Camry vrs Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be moving soon.
Looking for a mid size car for a 35 to 40 mile one way trip to 3 miles city the rest hwy.
I will be buying something used a few years old about 40k miles.
Plan on keeping it to 250k.
2017 or older camry and sonata milage close.
Newer camry claims 41 hwy.
Sonata about 2 to 3k cheaper used.

Any suggestions on long term cost vrs mileage ?
I want reliability low cost transpertation.

Last edited:
For 250K miles Camry all day every day. That generation, like most is very reliable. You will likely be on your second (at least) engine in a Sonata. I recommend checking Carcomplaints.com for both, draw you own conclusions.

Sonata is bigger and more comfortable. Way more bang for the buck. Had 1 cv boot tear in 107k miles with my 2015, that's it.

But having to possibly deal with an engine failure at some point? Still might be cheaper with a Sonata.

But if you want dead simple reliability just get the Camry.

Or look into the 1.6L turbo Sonata.

Do hyundia have engine problems ?
I know toyota runs forever.
I'm a Gm/chevy truck owner.
Have owned them years w/ 200k +.
But for a car I dont like chevys except Corvette.
Nissan has that CVT transmission that has problems

Both cars are so unexciting! As far as vanilla and reliability goes, Camry is one of the best ever. Go Camry and just drive!

for a couple of $K difference - you plan on keeping it - I would go with the well proven Toyota.

If I had to drive something for 250,000 miles I'd want something a lot more entertaining than either, absolute reliability be [censored]. Unless you're broke, life is too short to drive boring.

You're the perfect Chevrolet Volt customer. 38-45 miles of electric range for the 1st gen, 45-50+ for the second gen. You can find really nice 2nd gen's used, under full warranty, for CHEAP right now.

Given the cars in your sig, you have options about what you want to use for transportation. I would seriously consider a Volt... just my .02.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If I had to drive something for 250,000 miles I'd want something a lot more entertaining than either, absolute reliability be [censored]. Unless you're broke, life is too short to drive boring.

Amen
cheers3.gif

Though I do get where people who love their appliances come from. It's just not for me.

+1 to the Volt idea

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tblt44
Do hyundia have engine problems ?
I know toyota runs forever.
I'm a Gm/chevy truck owner.
Have owned them years w/ 200k +.
But for a car I dont like chevys except Corvette.
Nissan has that CVT transmission that has problems

Yes, 2.4L motors have been blowing up from time to time. They have a 10 year/120k mike warranty extended on them.

"There are no boring cars, only boring drivers." — Mario Andretti

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

"There are no boring cars, only boring drivers." — Mario Andretti

I can't believe I've never heard that quote! So true. I've had some BORING cars that I've taken to 9/10ths of their limit and boy was it a hoot. Picture a 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4, auto trans, drifting through a snowy parking lot at 2AM kind of fun. One of the most boring cars ever to be built, yet I was having an absolute blast. I still miss that car... kind of.

I could say the same about my Volt. Is it boring? For sure. But it's actually quite fun throwing it in to corners and generally beating on it. It's got a low center of gravity, decent (and instant) torque, and good enough seats to keep you relatively secure. That's plenty of fun in my book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

"There are no boring cars, only boring drivers." - Mario Andretti

"In racing, there is no question who is best - the first one to cross the finish line wins first prize. But with wine, even if you make the best wine in the world, someone isn't going to like it, because it isn't their style. Judging wine is very subjective."
- Mario Andretti

Just like cars... what I like isn't what someone else likes. Sure, I could have fun in a Camry or Sonata, but I'd rather drive something else to 250,000 miles.

I've had five HyunKia vehicles. Only engine problems was with a '88 Festiva. Picked it up way below book. Oil probably hadn't been changed in first thirty thousand miles ran it up to 120K and replaced power train with junkyard unit-- gave it away to a charity which was still using it as a go-fer at 150K. Or you could say that it wasn't a Kia at all but a Korean built Mazda 121. Other four had no trouble for anything but they didn't go 250K. When HyunKia's blow up they often do so spectacularly, but that's no different than a GM car throwing a chain. Total engine or transmission failure in a car with 150K often means it's the end of the car.

Girlfriend has '17 Hertz Optima that she picked up for about 12K in 2018. No problems what so ever. I think one year old cars from Hertz and Avis (not Enterprise, at least around here) are far better deals than three year old lease returns.

No doubt, there's a bunch of VW's out there that are far more interesting to drive, but I'd be afraid of them from a durability point. OTOH- A recent post here had all sorts of VW respondents, none of whom had trouble with their cars.

Of course Toyotas are probably more bulletproof than any other brand. If you're really going to run it out to 250K, I'd say the 90% chance that the engine would make it would have to be balanced out against the 50% chance that a HyunKia would make it. Hyundais are pretty bullet proof other than the engine, and a lot of other things can happen to a car besides engine failure that would keep it from going the difference. I and other family members have had cars totaled (including by deer) lately

Funny what direct injection and turbos have done to engine durability. Fifteen years ago you could almost be assured that the rest of the car would be junk long before the engine gave way.

I love my '17 Soul and drive it 20,000 miles annually, but the idea of holding onto it for another nine years in my geezerhood, especially with all of the self-driving enhancements coming on line annually would be a bit daunting.

Last edited:
There are a lot of 2016 - 2017 "Off-Lease" Camry's out there that fit your needs. If you shop around, you can get a great deal on them........even some Certified new ones.
Shop your nearby Toyota Dealership's online and you will see what I mean!
A no brainer for me.

Which ever one you can get cheaper with a 4cyl. Both will be reliable if taken care of.
But do a test drive of both to see if one feels/fits your driving better.

I have a customer with around 150k on a older 4cyl sonata and still going strong. And he beats the snot out of it.

OP,

I would recommend a Honda Accord Hybrid. I think it does not come with the "Honda" tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back