2006 Caravan... how to remove window Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan with the passenger window not working. I have another 2006 Grand Caravan that I am stripping parts off of, and the Grand Caravan has a working window regulator that I want to use. I went to remove the regulator and found the regulator is attached to the door with what looks like very large push pins.

I have never messed with plastic pins like that. I watched a you tube video where the man used a chisel to cut them off as new regulators come with new plastic pins. I am using a used unit so cutting them off is not an option. Can I pry the pins out and re-use them. If so, any tricks to getting the pins out?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

It sounds like they're a single use plastic pop_rivet. Can you substitute a nut and bolt or source the pins separately?

This video shows how he removed the pins without breaking them. Whether they can be re-used, or this even works, is something you'll have to find out for yourself. I couldn't find a source for just the pins with a quick Google, but someone may make them..

Link to video: Caravan window regulator R&R

Originally Posted by dishdude
It sounds like they're a single use plastic pop_rivet. Can you substitute a nut and bolt or source the pins separately?

I tried briefly to source something but no luck. Just now I tried to use a pry bar to pry a pin out. No luck... it broke. I have plenty of room to get my hands inside the door so bolts may be a good plan.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
This video shows how he removed the pins without breaking them. Whether they can be re-used, or this even works, is something you'll have to find out for yourself. I couldn't find a source for just the pins with a quick Google, but someone may make them..

Thanks for the link! In the video he showed how to remove them without breaking them but when he installed them he used bolts. He said he wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Originally Posted by DeafBrad
Originally Posted by 14Accent

Thanks for the link! In the video he showed how to remove them without breaking them but when he installed them he used bolts. He said he wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'll admit, I didn't watch to the end, and oddly enough I've never had to do a regulator on that generation Caravan, but if he used bolts I would just follow that advice. I've used 1AAuto videos plenty of times in my line of work, they aren't always perfect but they really do seem to lay it out in layman's terms to help you get the job done.

I re-watched the video, and he didn't seem to specify what type of bolts he used, but since he said he used a screwdriver I would assume he used machine screws and nuts to secure the motor. That's as good an option as any, although I would have just used nuts, bolts, and washers.

Good luck on the project!

NAPA has a good assortment of pins/fasteners...maybe they have a suitable replacement.

These door assemblies are engineered for ease of manufacturing with no worries on what consumers need to do to repair if broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back