Cost/Performance Synthetic for Extended Interval (time, but not mileage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the crazy Mobil 1 Synthetic deals (5 qt + filter for ~$20 after MIR) seem to have dried up, which synthetic has good cost/performance for extended intervals on an 06 Acura TL (at 90K)? I only drive about 5K/yr, so I have been running extended time intervals (usu ~12 mo, but did an 18 mo interval once). The OCI computer recommends ~7.5K, regardless of time.

On dino oil (have tried Pennzoil, Shell, whatever Acura uses in their dealerships), I only get about 3-6 months (despite the low mileage), before there's mild surges and decelerations on upshifts and downshifts in normal driving conditions.

With Mobil 1 Synthetic, I can get 9-15 mo before these symptoms start up. At 12 mo on Mobil 1, the oil is brown/amber and not black. In the last few years, I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic (not Extended Performance) or the Synthetic High Mileage randomly, and oil consumption is < 0.25 qt/5K with no noticeable leaks.

I used Amsoil once in the past and drove 10K in 1 yr before the changing it out, but it did not have any of these symptoms at time of change.

I've been eyeballing Red Line, since its highly recommended on Acurazine, and hoping for an experience as good as Amsoil, but since Red Line is expensive, I'm also considering a name brand mid-priced synthetic (eg similar to Mobil 1) on a good deal. For example, Castrol Edge Extended Performance is on sale at Walmart for $18/5 qt and seems to be well regarded here. Probably with a $10 Mobil 1 M1-104A oversized filter (or the spec designated M1-110A). There are a lot of mid-priced synthetics, and I can't really tell the difference between them.

Any other deals on a good synthetic oil +/- filter that I should consider?

---

If it matters, I'm using Red Line Lightweight Racing ATF (Type F) with Red Line D4 ATF (65%/35%). In the past, I have tried Amsoil OE Fuel Efficient Synthetic ATF, Castrol Transmax Import ATF, as well as Honda OEM ATF (probably Z1), with no differences in experiencing surge/deceleration symptoms at extended oil life.

Mobil 1 AP would be my pick....Or Castrol Edge EP if you prefer that brand. 1 time per year no matter the miles, with a Fram Ultra for a filter.

Last edited:
Patience. The Mobil1 $17 oil & filter rebate will likely begin again, like clockwork, in the spring.

$33 for 5q and a filter - $17 rebate = a steal only bested by clearance RGT that's free on rebate.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

First of all,
welcome2.gif

You're going to get plenty of recommendations…Mine is that any off-the-shelf quality synthetic will take you one year and 5000 miles… Easily.

Thanks for the advice, on the fence on whether to go with the Fram Ultra or wait for the Mobil 1 rebate.

Originally Posted by krutone
Thanks for the advice, on the fence on whether to go with the Fram Ultra or wait for the Mobil 1 rebate.

Either/or would work just fine....
These are not things to worry over.

On dino oil (have tried Pennzoil, Shell, whatever Acura uses in their dealerships), I only get about 3-6 months (despite the low mileage), before there's mild surges and decelerations on upshifts and downshifts in normal driving conditions."

I'm trying to figure out how this could happen.

For the OP. Since you are new, I called your original oil syn-blend, because if it's 5w30 or lighter, it's almost certainly syn-blend (with approximately 50% type III)--even if the bottle doesn't say so. Not that Redline isn't better than VWB, but read some of the newsletters on the Blackstone labs site. They look at a lot of different oils and state that all oil that meets spec for the engine is about the same as far as wear is concerned.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider 12-18 months and/or 5-7.5K miles extended.
your computer also recommends 7.5K ...

I've also never experienced any engine oil related symptoms like you've described.
Trans fluid maybe ...

Since you like more expensive oil, might as well use them especially if they get rid of or reduce the symptoms.

I never found a good explanation for the symptoms. Best I could come up with is increased drag with older oil causing slightly missed rev matching on an auto.

Yeah, my OCI isn't extended compared to people going 15-20K. The reason I do an oil change is because the very slight kicking bugs me, even though I know its not hurting anything. I think I'll go with the consensus and stay with an off the shelf name brand, and hold off on the expensive stuff for when it really bugs me.

Originally Posted by krutone
I never found a good explanation for the symptoms. Best I could come up with is increased drag with older oil causing slightly missed rev matching on an auto.

No, conventional/syn-blend/synthetic changes will not result in the surging symptoms you describe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back