2017-2019 GLA 250 4-Matic vs BMW X-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better half is considering picking up a nearly new used compact utility, especially looking at these two. Has to be 4WD and the optional 3rd row is being considered.

Any actual experiences with either, or same engines, drivetrains, platforms, would be appreciated. Also any hard data out there on reliability.

Vehicle will be used for an hour-ish daily commute (each way) and weekend family trips for a family of 4.

Thank you!

I'd read up on what Consumers Reports says about them. If you want German, they recommend the Audi Q3 and BMW X-1, but not the Mercedes. The Audi is the best driver of the three German luxury makes while the BMW comes in second.
The owner satisfaction is lowest on the Mercedes as is reliability.

A good friend of mine was just in the market for this same sorta vehicle, and since I enjoy car shopping I helped out a bit. Some thoughts were on the thread here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...e-actually-purchase-new-bmws#Post5313074

I'd recommend checking out a loaded CX-5 as well, as it really competes well in the category, and the fully loaded CX-5 is close on the luxury scale and is a really nice vehicle. Ultimately though, the X1 won out.

vs the GLA: the GLA had pretty poor visibility, cramped rear seating and the cargo space was less. It also had poor ingress/egress into the cargo space, if that's an issue.

Neither have a 3rd row. If that's a requirement, I'd suggesting checking out a 2018 or newer Tiguan.

I've driven pretty much every vehicle in that category now, and got a few rides in the X1. Once the terrible run-flat tires are swapped out, it's a really nice car; quiet, handles well, plenty of power, good fuel economy, and lots of useable space. They seem to be a really solid value in the used/off lease market as well. By all indications, the B48 engine and Aisin transmission are pretty reliable.

I prefer the E84 X1 like my wife drives, but the current car is pretty nice. If I couldn't go with an X1 I'd definitely get a CX-5.

CX-5 will get you 80% of the features/luxury with 20% of the repair cost. Definitely worth a look. Even a loaded Santa Fe or the Kia equal may check the right boxes, all things considered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
CX-5 will get you 80% of the features/luxury with 20% of the repair cost. Definitely worth a look. Even a loaded Santa Fe or the Kia equal may check the right boxes, all things considered.

My CX5 has everything the BMW has, and more, as far as I know in the X1, X3 category, and is similar in performance, although the Mazda needs less rpm due to having more torque, so is probably better in daily traffic with a much swifter 5-60 (until you get into the i6), while the X1 will handle a bit better. I prefer JDM to German for cost reasons and reliability.

As far as family of 4...X1,CX5, etc. Kinda small...I'd pick something larger. Jeep Grand Cherokee size.

Originally Posted by HangFire

The better half is considering picking up a nearly new used compact utility, especially looking at these two. Has to be 4WD and the optional 3rd row is being considered.

You are not getting a 3rd row seat in these. And the third row seat in the Tiguan is more of a glorified parcel shelf, as in really small, low and uncomfortable, plus hard to get to. Good size in the Atlas ...

If you need the 3rd row, you need to be moving up a size plus ...

Originally Posted by geeman789

You are not getting a 3rd row seat in these. And the third row seat in the Tiguan is more of a glorified parcel shelf, as in really small, low and uncomfortable, plus hard to get to. Good size in the Atlas ...

That's fair, I hadn't considered the OP's request for a "possible" 3rd row.

If that's the case, let me throw this out there: Dodge Durango. You can get HUGE discounts on them right now, and if the significant other approves.... dare I say SRT?? Now there's more fun than you'll have in ANYTHING from Germany, for the money. And still cheaper to maintain.

Edit: not a "compact" by any means. I think a RAV-4 is about the largest kind-of 3 row out there right now. But honestly, if you really need a 3rd row, you need more than a compact SUV.

Last edited:

If that's the case, let me throw this out there: Dodge Durango. You can get HUGE discounts on them right now, and if the significant other approves.... dare I say SRT?? Now there's more fun than you'll have in ANYTHING from Germany, for the money. And still cheaper to maintain.

Yeah, but OP is driving it 2 hours a day, and that fuel will add wayyy up in the years to come. The SRT's are good vehicles, but efficient, they are not.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, but OP is driving it 2 hours a day, and that fuel will add wayyy up in the years to come. The SRT's are good vehicles, but efficient, they are not.

Totally agree, the SRT comment was more about value for the money if the OP wanted to have some fun. A 3.6 equipped Durango in a higher trim would give all the features as well as return decent mileage ratings, all while maintaining the interior space and 4x4 capability. The 3.6/8-speed auto is really a great combo, it can still tow yet it's perfectly happy to lug around 7 passengers in (relative) comfort. Much more so than a compact SUV.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd read up on what Consumers Reports says about them. If you want German, they recommend the Audi Q3 and BMW X-1, but not the Mercedes. The Audi is the best driver of the three German luxury makes while the BMW comes in second.
The owner satisfaction is lowest on the Mercedes as is reliability.

01.gif

Edit: not a "compact" by any means. I think a RAV-4 is about the largest kind-of 3 row out there right now. But honestly, if you really need a 3rd row, you need more than a compact SUV.

I second this. The Durango would be a solid choice. It's a mature design/platform at this point and the drivetrain is very well sorted.

Have you thought about a Crown Vic?

In all seriousness, check the equivalent Audi model as well. I myself chose a Merc when I was shopping for SUVs a year or so ago after comparing the full size versions and ended up with a GLS 550 with Q7 coming very close.

Hmm, compact utility that must be AWD or 4x4, reliable and comfortable for daily hourly-ish commute plus weekend driving with 4 peeps?

Not that I'm biased, but may I recommend a slightly used (and preferrably CPO) BMW X3? They're most likely to be lease returns from about 2017 or so, with excellent maintenance records performed by the dealership during the lease period.

They will have 2yr extended warranty, they ride great (once you ditch the run-flats), they are quite frugal if you drive them like a sane person and you have a choice of engines: a 2L gasser, 2L turbodiesel, and a 3L gasser.

Originally Posted by Ws6

My CX5 has everything the BMW has, and more, as far as I know in the X1, X3 category, and is similar in performance, although the Mazda needs less rpm due to having more torque, so is probably better in daily traffic with a much swifter 5-60 (until you get into the i6), while the X1 will handle a bit better. I prefer JDM to German for cost reasons and reliability.

Keep in mind, you're looking a pretty different price point here. A CX-5 GT Reserve is a lot more expensive car than an off-lease X1. The X1 my friend just purchased was 20K (fully loaded, with 23K miles on it), the the GT Reserve is going to be at least 13K more. In terms of reliability, the CX-5 and X1 of that vintage seem pretty similar (both good).

I really like your car, don't get me wrong. It has a few things that the BMW doesn't have, and the fit and finish are great--but the 2.5 Grand Touring would be a better comparison since it's more similar in price to what the OP is looking at.

From my impressions with the CLA and being in a GLA, it's a hard pass. Mercedes is going downmarket and downsize to compete against Mini and Lexus as well as the Chinese/Japanese markets that tax cars based on size. Mercedes can't do "frugal" luxury as well as Lexus or Acura can - despite the fact the Lexus CT/UX and Acura ILX/RDX(which compete against the CLA/GLA) are based off the Prius or Civic/CR-V respectively, they feel nice.

If I'm not mistaken, the new X1 is based off the Mini Countryman in a more mature package, while the older version is a shrunk X3. You're not getting a 3rd row in the compact/subcompact luxury class. You'll be looking at the GL/GLS, Q7, X7, RX L or the MDX for that. The refresh of the ML/GLE has an optional 3rd row. The GLK/GLC, Q5, X3, NX and RDX are 2-row compact luxury SUVs.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by Ws6

Keep in mind, you're looking a pretty different price point here. A CX-5 GT Reserve is a lot more expensive car than an off-lease X1. The X1 my friend just purchased was 20K (fully loaded, with 23K miles on it), the the GT Reserve is going to be at least 13K more. In terms of reliability, the CX-5 and X1 of that vintage seem pretty similar (both good).

I really like your car, don't get me wrong. It has a few things that the BMW doesn't have, and the fit and finish are great--but the 2.5 Grand Touring would be a better comparison since it's more similar in price to what the OP is looking at.

Yeah, you just cant get the GT-R/SG off lease just yet is the real issue. I would have loved it if that were the case, as I have come to loath buying new. My last car (A CX5) decided to not wait until then to need a HPFP and FPR replacement though (I am guessing bad gas, as both the FPR and the HPFP died 5 minutes after getting fuel...so odd they both went, and then...), soooo...bargaining time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, you just cant get the GT-R/SG off lease just yet is the real issue. I would have loved it if that were the case, as I have come to loath buying new. My last car (A CX5) decided to not wait until then to need a HPFP and FPR replacement though (I am guessing bad gas, as both the FPR and the HPFP died 5 minutes after getting fuel...so odd they both went, and then...), soooo...bargaining time.

Well, even when these are available off-lease, the calculus will be a bit different, since the BMW x-overs have such horrible deprecation (bad if you're buying new, great if you're buying off-lease). Having looked at the used market on CX-5's, there are ones that have been used at rentals for 2 years with zero service history, and still going for 70-80% of list. Looks like they tend to hold their value.

Of course, if one is buying new, that makes the CX-5 a lot more appealing option. Used, the X1 really does look pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back