06 Explorer v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove one and really liked it. My 96 is getting very rusty and I don't want to bother with it anymore. The aftermarket walker SS mufflers rot out every 2 years. Gas tank is rusty and leaks. Lots of tubing replaced. If not for the salt rot it would be fine.

Drive was perfect. Shifts well (I heard though the 6r60 could act up). Otherwise, I like it better than a 20 Ex I test drove (had some shift issues). I was thinking of buying new but the price really put me off.
No cam phaser noise. Sounds like a new engine starting up in the cold. Has the 3v 4.6L. Has meticulous oil change history. New plugs and ford coils. Very strong for a big SUV.

It does have some issues at 100K -
Tiny leak in manifold (getting replaced on both sides), and a cat code (may be from the leak, or it gets replaced).
Rear axle seal starting to weep, I'm going to replace that and change the diff oil,
New rad (the rads are mounted cattywampus and leak because of torsion)
Otherwise looks very well cared for. A bit of rust.

Very powerful, great ride and nice size. I like the styling too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Depends on the price. $1200-$1500, good deal. $2500, pass. Personally, if I was buying 14 year old SUVs, I'd stay away from the rust belt.

No, a clean, running 100K, SUV here in very good condition with repairs isn't selling for $1500.
That is what my 96 would sell for.

Yeah, in good condition it's worth closer to $3K5 but more like $2K8 depending on the extent of the issues mentioned and subjectively, your ability to DIY repair those, unless it has extensive frame rust then I wouldn't touch it at any price.

There are a lot of people out there that prefer the old truck based SUVs because they'll last so long if you can repair them yourself, and will pay more for them which is keeping the depreciation rate lower than it used to be... at least until gas prices go back up to $4/gallon which is bound to happen eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ford46guy
Depends on the price. $1200-$1500, good deal. $2500, pass. Personally, if I was buying 14 year old SUVs, I'd stay away from the rust belt.

No, a clean, running 100K, SUV here in very good condition with repairs isn't selling for $1500.

$2500 doesn't even get you a clean 90s Explorer lol...first or second gen. I want to know where this guy is getting SUVs for those prices lol.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek

$2500 doesn't even get you a clean 90s Explorer lol...first or second gen. I want to know where this guy is getting SUVs for those prices lol.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/glyndon-2005-ford-explorer-xlt-clean/7060251128.html

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/glyndon-2005-ford-explorer-xlt-clean/7060251128.html

Third gen. Not a V8 like the one OP is looking at.

Last edited:
I have an 06 Explorer Limited with the 4.6L 3V and 6R60. Bought it new, has 151k on it, no rust at all. Interior looks new.

I have replaced the radiator once and done normal maintenance by the book. Nothing else has been an issue.

It consumes no oil and drives great. I have been exceedingly happy with it. I plan to keep it indefinitely. In fact, I sent it out for paint yesterday.

In central Florida, 4th gen V8 Explorers in as clean as shape as mine sell for $6000 all day, often more.

My ‘06 replaced a ‘96 XLT with the 5.0L. If the price is right for your area, buy it, fix the minor issues, and don't look back.

$2500 doesn't even get you a clean 90s Explorer lol...first or second gen. I want to know where this guy is getting SUVs for those prices lol.[/quote]

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/glyndon-2005-ford-explorer-xlt-clean/7060251128.html [/quote]

Third gen. Not a V8 like the one OP is looking at. [/quote]
Yeah, the V6 is not even competition. But this is what they ask here... (mine was around 4k):
2006-v6-150K @ 6 grand
https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/d/glens-falls-2006-ford-explorer-eddie/7065289492.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by getawheel
I have an 06 Explorer Limited with the 4.6L 3V and 6R60. Bought it new, has 151k on it, no rust at all. Interior looks new.

I have replaced the radiator once and done normal maintenance by the book. Nothing else has been an issue.

It consumes no oil and drives great. I have been exceedingly happy with it. I plan to keep it indefinitely. In fact, I sent it out for paint yesterday.

In central Florida, 4th gen V8 Explorers in as clean as shape as mine sell for $6000 all day, often more.

My ‘06 replaced a ‘96 XLT with the 5.0L. If the price is right for your area, buy it, fix the minor issues, and don't look back.

I had the 06 on the lift and it does have rust. I guess 16 winters is enough, even though mileage is low. I'm sure it got used in the worst conditions.
You are lucky to be in FL. The rockers are starting to go on it. I stood and bounced on the passenger running board and I could hear some creaking and corrosion. What a shame.

The frame though held up very well, all solid. I'll have to think about it. Problem is everything has rust here.

See this 2006 with 129K going at the auction tomorrow in Fredericksburg VA. Auction estimated price is $1500.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Txcargeek: yeah, the 06' Explorer woman had that plowed me, it had 68k on it. I dug up vin and her parents paid like $4k for that before she totaled it.

I had the 06 on the lift and it does have rust. I guess 16 winters is enough, even though mileage is low. I'm sure it got used in the worst conditions.
You are lucky to be in FL. The rockers are starting to go on it. I stood and bounced on the passenger running board and I could hear some creaking and corrosion. What a shame.

The frame though held up very well, all solid. I'll have to think about it. Problem is everything has rust here.

I would definitely pass on that one. You'll be in the same boat you are now within a couple of years.

I think 06-10 is a definite improvement on the 02-05 as far as reliability goes, and they fixed a lot of things like the dumb liftgate, but I still think 2001 and earlier models are better vehicles overall unless you need third row seats. You can still find rust free ones down here, sometimes with low miles, though most are 2WD. I have a completely rust free 1994 4x4 XLT 4-door I bought in December of 2018 (has a lot of miles though) and one of my friends had a 1996 2WD XLT 4-door until recently (sold to his coworker) that looked basically new with 128K miles on it. If you just want something different, I get that, I just don't think 2002 and later improved on much and reliability/durability was sacrificed in some areas. I think they fixed it by '06, but Ford even managed to make the 8.8 rear end unreliable in the IRS models. First and second gens are almost all over 20 years old now, with the oldest ones at over 30, but the pushrod 4.0L is an incredibly reliable engine, the solid 8.8 is what you expect from an 8.8, and in my experience, even the automatic transmissions are great except for early A4LDs. Aside from rust, the biggest risk with second gens is a SOHC 4.0L with timing chain problems, and now most of those are fixed, dead, or never had the problem. As for the transmissions, the late build A4LD in my '94 shifts perfectly, and 4R55E/5R55Es are really pretty reliable if maintained. The 5.0L/4R70W combo was also excellent. A clean one from down south that Grandma put 125K on driving to the grocery store and church might have just as much or more life left in it as one that is 10+ years newer, especially a rusty one.

Here's my rust free 255K mile hooptie...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

I would definitely pass on that one. You'll be in the same boat you are now within a couple of years.

I think 06-10 is a definite improvement on the 02-05 as far as reliability goes, and they fixed a lot of things like the dumb liftgate, but I still think 2001 and earlier models are better vehicles overall unless you need third row seats. You can still find rust free ones down here, sometimes with low miles, though most are 2WD. I have a completely rust free 1994 4x4 XLT 4-door I bought in December of 2018 (has a lot of miles though) and one of my friends had a 1996 2WD XLT 4-door until recently (sold to his coworker) that looked basically new with 128K miles on it. If you just want something different, I get that, I just don't think 2002 and later improved on much and reliability/durability was sacrificed in some areas. I think they fixed it by '06, but Ford even managed to make the 8.8 rear end unreliable in the IRS models. First and second gens are almost all over 20 years old now, with the oldest ones at over 30, but the pushrod 4.0L is an incredibly reliable engine, the solid 8.8 is what you expect from an 8.8, and in my experience, even the automatic transmissions are great except for early A4LDs. Aside from rust, the biggest risk with second gens is a SOHC 4.0L with timing chain problems, and now most of those are fixed, dead, or never had the problem. As for the transmissions, the late build A4LD in my '94 shifts perfectly, and 4R55E/5R55Es are really pretty reliable if maintained. The 5.0L/4R70W combo was also excellent. A clean one from down south that Grandma put 125K on driving to the grocery store and church might have just as much or more life left in it as one that is 10+ years newer, especially a rusty one.

Here's my rust free 255K mile hooptie...
[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful ex. Yeah I have the 4.0 OHV and mechanically its perfect. That isn't the issue. The v8 combo from the 90s is even better.

I've seen trucks like yours around here... rednecks have them in the sticks and they have more rust than metal. They still drive them. The frames hold up well.

See this 2006 with 129K going at the auction tomorrow in Fredericksburg VA. Auction estimated price is $1500.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

4.0?

They may be overpaying. The guy selling my ex said each 4.0 needs extensive work - either engine and/or trans.

Auction prices don't mean anything. You can get a vehicle worth $5K for $1K at an auction if you know what you're doing and/or get lucky.

Similarly, car ads that claim perfect, clean, runs great, etc, don't mean anything either. It's called puffing and has nothing to do with reality because they're sold as-is.

The funny thing is when someone tries to claim something like prone to transmission problems but the same person would say a Honda is reliable, when (just about every) Honda tranny is like glass compared to the 5R55 in those explorers.

Nothing lasts forever, don't buy a sub-$3K vehicle and expect it to last long term and don't expect cost of ownership for an old SUV to be as low as for an otherwise equal quality same-age car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Aside from rust, the biggest risk with second gens is a SOHC 4.0L with timing chain problems, and now most of those are fixed, dead, or never had the problem. As for the transmissions, the late build A4LD in my '94 shifts perfectly, and 4R55E/5R55Es are really pretty reliable if maintained.

A buddy of mine, whose family adopted me(my parents live across the street from them) has a 98 XLT 2WD. He bought it when his uncle died. While the truck only saw quick lubes down in SoCal for most of its life and the tires/wheels were swapped out during the Firestone debacle for Goodyears(he still has the "new" Goodyear on a never mounted wheel underneath) the drivetrain is still ticking with 144K - no death rattle.

He changes the oil every 3K with ST synthetic and filters. I recently did the plugs/wires with NGK G-Power(wishing I've used Autolite Iridium XPs instead) and Motorcraft wires, wheel bearings and ATF/filter with Kendall VersaTrans fluid and a Chinese Filtran filter. Only things I can see going out soonish are the water pump which I installed a Chinese O'Reilly pump since the Motorcraft one from Amazon had a bad casting and the fuel pump - he installed a Carter.

Except for the paint and a windshield leak(which I'm advising him to get the glass replaced, Safelite hacked it up) it's still running good. I don't have a pic on my phone.

I own an '07 Explorer XLT with the 4.6 and about 152,000 miles. I am the 2nd owner - from about 80,000 miles. Rust is starting to show on the usual places and we will likely move on in the next year from it.

To date, this has been one of the more maintenance prone late model vehicles I've owned.

The exhaust manifolds needed to be replaced (warped). Very common. Listen for loud ticking when cold that goes away as it warms up. Expensive repair.

Radiator has been replaced. These are prone to the issue.

Leaking coolant hoses, a bad seal on the transmission, 2 abs sensors, 1 rear wheel bearing (another not cheap and not easy repair), 1 front left wheel bearing and the right front is on its third unit (no cheapest here either). Leaking front axle seal, sway bar links on the front twice, rear strut/coil units failed, etc... There is plenty more, and not much of it is a surprise or unknown.

Drinks fuel like it's going out of style. 14.5 mpg average. My full size truck easily beats the fuel mileage.

Early 4th gen units with the V8 have some clunky downshifting in some cases. I found it on about 1/2 of the 06 and 07 units I drove.

Yes, a last of the body on frame, non full size SUVs. There's a reason. They were put out to.pasture...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back