Uh Oh. Subaru Front Halfshaft CV Going Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife hears noise once and a while, dealer assessed at the recent 60K service that the front right outer CV was failing.

2017 Subaru Crosstrek w/ CVT

Question.

Are any of the aftermarket axle+CV assemblies reliable?

The Job looks easy enough if you separate the lower ball joint - about 1 hour

Dealer wants $680-

I can get aftermarket axle assemblies for about $100.

The Subaru part goes for $400- (!)

Anybody here have aftermarket front CV +axle replacement stories to share ?

Thanks, Ken

p.s: I have to run out for a couple hours, be back around 4:30 PM EST.

Last edited:
Seems early to go out. Is the boot split? Wondering if it's a proper diagnosis.

IIRC you swap out cars often; is this a real problem? I mean, if you're just going to trade soon...

Reading various threads here have me thinking that aftermarket CV's are kinda hit or miss. Depending on the level of work I might be willing to try a cheapie once or twice, especially if it was quick and easy to swap out and to keep swapping in. OTOH my time has some value and I might prefer to do it just once.

On an old Nissan Quest my parents had, I went through 3 Cardone remans, I asked AutoZone for a refund after the 2nd one. I went to O'Reilly and bought a reman expecting another shoddy one, that 3rd one was actually a Chinese new axle that seemed to work better.

The Chinese stuff is hit or miss, I think if you get a decent one like GSP or Surtrak, it might be OK but still YMMV. The VW Vanagon guys are using Chinese ones as a "budget" fix if one can't afford the OEM GKN(Lobro) or 944 upgrade.

What symptoms do you have? I'd get a second opinion, unless you know what you're sure you know what it is and the dealer WAS the second opinion.

I'm curious to hear what people report, since my extended warranty is up and I occasionally hear a clicking from the front right while making tight right turns and accelerating.

//

This likely isn't helpful any longer, but I had major issues replacing half-shafts in my previous '97 Legacy. By the third axle from second auto parts store (Advanced, I think), it fit perfectly but vibrated noticeably at certain RPM. The first replacement vibrated worse and the second was way too short (maybe they boxed the wrong shaft?) By too short, I mean the boots on either side had to be stretched comically before each side was even fully inserted.

I would not recommend running aftermarket axles in a subaru. I'm in a few facebook groups for Subarus and the aftermarket ones are problematic. I'd try to find a junkyard one in good shape and reboot it before running an aftermarket one

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Anybody here have aftermarket front CV +axle replacement stories to share ?

In 2014, I replaced the axles in my 2005 Odyssey with Advance Auto/Carquest "ToughOne" cheap aftermarket. These Odysseys have a problem where the inner boots lose all their grease and then start causing vibrations on acceleration.

I put the aftermarket axles on and the vibrations stopped.

BUT

Right before we were were about to go on a big trip, my wife had the tires rotated and the tech noted a large amount of grease inside the driver's wheel. The boot on the ToughOne outer CV had failed. So I got a new axle from Advance and put it in, no problems - lifetime warranty.

So, my experience -- if replacing the axle isn't a huge hardship, go ahead and save some money. If you are paying someone else to do the work, or if it is a really hard job, maybe get something better...

Last edited:
Raxles is the only reman worth using. They offer axles for all Subarus
smile.gif

NAPA Premium in my '08 Legacy, not a single issue. Went right in and almost 2 years later its still fine. I think I paid $79 for it versus over $200+ for OEM...

Wife hears noise once and a while, dealer assessed at the recent 60K service that the front right outer CV was failing.

How close to the 60K service was it? Your factory powertrain warranty covers this part for 5 years or 60000 miles.

If under the 60000 you have warranty. If just a little bit over, the dealer may be willing to have it taken care of as a customer good will repair if you have had services done there in the past. You may even want to check with Subaru for any good will assistance.

Originally Posted by brages
So I got a new axle from Advance and put it in, no problems - lifetime warranty.

So, my experience -- if replacing the axle isn't a huge hardship, go ahead and save some money. If you are paying someone else to do the work, or if it is a really hard job, maybe get something better...

I've gone through a few of those Advance Auto CV shafts in my Jeep*

*I use them as a fuse so I don't blow up the differential. I am not easy on them. Honestly surprised at how well they hold up. The last one I managed to snap the shaft off and the joint stayed intact!

I've had really good luck with the Napa CV offerings on my Toyota. Others have reported the same (in the toyota world).

Originally Posted by ad244
I've had really good luck with the Napa CV offerings on my Toyota. Others have reported the same (in the toyota world).

Reman or new ones? I need a passenger side axle for my 09 camry

I would stick with OEM, Raxles (as mentioned above) or CVJREMAN.com. Let us know what you decide and a follow up report if you have a chance.

I just did one on a friend's car a month or so ago. Same symptoms, rattling around turns. I believe their's is a 2014 Crosstrek.

Took about 30 minutes without removing anything - Just the axle nut.

Didn';t even need to drain the fluid as none came out of the case when we popped the axle out.

He chose to get an aftermarket. With how easy it is to go in, I don't blame him.

Are any of the aftermarket axle+CV assemblies reliable?

Not unless they cost almost as much as OEM, or a junkyard pull from the same generation (for 2017 this means a collision salvage or a flood car).

Dealer wants $680-

The Subaru part goes for $400- (!)

For $280 to install it sounds like a reasonable price. You can always buy the axle and bring it to another place to install if it saves you $150 or $100.

Originally Posted by ls973800

How close to the 60K service was it? Your factory powertrain warranty covers this part for 5 years or 60000 miles.

If under the 60000 you have warranty. If just a little bit over, the dealer may be willing to have it taken care of as a customer good will repair if you have had services done there in the past. You may even want to check with Subaru for any good will assistance.

This is what I would be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back