Toyota haults production due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think not much from a worldwide perspective. Demand in China has been dropping in most segments which Toyota plays in.

Its not just Toyota. Its hundreds/thousands of factories, closed down or severely limited capacity due to this virus. Expect shortages. Every day supplies like electronics, computers, TV's, iPhones, etc will definitely be in short supply for the time being.

If it goes global, and it probably will, expect a very large recession, perhaps like the 1929 stock market crash. Schools will close, businesses will close, no manufacturing, grocery stores closed, no fuel, no truck drivers delivering fuel/food/goods, people out of food, civil unrest. Basically, this can be the worst catastrophe the world has seen in a very long time.

We will know in a few weeks/months, how bad it is. Depending how bad it gets you might even see entire countries collapse and smaller war lords in control of certain areas, like what you see in Somalia.

Not to hijack thread, but why doesn't this have a name? SARS, MERS, and the common cold are all corona viruses if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure the Chinese want to keep geography out of this new diseases title, but if they don't want blame they shouldn't eat bats. Unless there's lots of obfuscation, I doubt if this will be as deadly as the Spanish Flu, or any other annual influenza outbreak for that matter.

Originally Posted by dhldmoore
Ya - Toyota made the Corona from 1957 to 2001 - here

Bought a third generation Corona in the mid-seventies. Used car lot. Owner said "lucky for you I'll give you an extra two hundred off because my father just died and I'm grieving. Get here with the money before ten Friday so I can go to the funeral." When I was paying him, I said that I knew he was in a hurry because the service was starting in a half hour. He said that he had to miss it, because someone else was coming in to pay for a car. Business ahead of family and all that.

Right out of the movie "Used Cars", but the Corona wasn't bad for something out of the mid-sixties. Think I traded in a Renault R16 on it. That's another story.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Its not just Toyota. Its hundreds/thousands of factories, closed down or severely limited capacity due to this virus. Expect shortages. Every day supplies like electronics, computers, TV's, iPhones, etc will definitely be in short supply for the time being.

If it goes global, and it probably will, expect a very large recession, perhaps like the 1929 stock market crash. Schools will close, businesses will close, no manufacturing, grocery stores closed, no fuel, no truck drivers delivering fuel/food/goods, people out of food, civil unrest. Basically, this can be the worst catastrophe the world has seen in a very long time.

We will know in a few weeks/months, how bad it is. Depending how bad it gets you might even see entire countries collapse and smaller war lords in control of certain areas, like what you see in Somalia.

Dude, the common FLU virus kills far more in the US than any of the previous virus outbreaks have; this one included. I believe your commentary is totally irresponsible. Hey, as stated by politicians so it must be true, we have 10 years left on earth if we don't fix the climate!!

Thanks for the laugh, panic much!?

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Depending how bad it gets you might even see entire countries collapse and smaller war lords in control of certain areas, like what you see in Somalia.

Documentary here:
https://youtu.be/ZuPgXDWMB-Q

Egads, all the more reason to stock up on motor oil. And filters too!

At least if all goes to heck, we'll still have BITOG.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Dude, the common FLU virus kills far more in the US than any of the previous virus outbreaks have; this one included. I believe your commentary is totally irresponsible. Hey, as stated by politicians so it must be true, we have 10 years left on earth if we don't fix the climate!!

The common flu kills on average something like 3 people out of every 1000 that get infected with it. THIS new super flu kills 50-200 out of every 1000 that get infected. IT IS FAR worse. The standard flu is not very spreadable, perhaps infecting less than 1 other person on average from every infected person. THIS new super flu infects 3.5 to 8 other persons. For every one single person that gets it, far more people get infected with this flu, than the regular flu. Smaller countries with better healthcare systems will have lower rates of spread than China but it's still a nasty bug.

At this point, it probably can't be stopped. It's too far wide spread. Yeah, your entire life you've been told about one scare after another that turned out to not be a big deal. This probably isn't one of those moments. The world health organization are declaring this a worldwide emergency tomorrow, since all the experts in the field have been screaming at them to do so and they haven't yet... but they will tomorrow. A GLOBAL emergency.... not just a Chinese problem.

Have you looked at the infection rate tables(that have been 100% accurate)? In just a few weeks time we can be looking at hundreds of thousands of cases , then onto millions of cases. And then a worldwide pandemic that is unstoppable. It will absolutely change every person on this planet.

If you haven't thought about the possibilities, why haven't you? You should making preparations as if a hurricane was out in the Atlantic and you lived on the coast.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Thanks for the laugh, panic much!?

Wait and see. I think this is far worse than you understand. Watch some real time videos on twitter and you'll see this is an absolute beast.

Originally Posted by BISCUT

The common flu kills on average something like 3 people out of every 1000 that get infected with it. THIS new super flu kills 50-200 out of every 1000 that get infected. IT IS FAR worse. The standard flu is not very spreadable, perhaps infecting less than 1 other person on average from every infected person. THIS new super flu infects 3.5 to 8 other persons. For every one single person that gets it, far more people get infected with this flu, than the regular flu. Smaller countries with better healthcare systems will have lower rates of spread than China but it's still a nasty bug.

At this point, it probably can't be stopped. It's too far wide spread. Yeah, your entire life you've been told about one scare after another that turned out to not be a big deal. This probably isn't one of those moments. The world health organization are declaring this a worldwide emergency tomorrow, since all the experts in the field have been screaming at them to do so and they haven't yet... but they will tomorrow. A GLOBAL emergency.... not just a Chinese problem.

Have you looked at the infection rate tables(that have been 100% accurate)? In just a few weeks time we can be looking at hundreds of thousands of cases , then onto millions of cases. And then a worldwide pandemic that is unstoppable. It will absolutely change every person on this planet.

If you haven't thought about the possibilities, why haven't you? You should making preparations as if a hurricane was out in the Atlantic and you lived on the coast.

It isn't the subject itsef and I have thought about it quite a bit. It's the alarmist nature of the post I was commenting on. Common sense precautions is about all you can do for yourself and family at this point. Government is often a total failure in so many areas BUT disease and pandemic outbreaks they often do a pretty good job at isolating and developing a treatment. Hopefully the best minds on the planet can develop a stop gap quickly.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
We have it in north Finland now. The young women is from Wuhan.

A Chinese woman suffering from coronavirus was transferred to Rovaniemi Central Hospital in Lapland yesterday for isolation. According to Broas(doctor), she is currently in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back