Pennz Plat 5W30, 4,786 miles, 2017 Honda 1.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Civic with 24,000 on the odometer, OCI 4,786 miles over 5 months.

Oil capacity is 3.7 qts, which is exactly the amount drained, that plus a small amount in the filter and sent to sample, makes for a very small increase in oil level (due to fuel dilution).

This fill was a Pennzoil Platinum mix, 2.5 qts of 5W30 and 1.25 qts of 0W20, an attempt to use a slightly "thicker" oil to compensate for the anticipated fuel dilution.

Replaced with PP 0W20, didn't try a mix this time, will run another 5K or so.

[Linked Image]

fyi blackstone routinely under-reports fuel dilution because its an indirect?? measurement not a something they distinctly measure.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was closer to 5%

A friend with a CRV 1.5T watches his oil level visibly rise in the winter.

NE OHIO is not exactly MN or BC either.

With that low of a flashpoint FD is well over 5%. Ok report though, still breaking in engine

The recommended oil is 0W20. The first change I did with 5W30 was a knee-jerk reaction after reading about the fuel dilution issues with this engine, thinking a heavier oil would compensate for the fuel dilution (I think I read that somewhere).
With the 2nd oil change, I took the 5W30 I had left over and simply mixed it with the recommended 0W20, just to see what the results would be.... nothing to write home about right?
The current fill is PP 0W20, the recommended oil... let's see how that does. Depending upon the intensity of the fuel odor and the amount of oil in the engine at the next drain, I will then decide whether to stay with 0W20 or go to 5W30 on the next fill.

I can't believe they went with a 3.7 quart sump. That seems very small for all that is required of that engine. Our 1.8 TSI Jetta takes 5.7 quarts.

I bet fuel dilution is higher than they're saying. Look at your viscosity, you're losing it.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I can't believe they went with a 3.7 quart sump. That seems very small for all that is required of that engine. Our 1.8 TSI Jetta takes 5.7 quarts.

My 1.4T VW is 4L

Oil temp on the DIC is well below boiling most of the time. I have to wail on the boost to get it above 210F.

Hopefully you can get to a 6K or so OCI.

Is this triggered by an OLM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ad244
Wow, Low flash point

Originally Posted by Matagonka
I bet fuel dilution is higher than they're saying. Look at your viscosity, you're losing it.

You know, I saw these numbers and thought "This can't be good..."
Originally Posted by Rand
fyi blackstone routinely under-reports fuel dilution because its an indirect?? measurement not a something they distinctly measure.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 5%.

I also wasn't aware that Blackstone's measurement of fuel dilution might be under-reported... Maybe you can recommend another lab?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chinee
Wow, Low flash point

I also wasn't aware that Blackstone's measurement of fuel dilution might be under-reported... Maybe you can recommend another lab?

Oil Analyzers. cheaper and uses GC to measure fuel dilution (no extra charge for TBN)

I can't recall ever seeing a 0W-20 UOA with significant viscosity loss. Your choice of going with the recommended viscosity was a good one imo.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Wow, Low flash point

Oil Analyzers. cheaper and uses GC to measure fuel dilution (no extra charge for TBN)

Cheaper? Only if you get TBN from Blackstone. $33.90 for Oil Analyzers vs. $28 for Blackstone, without TBN. I don't run long enough OCI's to worry about TBN.

This fill was a Pennzoil Platinum mix, 2.5 qts of 5W30 and 1.25 qts of 0W20, an attempt to use a slightly "thicker" oil to compensate for the anticipated fuel dilution.

I used to agree with that philosophy, but I don't anymore. Ask Gokhan has stated, the larger spread 5w30 likely reguires more VII's, which will break down when there is fuel dilution. This is why you don't see 0w20 and 5w20's dropping out of grade.

Originally Posted by buster

I used to agree with that philosophy, but I don't anymore. Ask Gokhan has stated, the larger spread 5w30 likely reguires more VII's, which will break down when there is fuel dilution. This is why you don't see 0w20 and 5w20's dropping out of grade.

That is interesting... so we should see the current fill of 0W20 perform better, as far as maintaining its viscosity. Time will tell.

I'm just learning about oil but that's kind of my understanding thus far. People rip 0w20 as to thin yet the 5w30 you think your running is safe, has actually become a 20wt while the 20wt hasn't changed. Are there any reports of 0w20 becoming a 10 or 15 tw?

That is interesting... so we should see the current fill of 0W20 perform better, as far as maintaining its viscosity. Time will tell.

Is maintaining a KV100 more important than having HTHS in a safe range through the OCI.

Therein lies the benefit of a car that uses a 1/2 quart every 2K miles ...

You can top off with the next grade up and keep the HTHS around 3 cP
smile.gif

Last edited:
Can you put that in layman's terms for me? I take it as use 0w20 and add 5-30 to keep the oil in check? I ask because I'm using 0w20 in an oil burner that calls for 5w30 to see if it uses less oil. Conventional wisdom says it won't but with 5w30, after 700-1000 miles after an oil change is when consumption started, not right away. My theory is the 5-30 was losing viscosity and the consumption started. Then again I know dik about oil outside of how to change it. FWIW 5-40 was no different while oils that caused the least were PPHM 5-30 (which is thin) and anything conventional.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Is maintaining a KV100 more important than having HTHS in a safe range through the OCI.

Therein lies the benefit of a car that uses a 1/2 quart every 2K miles ...

You can top off with the next grade up and keep the HTHS around 3 cP
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back