Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30

SR5

I just saw this stuff in Repco (Australia) today, it must be new as I've never seen it before.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 full synthetic.
It's a GTL (PurePlus) based oil, and according to the jug it's made in Hong Kong.

It's rated API SN-Plus, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 / 226.5 and Renault RN 0700 / 0710.

This is the first SN-Plus (for LSPI control) and A3/B4 (for high HTHS) oil I have ever seen in the wild.

Do you have it in North America? It would probably be called Pennzoil Platinum Euro of some sort.

Looks like a top quality oil to me.

I think we do, but it is hard to find.
5W40 pretty much meets all those requirements.
SN+ is really irrelevant because ACEA A3/B3 B4 applications really do not have LSPI issues since old VW 1.4 turbo+ compressor engine some 10+ years ago and are anyway much more stringent than SN+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is API SN and ACEA A3/B4 plus all the Euro OEMs. A great oil, but not SN-Plus or it wasn't the last time I checked. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a rush today and didn't check the 5W40.

I agree A3/B4 is a very high quality standard, but the last time I checked they hadn't explicitly included a LSPI test like SN-Plus and D1G2 has. Not that I'm worried, just saying. I like how they are both MB 229.5 which means a Noack volatility of 10% or less, much better than the 13% of Dexos or the 15% of API.

I like how the new SHU 5W30 is SN-Plus and A3/B4 oil, as it allows for a one-size-fits-all approach if you have both Euro and non-Euro cars in your garage.

Lots here run the SHU 5W40 in all their regular (non-Euro) cars, as it's such a great oil. The new SHU 5W30 should help the newer Japanese car owners who want a Euro quality oil that still meets their owners manual requirements.

BTW what's MB 226.5 ? I'm not familiar with that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N

MB 229.5 + some additional Renault specs...

Thanks mate

From the specs alone, we know it's a 5W30 that has passed LSPI tests for TDI engines (SN-Plus), has a Noack of 10% or lower (MB 229.5), a TBN of 10 or more for long life ( A3/B4), a HTHS of 3.5 cP or more for extra wear protection (A3/B4) plus lots more BMW and MB test for low wear and deposit control. It would also be a full-SAPS oil, typically above 1%, so not DPF friendly. But it would be required to pass a stay-in-grade shear stability test.

I believe in Europe a typical OCI for an oil such as this is 20,000 miles or 2 years in the correct application.

Yes, I think it is very good oil. I use the SHU 5w-40 and honestly it's the only oil I have ever put in my car that I have heard and felt a significant difference over what 'new oil sounds' I usually hear. I use my jedi skills to decide this.

The 5w-40 is still SN and has a HTHS of 3.7 cP or more.

A few months ago you could buy this oil for $45 for 5L anywhere. It is now up around the $65 mark.

I think people are starting to hear about GTL oils. I did see the SHU 5w-30 advertised recently and I haven't seen it before, will be good for the wife's next car.

Originally Posted by adams355
Yea that's not about the ultra formula which is GTL. That's about the 'active cleansing agents' formula that was and is still found on their standard oils. On the Ultra bottles it now says pure plus technology.

https://www.shell.com.au/motorists/...ZnJhbWVkYXBwX2FlN2Muc3RhdGljLzM2MC5odG1s

https://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/pureplus.html

Shell's "active cleaners" has nothing to do with the base oil type, in this case GTL aka "PurePlus". And Shell includes it's "active cleaners", whatever they are, in ALL Shell Helix formulas including their Ultra line. See link below..

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/pureplus.html

Yes i'm sure they still have an additive/active cleansing package etc in the GTL. I wasn't implying that they didn't just that the GTL is only available in the Ultra . Also, the Ultra bottles have replaced the graphics on the front picture to PurePlus technology instead of the 'active cleansing technology' graphic found on all shell oils except for the Ultra.

Originally Posted by adams355
Yes i'm sure they still have an additive/active cleansing package etc in the GTL. I wasn't implying that they didn't just that the GTL is only available in the Ultra . Also, the Ultra bottles have replaced the graphics on the front picture to PurePlus technology instead of the 'active cleansing technology' graphic found on all shell oils except for the Ultra.

Ah yes, i see..but how do we know Shell isn't using GTL in some portion in their other fully synthetic Helix products, much like they do in Rotela Gas Truck? IIRC, Gena Fishbeck stated Shell uses some GTL in it's RGT along with "other" synthetics. She didn't go so far as to say in what %. Either way Helix Ultra w/GTL looks like a solid lube. Wonder how much different it is than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum??🤔

Last edited:
What % GTL is in any of them? We may be thinking 100% but Pennzoil is actually selling us 5% and laughng all the way to the bank?

Originally Posted by SR5
Our Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is API SN and ACEA A3/B4 plus all the Euro OEMs. A great oil, but not SN-Plus or it wasn't the last time I checked. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a rush today and didn't check the 5W40.

I agree A3/B4 is a very high quality standard, but the last time I checked they hadn't explicitly included a LSPI test like SN-Plus and D1G2 has. Not that I'm worried, just saying. I like how they are both MB 229.5 which means a Noack volatility of 10% or less, much better than the 13% of Dexos or the 15% of API.

I like how the new SHU 5W30 is SN-Plus and A3/B4 oil, as it allows for a one-size-fits-all approach if you have both Euro and non-Euro cars in your garage.

Lots here run the SHU 5W40 in all their regular (non-Euro) cars, as it's such a great oil. The new SHU 5W30 should help the newer Japanese car owners who want a Euro quality oil that still meets their owners manual requirements.

BTW what's MB 226.5 ? I'm not familiar with that one.

I just got Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 for my BMW and it is SN+. Not that I really care, but it is.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I did see this oil the other day and wondered if it would be a good candidate for the 1.5ltr 3cyl ecoboost...as wss-m2c948-b is annoying to find in Aus..(yes I'm not a Penrite fan lol)

Sorry to revive an old thread but I did see this oil the other day and wondered if it would be a good candidate for the 1.5ltr 3cyl ecoboost...as wss-m2c948-b is annoying to find in Aus..(yes I'm not a Penrite fan lol)
On a small turbo engine I'd be looking for something that carries the API SN+ or SP category or GM Dexos1gen2 to help prevent LSPI.

Out of what would be available down under, I recommend these 2 oils
The magnatec should be API SP/ ILSAC GF-6A and carries Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 Meets and WSS-M2C961-A1 which are the 5W30 equivalents to wss-m2c948-b, The valvoline still only reflects API SN+/ILSAC GF-5 and ford WSS-M2C946-B1 but either or should be fine.

I just saw this stuff in Repco (Australia) today, it must be new as I've never seen it before.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 full synthetic.
It's a GTL (PurePlus) based oil, and according to the jug it's made in Hong Kong.

It's rated API SN-Plus, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 / 226.5 and Renault RN 0700 / 0710.

This is the first SN-Plus (for LSPI control) and A3/B4 (for high HTHS) oil I have ever seen in the wild.

Do you have it in North America? It would probably be called Pennzoil Platinum Euro of some sort.

Looks like a top quality oil to me.
I was thinking this might be Pennzoil Euro “L” , but this older shot shows it is C3 , 229.51, Dexos 2, and SN. I’ll check a newer jug.

E00EC754-DE43-453C-A5F7-9A66D25710EF.png

Last edited:
Back