New C8-R Vettes at Rolex 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from Daytona, our usual annual father and son trip for the Rolex 24.. All the hype was around the new C8-R Vettes for sure! I was very unimpressed of the sound and performance from them honestly... nothing beats the sound of that American V8 roaring down the back stretch at over 6500rpm like last years C7-R. Now it gets lost in the crowd with that flat plane 5.5 and sounds like another Porsche or other foreign sports car. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge European sports car fan and love Porsche and BMW but there was always something so beautiful about those Vettes...not anymore...

I guess it at least sounded better than those EcoBoost V6's in the Ford GT's, and I'm a huge Ford guy! lol

Of course tons of Hype about Kyle Busch in the Lexus, sissy boy was the only one that didn't come out on stage for the Driver/team intros! I guess he was too good for that. I've never liked the guy and this just proved me even more right.

If you've never seen a Rolex, I highly suggest it! Well worth the trip even if you aren't an IMSA fan!

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

LIKE!!!!

Sadly, I see that the engines are de-tuned to 5.5L and somewhere around 500HP. RPM limited too.

I can't understand that...

At least they tune the exhaust to shriek..... If you've ever heard an American V8 with an 8 into 1 equal length header, that's what the C8r sounds like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
LIKE!!!!

Sadly, I see that the engines are de-tuned to 5.5L and somewhere around 500HP. RPM limited too.

At least they tune the exhaust to shriek..... If you've ever heard an American V8 with an 8 into 1 equal length header, that's what the C8r sounds like.

Except this was the new Flat plane V8, not the LS-7.... it sounded horrible in person IMO... the LS-7 still sounds great!!!

I went to several Rolex 24's in the 1990's and 2000's. Unfortunately, NECKCAR has ruined the 24 Hours of Daytona and IMSA.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Just returned from Daytona, our usual annual father and son trip for the Rolex 24.. All the hype was around the new C8-R Vettes for sure! I was very unimpressed of the sound and performance from them honestly... nothing beats the sound of that American V8 roaring down the back stretch at over 6500rpm like last years C7-R. Now it gets lost in the crowd with that flat plane 5.5 and sounds like another Porsche or other foreign sports car. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge European sports car fan and love Porsche and BMW but there was always something so beautiful about those Vettes...not anymore...

I guess it at least sounded better than those EcoBoost V6's in the Ford GT's, and I'm a huge Ford guy! lol

Of course tons of Hype about Kyle Busch in the Lexus, sissy boy was the only one that didn't come out on stage for the Driver/team intros! I guess he was too good for that. I've never liked the guy and this just proved me even more right.

If you've never seen a Rolex, I highly suggest it! Well worth the trip even if you aren't an IMSA fan!

I watched some on TV, but without a Ford in the lineup
My interest was not the same as previous years. And, I couldn't agree more about Kyle.

Nothing better to give me a laugh than all the Kyle hatters getting their panties all tied up in a wad I know you people can't help yourself. Wait till he wins the championship this year.

dave123
I assume and I know what assume means that your liking for Kyle Busch comes from watching NASCAR on TV 🤔
But I can say that I worked in the NASCAR field, not on the race cars but behind the scenes (low key) stuff no big deal stuff but I was in the garage area and around the teams and drives and saw the drives in the real world no cameras just being guys and this was back in the very early 1990's till 2000 time frame. I had the pleasure to sit and talk to numerous NASCAR drives and get to know them on a professional level.
Kyle Busch doesn't fall into the category of those guys. He's not what they were in their day.
If I was a new NASCAR fan today and Kyle Busch is the face of NASCAR
I'd never had been a fan
And no wonder why seats aren't being filled today

So if Kyle is your favorite driver, go for it
But he's not the NASCAR driver that made NASCAR
He's the kind that changed the sport and not for the better

Last edited:
The hatters never end I get it. He IS the Dale Sr. Of the time and I say that as a huge and long time DaleSr fan..

Originally Posted by dave123
The hatters never end I get it. He IS the Dale Sr. Of the time and I say that as a huge and long time DaleSr fan..

Your so clueless
Kyle ain't a scab on Dale Sr. South side !!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by dave123

Your so clueless
j know I should just trust so much smarter race fan I get it. Keep living in the past as most old timers do.

Whatever you believe
But the future with the Kyle Busch types is failing fast
So balls in your fan base court
My OLD TIMERS era of time was very successful times for NASCAR
So you young era guys better pick it up
Seats are Empty !!!!

Back in my day
The seats in Daytona
Atlanta
Charlotte
Darlington
Rockingham
North Wilksboro
Martinsville
Tallegage
Bristol

Were packed
Waiting list were years ahead in advance

So you tell me which era is working out ?🤔
Modern times are not doing so well !

Last edited:
Yes I know I was sitting in sold out stands back than watching. The failure of nascar and many many motor sports goes directly to interest or lack of from younger generations for many reasons. I see it weekly race after race at Road America (I live 5 miles away) no interest for any form of racing from the younger generation.

I can agree
My youngest son is 25 and loves his Mustang with added hi-po parts loud exhaust, but could care less about NASCAR racing

When he watches racing it's the IMSA Series he likes
It's a more true version of racing with actually factory base cars which is more like old NASCAR years ago
But NASCAR doesn't seem to care about that anymore

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by Cujet
LIKE!!!!

Except this was the new Flat plane V8, not the LS-7.... it sounded horrible in person IMO... the LS-7 still sounds great!!!

Yeah, I prefer the OEM sound my LS7 Z06 had to that.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, I prefer the OEM sound my LS7 Z06 had to that.[/quote]

Many people love the sound of a conventional V8, myself included, especially at 8000+ RPM on the track. But I really do like the sound of shrieking engines!! It adds a bit of variation when each car sounds different.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I went to several Rolex 24's in the 1990's and 2000's. Unfortunately, NECKCAR has ruined the 24 Hours of Daytona and IMSA.

I just want to know how or why you would think this?? Your statement couldn't be further from the truth. As you call it "NECKCAR" has ruined its own sport by stupid rule changes every week and the playoff format and cookie cutter cars. But IMSA and the Rolex races are still great to watch and have no similarities to NASCAR.

I'm still a NASCAR fan and will at least watch this season to see if Jimmie Johnson can break that record and get hit 8th. After that, I'm likely done.

I was worried about the health of IMSA when I saw that only 38 cars took the start to the 24-hour. 60+ cars is normal.
I was happy to see the KonicaMinolta Cadillac DPi take the win running a thundering GM V8.

The C8R was disappointing in its debut, and I can't understand why GM would put a DOHC 5.5L engine in the car with only 500 HP. The stock pushrod V8 makes 495, so why would GM go to the trouble of installing a larger, heavier engine with the same power? If GM wanted to show how good a sports car the C8 is, why not keep the stock engine, then do the suspension and aero mods to make it a GT-LM race car?
The C7R has been running a 5.5L pushrod engine for a few years, and was easily capable of more than 500 HP. IMSA's restrictor was holding it back. Race-tuned 2-valve pushrod V8's can easily make 2 HP/cubic inch.
GM is supposedly working on the 5.5L DOHC for the next Z06, and is predicted to make 600 HP in the production car. I would guess more like 650, otherwise, why bother? The C7 Z06 had 650 HP, any less is going backwards.
It just seems to me that Corvette Racing wasn't trying to win the first time out with the C8R, and I can't fathom why.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman
I was worried about the health of IMSA when I saw that only 38 cars took the start to the 24-hour. 60+ cars is normal.
I was happy to see the KonicaMinolta Cadillac DPi take the win running a thundering GM V8.

The C8R was disappointing in its debut, and I can't understand why GM would put a DOHC 5.5L engine in the car with only 500 HP. The stock pushrod V8 makes 495, so why would GM go to the trouble of installing a larger, heavier engine with the same power? If GM wanted to show how good a sports car the C8 is, why not keep the stock engine, then do the suspension and aero mods to make it a GT-LM race car?
The C7R has been running a 5.5L pushrod engine for a few years, and was easily capable of more than 500 HP. IMSA's restrictor was holding it back. Race-tuned 2-valve pushrod V8's can easily make 2 HP/cubic inch.
GM is supposedly working on the 5.5L DOHC for the next Z06, and is predicted to make 600 HP in the production car. I would guess more like 650, otherwise, why bother? The C7 Z06 had 650 HP, any less is going backwards.
It just seems to me that Corvette Racing wasn't trying to win the first time out with the C8R, and I can't fathom why.

Unless the rules have changed
IMSA dictates max HP
I believe 500hp is the max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back