Thoughts on redline?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Only thing I've taken from this post is, I had no idea
RL is now part of Phil66. Not a fan of ConocoPhillips at all !!

What an odd thing to not be a fan of? I'd love to hear why.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Only thing I've taken from this post is, I had no idea
RL is now part of Phil66. Not a fan of ConocoPhillips at all !!

How do you feel about Kendall oil?

Never used it and it's not readily available in my area never see on the self anywhere. Even if it was I still wouldn't.
One of my uncles ran Kendall in his truck back 30 years ago and when it came time to a little motor work underneath the valve covers was not a pretty site. I know oils have come a long long way since then, but's it's just one those things when you see it, it stays with ya.

Last edited:
People spend $30 to $60,000 + on a vehicle, add expensive accessories to that vehicle, and then argue about the cost of a 5 quart jug of oil to run in that particular vehicle. The most amazing aspect of these conversations.

Originally Posted by CAboost
People spend $30 to $60,000 + on a vehicle, add expensive accessories to that vehicle, and then argue about the cost of a 5 quart jug of oil to run in that particular vehicle. The most amazing aspect of these conversations.

It just comes with the territory, I suppose. You'd think everyone around here only drives a Toyota Corolla because the benchmark of a car is "does it get you from Point A to Point B" and the Corolla can do it cheaper and more reliably than anything else. It's also pretty funny to see how things have changed in the relatively short time I've been on here. For example, for a while there, it was considered a taboo thing by quite a few on here to buy things from Walmart and Amazon. Now, getting the cheapest oil on rollback at Walmart or taking advantage of a deal on Amazon is bragging rights on here until the next deal comes along.

Sometimes, we do things that make little financial sense. It's just the way it is. We buy what we like because we generally don't hate ourselves. Personally, I'd rather see someone spend more money maintaining their expensive belongings, but I also don't try to spend other people's money for them. That doesn't mean we can't educate on here, but there's no sense in asking the OP 15 pointed questions that you don't think they can answer just to put them on the spot. It's not hard to respond with, "While I don't have any personal experience with the product, I've heard it's a great oil. That said, there's more than likely not any advantage to using this oil over cheaper options unless you plan on racing or off-roading your vehicle".

Treat others the way you would want them to treat a member of your family.

On 99% of cars I would never waste my money on Redline.

On my built motor STI with ~510hp? Yes.
Heck my Sti doesn't even burn oil..., I've had fantastic experiences over the years with redline and track cars.

Plus my engine builder likes it due to the esters, for high boost applications.

based on what Redline did to clean up my preowned Z3, I consider it $$ well spent.
[Linked Image]

Another note about Red Line and other oils high in ester. It's not uncommon to see an uptick in iron, lead, and copper numbers in UOA when you first switch over that clears up over 3-5 oil changes. This is usually not attributed to increased wear. The culprit is typically from carbon deposits throughout the engine that, over the years, have collected and embedded wear particles in them. Then the high ester comes along, cleans up the deposits, and puts the wear particles in suspension. Some people have posted UOAs of Red Line with higher wear numbers, but it's typically not attributed to actual wear. This is one of the limitations of UOAs also.

Originally Posted by 330indy
based on what Redline did to clean up my preowned Z3, I consider it $$ well spent.
[Linked Image]

Disclaimer: I have used Redline.

M1EP does not clean as good as RL does, but the engine has never complained about it.
145k miles. M1EP since I bought it with 17k. OCI between 13-17k. No UOA done. Money well spent.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CAboost

What "people" argue about is the objective advantages of those expensive oils for that particulary $60,000 vehicle for DD use. The most amazing aspect of these conversations is that they never die, in spite of the fact that no-one has been able to come forward with a quantitative prove of those (perceived) benefits.

Right, it kills me...these guys want 1.00 qt of oil yet still want it to protect and perform like a premium oil with stout add pack. Ya, these oil companies are going to go out of their way to make a oil with a stout add pack when only topic fourms are about picking up .99 cents qt. Redline is a good oil, money not a issue use it...it works great. And takes along what those .99 cent qt left behind including varnish. People on here are literal grumpy cheapskates who just want to go with status quo and god forbid you spend a little extra or consider a oil additive.

I acquired it with 32k miles but unfortunately prior owner "believed" in that 15k OCI from BMW and used that red mud bat crap BMW oil.
No pics of dirty valvetrain, but from the looks of the original oil cap gunk — scary.
4 oil changes with Redline and this is the result. At ~50k miles now, so 18k miles later -average OCI of 4.5k miles each.
Cleaned it up so much the valve cover needed changing but I think it was age related... 20 year old car!
I runs so well now, new NGK plugs, Conforti, MF exhaust, K&N.... faster and more responsive. And I drive the sh!t out of it everytime I drive it. Pretty sure my wife does the same hahaha.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Nice looking, what did it look like before you started using Redline?

How many miles at that pic?

Redline engine oil is a very high quality full synthetic oil. I used in an 1981 Honda for a couple oil changes because I wanted the very "best." I think that was overkill......LOL... I've used Mobil1 full synth for years now.

Some folks report favorable results using Redline oil:
Originally Posted by 330indy
[Linked Image]

They claim it's the ester base that does the cleaning; I have no idea. But, given that Redline is an excellent oil, it's probably worth a try. If it were me, I'd use it for several normal interval runs and then have a look inside.

Edit: whoops, posted in wrong thread...nothing to see here...

Last edited:
Yes its overkill in the Accord 4 cylinder. These Japanese 4 cylinders simply dont need a boutique oil. In a more horsepower engine and custom builds Redline has a place but not in 4 cylinder econobox from Japan.

Originally Posted by Navi
Yes its overkill in the Accord 4 cylinder. These Japanese 4 cylinders simply dont need a boutique oil. In a more horsepower engine and custom builds Redline has a place but not in 4 cylinder econobox from Japan.

It might not be fancy, but an Accord isn't an econobox. It's also not a low horsepower NA 4 cylinder. But you seem to know it all...

Seriously. This forum. Love so much about it and the old members, but man, some of the garbage and nastiness lately.

Seriously. This forum. Love so much about it and the old members, but man, some of the garbage and nastiness lately.

I've been saying this for awhile now.

I bought Redline MTL for my Mazda but I wouldn't consider their PCMO simply because of price/benefit ratio. No doubt Redline, Amsoil, etc are high quality stuff. Just not going to see the benefits in a car that lives in the northeast that will die of something other than engine failure. UOA section of this forum is littered with $20/jug oil results that are near impeccable. That's all the proof I need to see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Another note about Red Line and other oils high in ester. It's not uncommon to see an uptick in iron, lead, and copper numbers in UOA when you first switch over that clears up over 3-5 oil changes. This is usually not attributed to increased wear. The culprit is typically from carbon deposits throughout the engine that, over the years, have collected and embedded wear particles in them. Then the high ester comes along, cleans up the deposits, and puts the wear particles in suspension. Some people have posted UOAs of Red Line with higher wear numbers, but it's typically not attributed to actual wear. This is one of the limitations of UOAs also.

Absolutely correct. It's only cleaning the film of a sub-par oil left behind. Had tremendous luck with Redline Oil. I have a slight consumption issue now and will stay at 0w30 M1 but will say I have nothing bad to say about the cost or performance of using their products. It's overkill but after seeing what people waste their money buying this is still a more worthwhile investment.

Back