Okay to suddenly abandon Hi-Mi oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My van, the 05 Odyssey in my sig, is very much used to hi-mi 0w20 or 5w20. I can't remember the last time I used a regular non-high mileage oil, probably at least 4 years.

Not that I mind using hi-mi oil but my stash right now is overflowing with non-himi 5w30 and 0w20 full synthetic oils (RGT, M1, ProDS, etc). I have this fear that if I abandon Hi-Mi formulas now, that seals will slowly lose their "swollen" effect and I'll start to see some seepage.

Lots of luck with Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver. You could use it and see if it seals in.If so, micro dose use the next time after and if it dry discontinue afterward.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I go back and forth all the time between HiMi and vanilla flavor.. there's no big puddle of oil in my driveway. A bad seal is a bad seal no matter the type of lube used.

That is misleading. If you have a bad seal, that is a legitimate use of a hi-mi oil with seal swellers. If you don't have a bad seal, or every other seal that wasn't bad, is degraded from seal swellers and wears faster from being introduced to them. Seal swellers will make a good seal wear out faster. This bears repeating. Seal sweller will make a good seal wear out faster.

So, have the good seals worn out to the point where they leak now without the seal conditioner? The only way to know is to try it, and they will be swollen a while after introducing regular oil, but eventually, you will have more leaks from having used the high milesage oil with seal swellers than if you never did, so once that becomes problematic you'll want to switch back to using HM oil with seal swellers.

The best advice is, do not use high mileage oil with seal swellers until it's necessary to seal, and do not switch back because you've compromised all your seals by using it. Going back and forth is the worst thing you could do, and yet, engines are pretty robust and survive despite this mistreatment. They just don't survive as long as if you'd never done it.

The OP has a very legitimate concern and should stick with the high mileage oil. A stash of oil is worth nothing compared to the aggravation dealing with burning or leaking, fouling cats or O2 sensors, spark plugs, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I go back and forth all the time between HiMi and vanilla flavor.. there's no big puddle of oil in my driveway. A bad seal is a bad seal no matter the type of lube used.

That is misleading. If you have a bad seal, that is a legitimate use of a hi-mi oil with seal swellers. If you don't have a bad seal, or every other seal that wasn't bad, is degraded from seal swellers and wears faster from being introduced to them. Seal swellers will make a good seal wear out faster. This bears repeating. Seal sweller will make a good seal wear out faster.

So, have the good seals worn out to the point where they leak now without the seal conditioner? The only way to know is to try it, and they will be swollen a while after introducing regular oil, but eventually, you will have more leaks from having used the high milesage oil with seal swellers than if you never did, so once that becomes problematic you'll want to switch back to using HM oil with seal swellers.

The best advice is, do not use high mileage oil with seal swellers until it's necessary to seal, and do not switch back because you've compromised all your seals by using it. Going back and forth is the worst thing you could do, and yet, engines are pretty robust and survive despite this mistreatment. They just don't survive as long as if you'd never done it.

The OP has a very legitimate concern and should stick with the high mileage oil. A stash of oil is worth nothing compared to the aggravation dealing with burning or leaking, fouling cats or O2 sensors, spark plugs, etc.

Your logic seems on point in relation to seal swellers such as what is in oil stop leak products. However, hi mileage oils claim to not use seal swellers but rather seal "conditioners". Are they the same additives but different names? I don't know but I don't think they have enough additive to do much so switching back and forth probably won't be an issue. Of course, a damaged seal makes no difference - that needs to be fixed. I don't start using a hi mileage until closer to 100k miles because I would rather not deal with replacing seals if I can help it. Not sure if the HM loil actually helps but I have 2 vehicles that have been on M1 HM oils and are leak free. My personal view is once you go to HM you should probably stay with them but if the OP has a big oil stash I am sure running the regular oil in between HM oils should pose no issues.

Last edited:
I e mailed valvoline on there HM oil years ago, they said there is more seal conditioners in there HM oils. They said they don't use seal swellers

Originally Posted by Dave9

This is a false statement. Show me one bit of scientific evidence, not anecdotal, that supports your claim.

Use of a HiMi oil isn't going to degrade a good engine seal. Seal conditioning agents (SCA's) don't attack and breakdown natural and synthetic rubbers like a solvent might. Seal conditioners act much in the same way a salve for your skin does, it restores elasticity and to a very small degree volume. The effect on a good seal is to keep it from drying out. Fact is, most every major oil mfg produces a HiMi formula and recommends use of their HiMi formulas in engines of all ages, including new(er) engines. See attachments.

Like I said, I have nearly 170k on the original valve stem seals and main seals with no leaks/burning, and I regularly go back and forth between HiMi and vanilla. I guess I'm waiting for this "degradation" effect to which you speak of?🤔 So if you do know something about seal conditioners that ExxonMobil or Chevron doesn't, please share. (and fwiw many of these companies, like Chevron & XOM, have guarantees warrantying against any lubricant related failures)

Valvoline MaxLife..
[Linked Image]

Mobil 1...Mobil 1 Link
[Linked Image]

Chevron Havoline HiMi...(will not void mfg warranty)
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
This post is exactly why I don't "stash" oil.

I keep a two year supply...... about 8-9 five quart jugs. Only keep one year supply of oil filters..... I believe it's 2 or 3 currently.

If I were that heavy into High Mileage oil, covering many years, I wouldn't abandon it.... not without a good reason.
Building regular oil ''stash'', due to fantastic buys out there these days, is arguably a good reason..... if money's tight these days.

If money is not a reason, then the health & welfare of the vehicle's future must be good.... like getting a clean bill of health from the family doctor.

Last edited:
Since the OP wants to use more of his non-HM stash, I would mix the HM with non-HM in equal parts at the next oil change. Dip a toe in, see how it goes.

I alternated high mileage synthetic 5w30 and conventional non-high mileage 5w30 for a few years in my 99 Explorer . I did not encounter any problems with leaks or consumption .

Posting advertising fluff like it is gospel is not scientific evidence. Posting your own anecdote to counter another member's anecdote is not scientific evidence either.

I don't stash oil, because it is a sign of mental illness. The shared delusion is rampant on this forum though. It's a weird compulsive behavior. Completely irrational. No matter cheaply you bought the oil in your ‘stash' you will soon find there is another deal just as good or better between now and your next oil change. Deals are posted daily here.

Originally Posted by wdn

I don't stash oil, because it is a sign of mental illness. The shared delusion is rampant on this forum though. It's a weird compulsive behavior. Completely irrational. No matter cheaply you bought the oil in your ‘stash' you will soon find there is another deal just as good or better between now and your next oil change. Deals are posted daily here.

That's not accurate. I don't horde vast quantities of oil, but when I saw the deal on the Ravenol I currently have 2x OCI's of for the Jeep, I bought enough for three OCI's, because I hadn't seen it priced that low before, or since. Right now, through Blauparts, it is significantly more expensive than what I paid for it and I've already changed the oil once during this period.

Yep, Mobil 1 AP, VME, and RGT at $2/quart is a clear sign of mental issues. Especially when you know the make up and that it will be dropped from production

Last edited:
OP - all manufacturers claim that there is no issue switching back and forth. I'll tend to listen to Mobil, SOPUS, Valvoline, and Chevron when it comes to this, vs Gerald down at Acme Auto.

I don't horde oil because I tend to be fickle. I like trying new things. I'll usually keep one OCI for each vehicle on hand along with a extra quart of whatever is in the sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn

So is forum trolling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back