New Havoline ProDS 0w20 boosted Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't necessarily think so, at least for the 5W-20. It seems to me that moly is more common in 0W oils than in 5W or above. I couldn't tell you why, other than a guess, but that seems to be a trend that I've noticed. The Havoline could be the same. It would be cool to see what is in the 5W too, just for an apples-to-apples comparison.

A lot of 0w-20 formulations differ from the 5w-20/5w30 variants and have a higher level of moly. Its a common theme with many brands.

That is some nice specs. Too bad no Noack specs. Looks similar, not exactly, like Rotella Gas Truck 0w20.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I wouldn't necessarily think so, at least for the 5W-20. It seems to me that moly is more common in 0W oils than in 5W or above. I couldn't tell you why, other than a guess, but that seems to be a trend that I've noticed. The Havoline could be the same. It would be cool to see what is in the 5W too, just for an apples-to-apples comparison.

There are plenty of 5w lubes out there with +100ppm moly. In fact, Chevron's own Havoline SB 5w30 HiMi has +170ppm moly. Pennzoil has some 5w's that have well over 200ppm moly and QS has 5w's approaching 200ppm.

Originally Posted by painfx
That is some nice specs. Too bad no Noack specs. Looks similar, not exactly, like Rotella Gas Truck 0w20.

There was some discussion here a while back about the volatility of Noack testing. As long as it's below the limit for the spec allowed then it's good.

Originally Posted by PimTac

There was some discussion here a while back about the volatility of Noack testing. As long as it's below the limit for the spec allowed then it's good.

Agreed, with all the specs on oil, I really don't worry about noack too much as long as it's within recommended range.

Can you help me share that thread?

My preference has been low Noack and low SAPS.

It was brought up in a couple of threads, there was no specific thread regarding that.

As I recall, multiple testing on the same oil would yield varying numbers. One example presented was Pennzoil Ultra which had a super low Noack until another test was done and the number changed quite a bit.

One of the experts here might be able to shed more light on the subject.

I have heard that Noack is not as precise as we assume it is. Not sure that's true, but IIRC, I heard it from a rep from an oil company, either Exxon Mobil, Pennzoil, or Valvoline. I can't remember which, though, as I've often contacted them to ask various questions. Even if true, it could still be useful data. Maybe the published Noack is typically an average?

Correct. The current API threshold of 15% for volatility wasn't pulled out of thin air. There is an argument to be had that lower volatility is even better from a performance perspective but from the point of setting a standard threshold (-the API), you get into the question of where do we stop? How low do we go? Do the benefits outweigh the costs?.. and so on and so on.

Fortunately, at the end of the day it's your pocketbook..if you perceive value in chasing the lowest noack lube despite the added cost and no guarantees of longer engine life, then have at it. More power to ya'...

Last edited:
Havoline is a solid oil period.

My dad used it when he serviced cars at his gas station that he owned for years.

Don't get wrapped up in numbers, too much of that goin on in these forums the way it is.

I'll bet this revised add pack is the GF6/SP additive package being rolled out early. Labeling will change in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back