Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Really curious how the LM Molygen will look in UOA vs. the LM LL HT. Anyone have a comparo? I know it's green. I know it also doesn't have any of the approvals but is just "recommended for".

Probably not. Not many people is ready to pay that money for average oil.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Really curious how the LM Molygen will look in UOA vs. the LM LL HT. Anyone have a comparo? I know it's green. I know it also doesn't have any of the approvals but is just "recommended for".

I think more people on here use it than will admit... Kinda like royal purple for the gassers.

Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by edyvw

I think more people on here use it than will admit... Kinda like royal purple for the gassers.

Nah, I highly doubt many people are using it here. Those that think made in Germany will get them 20hp more, and 10mpg, yeah, maybe.

Originally Posted by ad244

For what reason? Is it better than an equivalent product for less money?

A UOA will tell you nothing in terms of how the oil performs in lieu of those missing approvals.

Had some new LM Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 analyzed. Was curious as to the starting TBN and viscosity. I note they are a little off from the spec sheet LM provides. TBN listed as 11.3 and the report shows 9.2. Viscosity listed as 14 and the report shows 13.5.

InkedLM 5W40-191225_virgin_analysis-page-001_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Basically no better than Castrol 5w40 or Mobil1 5w-40. Just an extra premium for the name. I mean, I can't really say anything. as I'm a Motul 8100 xcess 5w-40 fanboy for my car. Tempted to give x-clean a go if it were cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
Basically no better than Castrol 5w40 or Mobil1 5w-40. Just an extra premium for the name. I mean, I can't really say anything. as I'm a Motul 8100 xcess 5w-40 fanboy for my car. Tempted to give x-clean a go if it were cheaper.

I don't think Liqui-Moly is any better or worse than Castrol or Mobil. I'm going to start doing the FCP Euro lifetime warranty oil changes for the significant cost savings starting next change, and will be using Liqui-Moly 5w40.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I don't think Liqui-Moly is any better or worse than Castrol or Mobil. I'm going to start doing the FCP Euro lifetime warranty oil changes for the significant cost savings starting next change, and will be using Liqui-Moly 5w40.

Seeing how you're in the same state, you should! You could probably drive it back to them and save money on shipping. I was considering the lifetime as well, but I think I'll stick with Motul for something like oil and use the warranty on these brakes, rotors, and control arms
smile.gif
. The shipping for me would be about $30.

Seeing how you're in the same state, you should! You could probably drive it back to them and save money on shipping. I was considering the lifetime as well, but I think I'll stick with Motul for something like oil and use the warranty on these brakes, rotors, and control arms
smile.gif

Yeah for me the shipping is $12 or so, and I can walk to the post office from my work.

smile.gif

Yeah for me the shipping is $12 or so, and I can walk to the post office from my work.

Ive thought about giving the life oil changes a try with the wife's car, but with shipping I just can't make it work. ~$12 for 5 quarts of M1 0w40 (after rebate) and $4.50 Mahle filters from Rock Auto are hard to beat. If I'm buying something from FCP, I'll throw in a filter if needed as well. I think they're $7 or so there, but I don't both with returning. That's for the $2000 or so worth of parts I've bought for her car through them. Lol.

Just not interesting in the PITA of doing the FCP Euro/take advantage of their ridiculous policy thing. I get why folks do it though - if they wanted to stop it it would be easy to exclude fluids from their lifetime guarantee policy. Also, they clearly have done the math and know that they sell more doing this from all the extra things people buy than they lose.

Just not interesting in the PITA of doing the FCP Euro/take advantage of their ridiculous policy thing. I get why folks do it though - if they wanted to stop it it would be easy to exclude fluids from their lifetime guarantee policy. Also, they clearly have done the math and know that they sell more doing this from all the extra things people buy than they lose.

I don't see how it's a PITA. Dump the used oil back into the old containers, put it in the supplied bag/box and drop it off at the post office. Much easier than driving to walmart for oil.
lol.gif

I don't see how it's a PITA. Dump the used oil back into the old containers, put it in the supplied bag/box and drop it off at the post office. Much easier than driving to walmart for oil.
lol.gif

Since you're in the same state, it's one heck of a deal! For me, more cost than it's worth.

lol.gif

Just not worth it to me. An oil change kit is $60 3x a year. Shipping on 6qt has to be half that. I can handle it but if you want to do it knock yourself out.

9K on LM this go around and all of that has been with the larger turbo/Stage 2 tune. Lots of beating it up over the last few months with numerous 0-60 runs/quarter mile runs. Will be interesting to see how the UOA looks with this use, Ceratec (added last time), and of course my K&N letting all that dirt in. Went with the MoS2 this time and will back down my OCI to 7.5K which is my preferred interval for my annual mileage (24K) and it matches better with tire rotation schedule. Also, I had a technical question and emailed them yesterday - their U.S.-based tech guy Stefan (the dude who does a lot of their youtube videos) got back to me with an answer stat. Do M1 and Castrol do that? #LMfanboi

20200208_141016.jpg

I run it in our Volvo since it's the easiest oil to get meeting the VCC RBS0-2AE spec. The 2.0L is much quieter and smoother with it in.

lol.gif

Have you actually priced out the shipping at the post office? It's quite a lot for regular consumers.

I tried to send back wiper blades in the original cardboard box it came in, and USPS wanted $40 to ship, which was more than what I paid for in the first place.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

lol.gif

Have you actually priced out the shipping at the post office? It's quite a lot for regular consumers.

I tried to send back wiper blades in the original cardboard box it came in, and USPS wanted $40 to ship, which was more than what I paid for in the first place.

You get this - it's not free. Oil change kit return would be at least $25 is may guess, so new kit is $35 so not bad. Wipers - I JUST bought some and had the same thought, return shipping will outweigh new cost of $25.

9K on LM this go around and all of that has been with the larger turbo/Stage 2 tune. Lots of beating it up over the last few months with numerous 0-60 runs/quarter mile runs. Will be interesting to see how the UOA looks with this use, Ceratec (added last time), and of course my K&N letting all that dirt in. Went with the MoS2 this time and will back down my OCI to 7.5K which is my preferred interval for my annual mileage (24K) and it matches better with tire rotation schedule. Also, I had a technical question and emailed them yesterday - their U.S.-based tech guy Stefan (the dude who does a lot of their youtube videos) got back to me with an answer stat. Do M1 and Castrol do that? #LMfanboi

Man I wish I had a workbench. So jealous.

FCPeuro with their lifetime guarantee is the way to go for parts for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back