take my work boots off & do all the interior work in my socks! A few extra wiring connectors & the filler neck. Replaced heads on a V10 Excursion once.....Screw doing that with the body on!

Pulling the Cab/Body is so easy....I do it on gas powered Super Duty trucks if any major work needs to be done. Had a 2008 F-250 3v 5.4L break a exhaust valve spring on #4.....Good luck doing that job with the cab/evaporator box in the way! It also needed Phasers & Timing Chains.

Matt is doing this on Rescue/EMT vehicles, Which is a whole other can of worms & add-on wiring!

I love all the 6.0 haters... makes its that much more enjoyable when I blow by their pretty Dodge or Izuzu (duramax) in my 15 year old Ford towing twice the load.
smile.gif

Get rid of all the shortcomings on them very early in their life and they are very reliable, powerful work horses. Delete the EGR right away, drain and flush that junk G05 coolant and put a real ELC diesel coolant in. Install a coolant filter and monitor your oil temps. Change your oil regularly and use a quality HDEO, use all Motorcraft filters and drive it hard! Babying these trucks kills them. They aren't meant to be mall crawlers or for gramps to ride to lowes on the weekends. We tow a 3 horse LQ, loads of hay, cars, and anything else I can hook to the B&W gooseneck. I have all original injectors, never had a valve cover off and never has she left me stranded even on 975mile journeys from VA to Florida.

Oh, and get the FICM reprogrammed with the ATLAS40 flash and keep fresh batteries in them!!!

In other words: the 6.doh is great...after you re-engineer half the engine, make it impossible to register in many places, pour a few thousand dollars down a rat hole, and watch everything like a hawk in the hope it doesn't blow up anyway. Just how much Kool-aid do you have to guzzle to own one of these, again?

The 6.doh is the Yugo of the diesel truck world. They are best suited for sale by the pound as scrap metal.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I love all the 6.0 haters... makes its that much more enjoyable when I blow by their pretty Dodge or Izuzu (duramax) in my 15 year old Ford towing twice the load.
smile.gif

Get rid of all the shortcomings on them very early in their life and they are very reliable, powerful work horses. Delete the EGR right away, drain and flush that junk G05 coolant and put a real ELC diesel coolant in. Install a coolant filter and monitor your oil temps. Change your oil regularly and use a quality HDEO, use all Motorcraft filters and drive it hard! Babying these trucks kills them. They aren't meant to be mall crawlers or for gramps to ride to lowes on the weekends. We tow a 3 horse LQ, loads of hay, cars, and anything else I can hook to the B&W gooseneck. I have all original injectors, never had a valve cover off and never has she left me stranded even on 975mile journeys from VA to Florida.

Oh, and get the FICM reprogrammed with the ATLAS40 flash and keep fresh batteries in them!!!

In other words: the 6.doh is great...after you re-engineer half the engine, make it impossible to register in many places, pour a few thousand dollars down a rat hole, and watch everything like a hawk in the hope it doesn't blow up anyway. Just how much Kool-aid do you have to guzzle to own one of these, again?

The 6.doh is the Yugo of the diesel truck world. They are best suited for sale by the pound as scrap metal.

And admitting in a public forum to violating federal law. What's that now? A $10,000 fine?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
smile.gif

And admitting in a public forum to violating federal law. What's that now? A $10,000 fine?

Luckily I don't live in a communist state where it matters... don't really give a [censored]. Its my truck and I'll do whatever I want to it to increase its durability and protect my investment.

I'll gladly hook my Yugo to any load your Dodge or GM will haul any day of the week!

Thanks for all the pics and information. ) Sounds like it will now be a great truck for the owner. One quick thought... maybe scrape the Reviva stickers off? The current owner will know it is not a Reviva rebuild, but if it changes hands....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back