What style refrigerator do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We decided to finally replace our 25 year old refrigerator. It is not freezing things well and the wife wants the water/ice in the door option.

We narrowed it down to either a French door or side by side and we finally decided on a counter depth GE side by side.

What style do you have?

side by side, water ice in door. It will have a cube stick in the chute, and drop on floor later. There is no drain for the door, so spills need daily cleaning of the little basin.

Works OK. Drinks are very cold. Freezer is fast.

Had a traditional one in our old house, no options, worked fine. New house came with a side by side, took a bit to get used to, I'm still not sold on it. It does have water and ice in it, not sure if we'll fix if they break, but maybe the wife will change that opinion once she gets used to it. I don't like the notion of it breaking after a few years, and I swear it has less space or somehow uses it not as well.

Side by side with bottom freezer and ice/water in the door. Seems to work well. LG with linear compressor. Makes us drink water more often than other beverages.

Originally Posted by ZZman
We decided to finally replace our 25 year old refrigerator. It is not freezing things well and the wife wants the water/ice in the door option.

We narrowed it down to either a French door or side by side and we finally decided on a counter depth GE side by side.

What style do you have?

I think I read it in Consumer Reports that a side by side was best for people who get food out of the freezer often. They had pros/cons for each design.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Side by side with bottom freezer and ice/water in the door. Seems to work well. LG with linear compressor. Makes us drink water more often than other beverages.

I think that would be considered a French door.

Counter depth side by side from Frigidaire gallery series. No issues in 10 years. Ice, water dispenser holding up. Only issue cold water dispenser first cup not cold it's room temp. Second cup cold.

GE Signature side by side bottom freezer, counter depth. This was purchased when we replaced our kitchen in 2011. No issues, but I did replace the two upper door gaskets last fall, the originals were showing some cracks.

Bottom drawer freezer style. Our Side by Side froze too much lettuce and had to be repaired every year.

Our Repairman said the most reliable was the old freezer top style.

Counter depth side by side, with water and ice in the door.

Whirlpool side by side that is15yrs old. I had to replace a circuit board on it once and a broke shelf holder. Other than that works well. My biggest complaint is the black catch pan under the water/ice dispenser is all crusted up with calcium and lime I think. I tried soaking it in vinegar and also lime away with no luck, I wish there was a product that actually worked.

Side by side but I think we will switch to French door at some point. Both the fridge and freezer are too narrow. Impossible to store a large frozen pizza horizontally, for example.

Also, it's a Samsung and while freezing or refrigeration work well, it tends to leak under the door if the door has been left open for too long.

The wife wants to get one of those that have a large tablet on the door but I don't think a fridge would justify a $3k price tag

Old Top freezer. I think the bottom freezer is silly.

Better yet would be a separate fridge and freezer.

MIL has standup freezer in breezeway - -great solution.

Anybody have one of them counter depth Kiwi-made Fridges?

Look like a nice design at first glance?

We have an ~8yr/old Whirlpool stainless steel finish bottom freezer model. The freezer door pulls out like a drawer, exposing the lower storage bins. I absolutely hate the design. If you don't have everything stowed neatly with room to spare in the freezer, you drag items together every time you pull open the freezer. You loose freezer space with this design as well.

The only repair I've had to do is cut the duck bill condensate drain valve open a bit more. It plugged early on causing frozen glaciers of condensate in the bottom of the freezer.

I try to blow the dust bunnies out of the bottom condenser yearly and shop vac the crap out of the fixed condensate drain pan as well.

Last edited:
KitchenAid bottom freezer, counter depth w/interior water and ice maker; Purchased new in 2004. Compressor was replaced under warranty and I replaced a leaking water dispenser solenoid several years ago. One of the drawers has had a broken guide/side rail for awhile and recently the ice maker leaked into the freezer making a mess. At this time I have the ice maker shut off until I investigate what has failed. Sound like we have similar fridges JTK; terrible design, I agree.

Last edited:
French Door, bottom freezer. Best design for us. Yes it's true that you cannot overstuff the freezer compartment. This one is a Frigidaire Gallery which I HATE! The fan runs continuously and is noisy. When it defrosts, it sounds like someone is inside with a jackhammer. This has ice/water in the door, and the first glass is only slightly cold, which wastes water. More importantly, it wastes filter time, and the filters aren't cheap.
The BEST fridge I've ever owned was a Samsung, same design. Very quiet, much more efficient, cold water. Just don't get the dual Icemaker option, that takes up additional freezer space for very little value. Unless you throw huge parties of course!

Thermador separate standalone freezer and fridges which are nice for capacity but no ice or water in the door. In the basement I have a Kenmore french door with bottom freezer sliding drawer. This has ice and water in the door. The freezer is not all that big or easy to access though.

In keeping with the peers' here ocd tendencies..................

Got fed-up with never having enough cold storage space and the ridiculous prices I got quoted to replace a fridge that packed up yet again ..................

Built my own 1300L fridge in the kitchen complete with 50mm polyurethane panels, double glazed walk in door on the front (ala stuff you see used in the shops), evaporator unit inside the fridge with integrated defrost and drain, compressor and condenser outside the house, 5M of 20mm copper tubing coiled inside on one wall to supply near freezing water to a tap on the front next to the door (daughter teacher at dance schools). Spaced the shelves/racks where the wife wanted them so she could stick food in the production phase for the freezer in there if she feels like it - pot and all! .................. its cycling on and off between 3 and 6C, compressor runs 2 minutes and then rests for around 15 minutes with an ambient 33C here .............. much cheaper than a store bought unit of probably only half the size at the time

My Freezer is separate 42 year old upright unit with coils in every shelf/rack still running R12
36.gif
................. if It wasn't that the [censored] thing works well and just wont quit, it would also have been replaced by my own creation already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back