Motul vs Shell

hey hey people
smile.gif

i have an opel astra k 1.6 litre CDTI (B16DTH GM diesel engine). opel tells me the engine oil specs as follows: 5w-30 and dexos®2 certified.

as of now i have Motul 8100 X-clean EFE in the sump. thinking of trying Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG since i am due an oil change soon.

would you say one is better than the other? (they seem really close. then again, i don't know much about oils)

[Linked Image from i.vgy.me]

(left: motul | right: shell)

Welcome, without looking at any other data but what you posted I would continue using the Motul.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Welcome, without looking at any other data but what you posted I would continue using the Motul.

thank you.
how can i find more detailed specs? this is what the vendor sites show.

Originally Posted by kschachn
What does "glug glug glug" mean?

the sound of engine oil being poured
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
What does "glug glug glug" mean?

Pouring oil when the container is held the wrong way
smile.gif

How does the sound of oil being poured pertain to this discussion?

Both good oils. Your engine won't know the difference as long as specs are met.

There is no best

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by PimTac

There is no best

Interesting thinking from the American
smile.gif

Why is that?

Just an interesting thinking for a nation that dont Acknowledge anything lesser than 1st place
smile.gif

Either you are a hero....or a zero mindset....so I just "wow-ed" there....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
With both being Dexos2 C3, I prefer Shell to Motul for its GTL base.

does GTL based oils really make that difference or is it just a marketing gimmick?

OP, it's been discussed here before, and most ignore it because they value opinions and feelings over facts. But here goes: your engine requires dexos 2, which actually requires testing for an oil to be certified. Therefore, in all reality, you could run a thousand of your engines a half-million miles each using certified oils, and there will not be any statistical difference in different oils' performance.

Using a certified oil and changing it and the filter by OLM or manufacturer recommended intervals is infinitely more important than any different oil brand can ever be proven to be. Anyone who says different is either lying to you or is a flat-earther.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Just an interesting thinking for a nation that dont Acknowledge anything lesser than 1st place
smile.gif

Either you are a hero....or a zero mindset....so I just "wow-ed" there....

I think its only in NASCAR racing that it applies.

Back