Fun spark plug discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started as a mechanic I remember the Mercury Comet and Ford Maverick V8's.

suspension Coil tower was right next to plug. You really had to undo motor mounts to get to the thing.

ButiF you have a lift no giant deal, just add 1/2 hour to the job.

Then I had a Mitsu 3000gt TTv6. I don't think you could drop a marble and have it fall out to the ground anywhere unfer that hood.

IIRC the intake was wrapped rearward over the rear bank and had to come off.

A few Japanese designs are this way I hear.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

It's impossible to change the spark plugs on a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird because they tuck the engine under the windshield.

Not impossible but they are a giant pain. With the stock headers you pretty much have to do the back plugs on both sides from underneath the car, and to get the 5 and 6 you usually need a cut down spark plug socket. Putting on headers definitely helps, I can do all 8 from the top of my 94 these days but it still a very tight fit.

Originally Posted by LDM
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

It's impossible to change the spark plugs on a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird because they tuck the engine under the windshield.

Not impossible but they are a giant pain. With the stock headers you pretty much have to do the back plugs on both sides from underneath the car, and to get the 5 and 6 you usually need a cut down spark plug socket. Putting on headers definitely helps, I can do all 8 from the top of my 94 these days but it still a very tight fit.

The LT1 in a 4th gen certainly makes for a challenging spark plug change with stock manifolds. When I bought my 94 I changed the plugs, and they had already been "changed" once, with the exception of the #8 plug which appeared older and original.

With headers it certainly becomes easier, in my case I have Pacesetter long tubes as well as a bunch of emission deletes (EGR, AIR injection, the air pump itself and plumbing is also gone) as well as no traction control module, now plugs are one of the easier vehicles I have done plugs on. Numbers 1, 3, 5, 2, and 4 are a piece of cake from the top and 6, 7, 8 are easy from the bottom, takes about a 30-45 minutes now.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Beer and tuneup ?

IDK .....

Strictly for medicinal purposes, an antiseptic for the cuts and scrapes and a pain killer
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Beer and tuneup ?

IDK .....

Strictly for medicinal purposes, an antiseptic for the cuts and scrapes and a pain killer
lol.gif

Whimsey

If I work on my friend's Explorer, I always have a few Bud Lights or PBR(Pabst Blue Ribbon, not Valvoline Premium Blue Restore) nearby, with a good strong local IPA after the job is done.

i usually change my spark plugs early. 4cyl on toyotas are easy. but on my v6 i'm waiting until closer to 100k miles. plus the igniter clips are fragile for some reason.

Had a 1988 Ford Crown Vic/ex police car with the 5.0L. The rear two plugs on each side were a killer. Liked the sticker that was under the speedo though -- if in pursuit and going over 55mph -- keep OD off.

I have owned 2 LT1 F-bodies and 3 LS1 F-bodies. Usually doesn't take me long to do the plugs, patience is must. The LS cars are way easier.

Originally Posted by tcp71

Much bigger issue is our 2005 Toyota 3.3l. The intake manifold, wiper tray and a bunch of plumbing needs to be removed to get to the rear bank.

That's what I had to do on the parent's Sienna. I think it took me about 1.5 hours to pull the cowl, wipers and to unbolt the intake, EVAP VSVs and wiring. I didn't bolt the upper manifold stiffening bracket back, I couldn't get the [censored] bolt to line up.

Since the van needed a timing belt anyway, I decided to turn this into a major service with the Aisin TBWP kit. I also checked the valve clearance and installed new valve cover gaskets with fresh spark plug tube seals.

Just did the plugs on my Subaru Crosstrek. That rear driver's side caused two, maybe three, F bombs. Not too bad, though.

One hour for all 4 plugs—-while sipping on coffee.

My old caliber was easy... spent more time running to Menards for a longer extension than I did actually changing the plugs. Durango with the 5.7 hemi was also pretty easy, had it done in about an hour.

The 3.6's in the 300 and van require removal of the upper intake, so that seems fun... at least the 300's engine is mounted as God intended with tons of room and not sideways
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Jeep_Riot
Just did the plugs on my Subaru Crosstrek. That rear driver's side caused two, maybe three, F bombs. Not too bad, though.

Just curious? Did you pull the battery?

Did you use a wobble extension back there?

I recall on some cars using a boxwrench on the spark plug socket nut- no ratchet head room

Just 1 turn to break the plug loose, then remove the socket NOW - or it hits the unibody frame rail

Last edited:
1st most difficult: 2003 Honda XR400R (surprise). You have to use the super thin wall OEM plug tool, tuck it up between the gas tank and frame, and only then will it drop down into the cylinder head for removal/install of the spark plug. Good grief. Believe me, I have tried other spark plug sockets and every conceivable approach angle. No go. Otherwise a very good motorcycle and easy to maintain.
2nd most difficult: 1995 Corvette LT1. The two rear plugs on each bank are pretty tough to access, everything is packed in tightly. Thank goodness they use long life plugs and only need service every 80-100k miles.

Originally Posted by Jeep_Riot

Just curious? Did you pull the battery?

Did you use a wobble extension back there?

I recall on some cars using a boxwrench on the spark plug socket nut- no ratchet head room

Just 1 turn to break the plug loose, then remove the socket NOW - or it hits the unibody frame rail

Yes, I pulled the battery and also used a wobble extension on the two rears. Sorry for the late reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back