‘16 Lexus GS350 vs ‘16 Lexus RX350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there;

I was thinking what's the community take on these used cars; I plan to replace my Mazda6 sometime in December/January 2020/21, with something nicer; my list is pretty long so I'd start with these two; I opt for this age because their facelift edition or all new generation at this production age

What to look for, and what are the strengths/weaknesses of the vehicles and what would you get; also, would anyone recommend F features on one these Lexuses; my budget will be in sub $25k

I'd thank you to all constructive opinions and suggestions!

Apples and oranges, the GS is a RWD(with optional AWD) mid-sized luxury sedan and the RX is a FWD(with optional AWD) mid-sized luxury SUV. I haven't spent enough time in a GS but the RX is more or less a more luxurious Highlander, which also shares its drivetrain and much of its chassis with the Camry and Sienna(the current RX hasn't switched over to TNGA).

The GS will be the sportier of the two, the RX isn't exciting but it's practical and reliable - which is why it's a best seller for Lexus. Both cars will have the 2GR engine, the RX uses a newer version with Atkinson cycle for better efficiency(and it's dangerously near the GS350's 306HP engine too!). The GS is comfortable, while it might not handle as well as a 5 Series or A6 it holds its own. Not too many issues from the 2GR-FSE/2GR-FXS, oddly enough the Tacoma version is having valve spring issues.

The F Sport package on both is mostly cosmetic - it does add some suspension and brake tweaks to the GS, while on the RX it adds on an LFA-style instrument cluster and different grille.

I will give you some advice. As you can see, I am an old model Lexus fan. Go to some Lexus forums (clublexus.com is really good) and do a lot of study of each of those models. You will see what the owners have to say.

Also, and what believe to me the best advice I can give you is to go the www.Lexus.com. Sign up as a member.

Then get the VIN's of the Lexus's you are looking at and enter them as your own vehicle. You will then be able to do a "Service History" and see any work that was done on them by Lexus. It will show you all the repairs that were made my their shops. Battery replacements, oil changes, brake jobs, coolant changes, warranty work, body work, etc. The last 3 Lexus I purchased had really good service records. It takes me about 6-9 months before I find a "perfect" one. I try to purchase from a Lexus Dealer. I primarily search the Lexus dealers in NC, TN, AL, GA, FL and SC. NC and FL have been my "honey holes."

Authentic service records are my #1 criteria along with a car that has lived its entire life in the SE USA.

I sold Lexus vehicles for a while. 2016 was the first year for the facelift and all-new underpinnings. I know the biggest complaints are uneven ie not flat driver and passenger footwell. The Air conditioning was loud on early vehicles from what ive heard and the air con seats were a bit weak but seemed to be better later on. Heavily grungy seats were difficult to clean. Since 2016 was the initial year it was more a la carte, the 2017 added some standard features. The GS350 has a tiny backseat for its class and the 6 speed transmission is a little clumsy. The RWD version comes with an 8-speed transmission and is smoother but no dual clutch. It drives nice but see if you like the touch sensitive navigation. I had customers walk over it. It's reliable and relatively easy to take care of. Good luck.

I have both cars, sorta anyway.
Our 2018 RX450h is almost the perfect vehicle. Rock solid dependable and good mileage. So comfortable.
I run it in normal or sport mode to stiffen it up. You will love it. Perfect Costco car.
No one does hybrids like Toyota.
On a 100 mile drive on interstate 280, south of SF during a rain storm, the AWD performed flawlessly. Inspired confidence...

The 2013 GS350 F Sport will spoil you. It is a real performer; planted to the road.
Mileage is poor, brakes squeal when cold. The F Sport is much more car than the non F Sport.
The 2016 refresh apparently softened up the suspension just a taste.
The F Sport has staggered tire sizes; my car wears the expensive Michelin Pilots.
The GS is old school; no turbos, etc, kinda outdated as it was new for the 2013 year.
This is not a good winter car...

Both cars have outdated GPS; no Carplay / Andriod Auto.
Go to your dealer and drive both. I highly suggest you consider a CPO car for the warranty and services.
I think $25K might be a little weak for one of these cars; good luck.

Be warned - Lexus quality will spoil you.

Last edited:
That's a pretty broad range of vehicle types... more like something you would have both of vs. one or the other.

That being said, assuming you're only buying one, I would take the RX350. It's an amazing overall value, very well built, and versatile. You don't need AWD in Georgia I assume, so that simplifies maintenance requirements. It will ride better than the GS, get close-to or equal-to fuel mileage of the GS, have similar repair/maintenance costs, and be much more versatile. Say you want to go out and buy a new 65" TV for the big game. Can you slide that bad boy in a GS? Nope. But an RX will handle it find, no need to have it delivered or borrow a car (I know, delivery service. I don't trust them on items like that).

My vote is for the RX, given the choices.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Say you want to go out and buy a new 65" TV for the big game. Can you slide that bad boy in a GS? Nope. But an RX will handle it find, no need to have it delivered or borrow a car

Generally, Lexus owners are able to refrain from making hasty decisions like buying grossly over-sized TV's to impress people they don't like.
That behavior is reserved more for the Dodge Durango/F150/Silverado group.

With that in mind, my vote goes for the GS!

If a car works for you, and can commute your roads, 24/7/365, then the answer will always be "get the car ". Better handling, mpg, speed, you name it.

Lexus makes boring, if solid cars that hold up well. Pick your poison, and be prepared to be humbled by most any bmw/audi/honda/ nissan/anything really, in the speed dept.

Originally Posted by Ws6
... and be prepared to be humbled by most any bmw/audi/honda/ nissan/anything really, in the speed dept.

Have any info to back that statement?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Ws6
... and be prepared to be humbled by most any bmw/audi/honda/ nissan/anything really, in the speed dept.

Well, it's as easy as looking up the performance data for a lexus 350 and then the others as mentioned in its class.

some great information here; I thank you all for your sound advice!

As 14Accent posted, you kinda need both.
If you can have only 1, the RX is the sensible choice. FYI - I would only buy AWD for the stability.
For fun, the GS is a world class car. I would buy another, even with its faults.

Good luck.

I own 13' GS Fsport AWD .
Great reliable car , 110K miles on it ,and the only thing that "broke" is battery , bought new one few months ago .
Being awd is great in all weather conditions, we drive a lot in snow and ice ,with good winter tires this thing is unstoppable. Its fuel mileage is kind of bad , on average worse than my 18' mustang GT .But then, no other unexpected expenses .

Originally Posted by irekm
Great reliable car , 110K miles on it ,and the only thing that "broke" is battery , bought new one few months ago .
Being awd is great in all weather conditions, we drive a lot in snow and ice ,with good winter tires this thing is unstoppable. Its fuel mileage is kind of bad , on average worse than my 18' mustang GT .But then, no other unexpected expenses .

so how much did they change the car between '13 vs '16, let alone esthetics?

Originally Posted by miden851

Mechanically, its the same car

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Ws6

Well, it's as easy as looking up the performance data for a lexus 350 and then the others as mentioned in its class.

Uhm, sorry to burst your bubble but there's many other attributes to performance than simply 0-60 times.
It's all about balance of several factors and not only focusing on one aspect such as acceleration.
Oh and nobody is humbling me in my RWD is350, especially not those in a bmw, honda, Mazduh etc.

My 11 is an excellent vehicle (dependability wise) but the ABS is horrible in the snow. I don't think its the tires, but it may be.

Originally Posted by ford46guy

My 11 is an excellent vehicle (dependability wise) but the ABS is horrible in the snow. I don't think its the tires, but it may be.

The more "integrated" Toyota ABS/ESP systems such as VDIM that's used in their hybrid SUVs and the IS/GS as well as the Prius/CT-specific deployment tend to be touchier than their normal systems. At least you can disable the newer Lexus VDIM implentations.

Toyota also has a knack for installing mediocre OEM tires too.

Originally Posted by miden851

The 2013 GS350 used the 6 speed AT, 2014 on used the 8 speed, except AWD which continued to use the 6 speed.
Some say the 8 speed hunts more for the right gear.

The GS had incremental improvements such as retractable side mirrors, LED lights, etc.
2016 was the refresh; many say the suspension was softened somewhat.
The refresh included a new dash speedo, etc.

The GS is a bit outdated; it is due for an update. In fact, it is certainly possible the GS line will be discontinued.
Sales numbers probably do not justify building the car. I am not sure the GS is sold in Europe; I think the ES replaced it...
But I can tell you our car, a loaded 2013 GS350 F Sport, is a great car.
If something happened to mine I would get another tomorrow.

Lexus owners are rabid about their cars (2nd only to Tesla owners).
There is a reason for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back