The "benefits" of low unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rekit
I have a step and a nephew that shouldn't be near tools. Now the step is a Doctor and the nephew works at home doing IT and is doing VERY well. Just bought a Land Cruiser. Those of us that work with our hands don't understand their world and vice versa sometimes but that's ok.

Yep.

Different career fields for different people. Not everyone wants to get greasy and dirty.

Random people won't know what's a Philips or Posidrive drive. That's just the way it is.

Concerning myself, I learned about this when I was 15, and discovered JIS last year (I'm 32). Makes me humble.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Well, other side of the coin is this dude and many like him may not have the skill set to get a higher per hour wage. Ever think of that?

Your stating that, doesn't make it true. At the very least the minimum wage should have kept up with inflation, and part time work should receive an equivalent % of full time work benefits.

It's not a business's responsibility to provide a living wage for an adult who may have not done what they could have done to better themselves at an earlier age.

Sure it is the business's responsibility to provide enough to keep their worker healthy and returning instead of the rapid turnover rate which hurts everyone.

Your post seems ignorant of reality when you wrote "an adult who may not have done what they could have done to better themselves" because the fact is, many adults did do what they could, ended up with student loan debts, but over-educating the population does not increase the number of skilled jobs. You can cite individual cases where an education helps an individual but that does not apply to the entire worker pool.

I'm sure the excuses are about to flood this post but end of day we all have choices and we make em. Those choices have outcomes.

Not applicable. You can have 100 Hard Worker Bees who are qualified for 50 jobs. They all worked about as hard and made about the same life decisions, but there are not 100 jobs for them. You seem to be in the set of 50 that got job "x" and want to pretend you made better choices when that is sometimes true but very often not true.

Reminds me of the dad who confronted Elizabeth Warren stating he worked multiple jobs and put his kid through college while his neighbor just drew debt and how is it he should benefit from being bailed out of student debt.

What reminds you of that? You feel you can take one isolated incident and assume it applies to the majority, let alone everyone? That is more like deliberate refusal to accept the state of the middle class shrinkage in america than an accurate portrayal of choices and consequences. The fact is, you can work just as hard and make choices just as good as that father you referred to, but today forward instead of decades ago till now, and have a quite different outcome. It is a sad situation for kids just getting out of high school today.

Instead of beliefs based on anecdotes, look at the statistics, but all of them, not just those cherry picked to support an agenda.

Luv them or hate them building trade unions apprenticeships from the first day on the job your training begins. Learning comes from the mechanics you work with, day and night school. Knowing what level, plumb and square are, working safely, instructors that wants everybody to succeed including the contractors.

Took my Tacoma in for it's second 100K timing belt-water pump-hoses job to a new place after my regular guy retired and noticed some of the "mechanics" were working at auto parts stores a few years ago. I guess they went to a trade school or just OJT but good for them. Got another 40K on it now so I guess they got it right.

I just had a set of new Goodyear tires put on my 2004 Silverado.

Mistake #1 - Employee #1 (likely 18 years old) processed the work order with standard valve stems (since it is a 2004). However, the truck has newer wheels with TPMS stems. No one ever took the effort to even look at the truck, and honestly, I'll let that mistake slide.

Mistake #2 - Guy installing the tires (likely yet another 18 year old) sees the work order that states standard stems, and sees wheels with TPMS stems. Instead of asking a simple question of the manager, who was in the shop that morning... or of the person who processed the work order... or of me, who was there the whole time...he takes the easy way out and leaves the 6 year old stems in place and does *nothing*, assuming that no one would notice.

I didn't notice the old stems until I got home. So, instead of it being a one trip, two hour project... it turned into a two trip, four hour project. And no one apologized for anything. Not the installer, not the shop manager, not the general manager... no one. And this, from a family owned store (which I've bought my last set of tires from).

And it is all the rage to demand $15 a hour pay for this...

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Mistake #1 - Employee #1 (likely 18 years old) processed the work order with standard valve stems (since it is a 2004). However, the truck has newer wheels with TPMS stems. No one ever took the effort to even look at the truck, and honestly, I'll let that mistake slide.

Mistake #2 - Guy installing the tires (likely yet another 18 year old) sees the work order that states standard stems, and sees wheels with TPMS stems. Instead of asking a simple question of the manager, who was in the shop that morning... or of the person who processed the work order... or of me, who was there the whole time...he takes the easy way out and leaves the 6 year old stems in place and does *nothing*, assuming that no one would notice.

I didn't notice the old stems until I got home. So, instead of it being a one trip, two hour project... it turned into a two trip, four hour project. And no one apologized for anything. Not the installer, not the shop manager, not the general manager... no one. And this, from a family owned store (which I've bought my last set of tires from).

It is counter intuitive isn't it? Just like Bell's Inequality. Pay more and you get a more educated workforce. Pay less and you get worse help.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
Two years out of school and is doing very well.

He really doesn't need to know much about tools, they aren't part of his world.

Nope. He will just log on to some /r page and gripe to his fellow web nerd network about the ridiculous cost to replace a water heater/oil change/spark plug service or change out a light fixture.

A high percentage of these lower paying jobs don't give very much of an increase to someone who is much more intelligent thus the high turnover and lack of product knowledge. The auto parts store is just a stepping stone for a better job with more pay and benefits.

When I was 20ish I worked at a Pep Boys. I had been working on dirt bikes since 8 and had 4 years of high school auto shop. I would like to think I did ok. Did tune ups,brakes,alignments etc. Was trying to work my way up the totem pole. A guy came in on roller skates fresh out of high school,didn't have any tools and no automotive knowledge whatsoever.

THEY HIRED HIM AT A POSITION ABOVE ME WITH MUCH BETTER PAY!

Talk about a slap in my face. I quit soon after.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

This is a management issue. It has nothing to do with age or wage.
Ultimately, I consider myself responsible for my vehicles.
I double check the work done, especially on tire work as tire shops are always crazy busy around here.

It's not a business's responsibility to provide a living wage for an adult who may have not done what they could have done to better themselves at an earlier age. I'm sure the excuses are about to flood this post but end of day we all have choices and we make em. Those choices have outcomes.

No, but it's society's responsibility, and society gets to regulate the entities (people and businesses) that exist within.

If someone wants to work, and this guy not only wants to work but wants to help, they should make enough money to have their basic needs met. If they don't, something is wrong with capitalism, and the top 1% are ripe to be the ones answering for this problem.

At O's I don't think they want their employees to know anything... seriously. That is where I buy my wix filters and somehow they screw up what they bring to the counter about 50% of the time. As a stark contrast we have a regional chain called Sturdavents auto parts. The dudes in there are salty. Most of them are old mechanics. I actually like going in that place.
And I'm betting that is the best paying parts house in town because those dudes are hustling.
The dudes in oreilly not so much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Well, other side of the coin is this dude and many like him may not have the skill set to get a higher per hour wage. Ever think of that?

Your stating that, doesn't make it true. At the very least the minimum wage should have kept up with inflation, and part time work should receive an equivalent % of full time work benefits.

It's not a business's responsibility to provide a living wage for an adult who may have not done what they could have done to better themselves at an earlier age.

Sure it is the business's responsibility to provide enough to keep their worker healthy and returning instead of the rapid turnover rate which hurts everyone.

Your post seems ignorant of reality when you wrote "an adult who may not have done what they could have done to better themselves" because the fact is, many adults did do what they could, ended up with student loan debts, but over-educating the population does not increase the number of skilled jobs. You can cite individual cases where an education helps an individual but that does not apply to the entire worker pool.

I'm sure the excuses are about to flood this post but end of day we all have choices and we make em. Those choices have outcomes.

Not applicable. You can have 100 Hard Worker Bees who are qualified for 50 jobs. They all worked about as hard and made about the same life decisions, but there are not 100 jobs for them. You seem to be in the set of 50 that got job "x" and want to pretend you made better choices when that is sometimes true but very often not true.

Reminds me of the dad who confronted Elizabeth Warren stating he worked multiple jobs and put his kid through college while his neighbor just drew debt and how is it he should benefit from being bailed out of student debt.

What reminds you of that? You feel you can take one isolated incident and assume it applies to the majority, let alone everyone? That is more like deliberate refusal to accept the state of the middle class shrinkage in america than an accurate portrayal of choices and consequences. The fact is, you can work just as hard and make choices just as good as that father you referred to, but today forward instead of decades ago till now, and have a quite different outcome. It is a sad situation for kids just getting out of high school today.

Instead of beliefs based on anecdotes, look at the statistics, but all of them, not just those cherry picked to support an agenda.

Let us know when you've started 'Benevolent Jobs 'R' Us'. Since you'll be paying wages and benefits that all your employees will be completely satisfied with, I may even come out of retirement and apply for a job...

As for the parts store employee that didn't know what a Phillips screwdriver was, I say he knows now, and will likely continue learning throughout his life. Just as all of us will hopefully continue to do. Good for him for having the initiative to go and get a job.

I have a lot more respect for him than those who have spent their life on welfare, and who wouldn't work if their life depended on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back