Power Steering Fluid for 54 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 54 Chevy calls for hydraulic fluid to be put in for the power steering. My question is, is power steering fluid and hydraulic fluid the same, can I just buy any power steering fluid to add or will I need to be specific and use a hydraulic fluid.?
TIA

Power Steering fluid and ATF are special forms of hydraulic fluid.

I think the PS fluid back then was Dexron/Merc fluid which had a viscosity of 7.5 cSt@100C, or about a 5W20.

Is this PS system the original or has been upgraded?

If original, it can probably use any mineral oil-based run of the mill Dex/Merc.

Last edited:
Were Power Glide transmissions available at that time ? If so , I am guessing , what ever ATF they used ?

According to James Dickey (former Exxon ATF fluids engineer), Type A was in play until 1957. In 1957 that's when GM introduced the upgraded "Type A Suffix A" ATF.

In 1967 the Dexron and Ford Type "F" formulations were introduced.

But the Dexron series superseded all previous Type A fluids, which is why I think any run of the mill, off the shelf mineral oil based Dex/Mercon should work in an OEM PS system.

Last edited:
So i'musing Dexron lll in my transmission so it'll be the same stuff in my power steering correct? From what I'm seeing the bowl that holds the power steering fluid looks to be the original one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ49
So i'musing Dexron lll in my transmission so it'll be the same stuff in my power steering correct?

As I asked previously, is this the original ps system or has it been upgraded?

All I can tell is what I posted above about the original looking bowl. I've only had the car a few months and from what I can see everything looks to be original, the previous owner didn't mention any up grades on the power steering. The only upgrade I'm aware of is for disc brakes in the front.

So i'musing Dexron lll in my transmission so it'll be the same stuff in my power steering correct? From what I'm seeing the bowl that holds the power steering fluid looks to be the original one.

I am assuming by "bowl" you mean the fluid reservoir.

If the transmission is a 3-speed TurboGlide or 2-speed PowerGlide then yes, I think both components would use a mineral oil-based Dex/Merc.

Last edited:

That's a good plan.
My Chevy is 13 years newer but I run Dex III in the ps (and the convertible top hydraulics!) and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back