Virgin FL820S Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a previous post of mine where I shared pictures of the torn FL820S, I said I would cut open the new FL820S that I had sitting on my shelf.

Here it is:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
i wish they would just tighten up the pleats so the filter is uniform all the way around and probably wouldn't have so many tearing issues.

With the many post use anecdotes of the 820S here, the seam pleat area media spacing topic filter does little to inspire confidence, ie., reason to think results will be different. That said, in my observation MC post use anecdotes 'generally speaking' 820S is an outlier in the line. Whether one chooses to eliminate the whole line from purchase consideration because of topic filter, individual choice I suppose.

Thanks for c&p.

Do you purchase your Ford Oil Filters from a Ford dealer?

Thanks for the pics! Looks fine to me. If I had Ford's, I'd use it.

How is the date code interpreted on these? 10/21/19? How do we know this? Has to be? Wishing there aren't wide pleats won't make them go away. Send the cut open reports to Motorcraft who buy them.

Looks good to me

We've used these on our Crown Vic for 350,000 plus miles so they work just fine regardless of the "hate" on BITOG ...

Originally Posted by atikovi
Looks fine to me. No reason not to keep using them.

Must have very low expectations.

Cutting this open revealed why the last FL820S I used had pleating that was completely folded over and ripped from the base plate adhesive.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
With the many post use anecdotes of the 820S here, the seam pleat area media spacing topic filter does little to inspire confidence, ie., reason to think results will be different. That said, in my observation MC post use anecdotes 'generally speaking' 820S is an outlier in the line. Whether one chooses to eliminate the whole line from purchase consideration because of topic filter, individual choice I suppose.

Thanks for c&p.

I've previously used an FL400S in my '99 Wrangler with 130k miles. Ran it for a year and posted a thread a few months back of my cut and open...it looked completely fine with no tears and folded over pleating. The consensus from those commenting in the thread seemed to agree that the small, less girthy MC filters don't have tearing issues or folded over pleats.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Do you purchase your Ford Oil Filters from a Ford dealer?

Thanks for the pics! Looks fine to me. If I had Ford's, I'd use it.

I believe I purchased that one from Walmart.

That's a good looking oil filter. If I had a vehicle with the engine it calls for that filter, I would use it.
And, I wouldn't tear the pleats after I cut it open, to get 5 minutes of fame!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
And, I wouldn't tear the pleats after I cut it open, to get 5 minutes of fame!
coffee2.gif

Yeah, once is enough ...
laugh.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Lubener

No, I just don't get swayed by internet conjecture and assumptions put forth by those with no technical background to evaluate the design in question. The "more pleats is better" argument for example.

Originally Posted by Lubener

No, I just don't get swayed by internet conjecture and assumptions put forth by those with no technical background to evaluate the design in question. The "more pleats is better" argument for example.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back