Michelin LTX A/T2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace my tires in about 5K, current running factory Goodyear A/T type tires. Looking for feed back on anybody who has experience with the Michelin LTX AT2 tires. This tire comes stock from Ford on the F250 with "20 wheels my truck uses "18. Thanks for any feedback ðŸ‘

I ran two sets of them on my Silverado and they never let me down. I was most impressed with their ride comfort and quietness.

I think the Michelin brand in general is over hyped sometimes. I also think specifically, the LTX A/T2 are over hyped at times, too. They are expensive, but you generally get what you pay for. These really are good tires. Are they worth the price? Maybe, or not. It just depends what you expect out of them and your budget.

That tire is Michelin's off-road version. Supposedly a solid tire, but does not wear quite as well as the LTX Defender.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Looking to replace my tires in about 5K, current running factory Goodyear A/T type tires. Looking for feed back on anybody who has experience with the Michelin LTX AT2 tires. This tire comes stock from Ford on the F250 with "20 wheels my truck uses "18. Thanks for any feedback ðŸ‘

LTX is a very good tire but they have tread cracking. I was assured it is 100% safe though. I'm not sure if I'm getting them again.
I am looking at an 06 Explorer with goodyear A/Ts from 2014 and I notice there is very slight sidewall cracking

I had a set of the LTX AT2s. Decent tires but at 6 years the cracks started around the tread blocks. Watched the cracks grow and deepen so later in the year changed them out to Continental AT tires.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help. From doing a little searching the Michelin tire is pretty much in the same price range of Goodyear and BFG
My truck calls for 275/70/18E and most tires come in around
$230 a tire that I've found so far.

Last edited:
I have had several sets of the LTX AT2 and have been minimally impressed. Expensive tire for what it is. It's a very mild "AT" tire that offers little benefit off-road. Stick with the Defender LTX as the real world consensus from the many forums I peruse is that they offer the same, if not better traction in a myriad of climate conditions than the AT2. If you would like a solid AT tire that has the mountain snowflake for snow traction and has mild road manners, grab a set of KO2's.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
If you don't go off-road frequently, skip the AT/2 and get the Defender LTX.

I've run the Defender tire several times on different vehicles with excellent results. Logged 93K on a set on one of my previous F150's granted it was about 60K miles of interstate driving, but they are very good tires

From doing a little searching the Michelin tire is pretty much in the same price range of Goodyear and BFG

Check out Tirerack.com if you haven't yet. There are lots of great user reviews there. Personally, I "sort by price" for my size, then choose the first tire I see with good ratings. Tirerack.com has free shipping right now too.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
From doing a little searching the Michelin tire is pretty much in the same price range of Goodyear and BFG

Check out Tirerack.com if you haven't yet. There are lots of great user reviews there. Personally, I "sort by price" for my size, then choose the first tire I see with good ratings. Tirerack.com has free shipping right now too.

I looked at tire rack but didn't notice the free shipping
Thanks for the heads up !ðŸ‘

The Michelin AT tire is a weak spot in their lineup and is not nearly as competitive as some of their other tires.

I'd skip and go with another highly rated brand/model of AT tire

Also how about just giving us the tire size you need instead of

"20 wheels my truck uses "18. ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Rand
The Michelin AT tire is a weak spot in their lineup and is not nearly as competitive as some of their other tires.

I'd skip and go with another highly rated brand/model of AT tire

Also how about just giving us the tire size you need instead of

"20 wheels my truck uses "18. ðŸ‘

I did
It's in the post above

275/70/18E

With just about 100K driven on the KO2's with a wide range of vehicles, they are hands down the best all around AT tire. The '19 Tundra just got outfitted with the same size that you are considering- 275/70/18.

Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007
With just about 100K driven on the KO2's with a wide range of vehicles, they are hands down the best all around AT tire. The '19 Tundra just got outfitted with the same size that you are considering- 275/70/18.

Me son just put a set of KO2'on his F150
He Ioves em

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
If you don't go off-road frequently, skip the AT/2 and get the Defender LTX.

I go off-road quite often and I still recommend the defender ltx.

AT tires are a terrible compromise. Decorative sidewall rubber is NOT a selling point for people who actually use their tires.

Work trucks with HT's do far more "off roading" than all of the hobbyists combined.

It boggles my mind why people buy tires they don't need for the 1 or 2% of their overall mileage that is spent off road.

I prefer to buy tires that provide me with the best performance in the environments in which they are used most often.

I'm on my 3rd set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S-2 (well, only the most recent set has had the "Defender" moniker) on my 2007 Tacoma that now has a total of almost 226K. I'm on my 4th set of tires, total, on the truck.

I get about 70K out of the LTX M/S-2, running slightly lower pressures than what's called for on my door jamb (I went up from the stock 265/70-16 to a 265/75-16). I was running 26F/29R, down from 29/32 stock pressures. This set, I decided to up the pressures to 35/35 in an attempt to coax some more life out of the tires. Because, in my opinion, I should be able to get more than the 70K they're warranted for in such a light truck. I've heard of guys with half-ton pickups getting more mileage on them than what I got.

I've been very happy with them overall, obviously. Yeah, they're expensive at over $800. But traction is great, and I especially love the wet traction. Resistance to aquaplaning is some of the best of any tire I've driven on.

I run the stock size on a 3/4 ton diesel and have had good luck with mine. Probably will get another year out of mine as I average 18k miles a year. For an AT they're definitely more street biased but the ride and handling have better than previous tires I've run. I'd buy them again if I don't I'd get the Defender LTX next time around possibly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back