I think I'm done fussing over filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
I'm done buying filters without the nut or socket attachment on the end. The 5.4L Tritón makes me angry every time

Yeah I'm in the same boat with changing oil on the Ford Escape 1.6 engine.

The next oil filter will be the K&N with the 1-inch nut on the end of it! I've used them before and will make things alot easier!

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
The reality is, pick a oil filter and be done with it.

Some on this forum analyze things too far, life is too short for worrying about oil filters.

cheers3.gif

I agree with you. Perhaps the best analogy of BITOG I've seen so far came from another forum

Here's the problem with BITOG.... it's like the oil version of WebMD. With WebMD, if you research your symptoms enough, you will undoubtedly be led to the conclusion that you have stage 4 cancer and will die tomorrow. With BITOG, you'll reach the conclusion that your oil should cause your brand new motor to lock up in the next 50 miles, regardless of what you're using.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nlife

I agree with you. Perhaps the best analogy of BITOG I've seen so far came from another forum

Here's the problem with BITOG.... it's like the oil version of WebMD. With WebMD, if you research your symptoms enough, you will undoubtedly be led to the conclusion that you have stage 4 cancer and will die tomorrow. With BITOG, you'll reach the conclusion that your oil should cause your brand new motor to lock up in the next 50 miles, regardless of what you're using.

Lol..it doesn't stop there. Before too long you're asking your wife or your 2yr old what they think about the new add pak Valvoline's using and putting family trips and vacations on hold because "the new API service category comes out next month"! ...‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by nlife

Lol..it doesn't stop there. Before too long you're asking your wife or your 2yr old what they think about the new add pak Valvoline's using and putting family trips and vacations on hold because "the new API service category comes out next month"! ...‚

My daughter, neighbors, coworkers and male relatives already give me strange looks, when discussing oils and/or oil filters.
My wife tells me I sometimes spend more time with Helen, than her. She wants me to show her Adam's Fram TG used filter with 26K. I'm waiting for her to accuse Adam / Stude of being a oil filter abuser......lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

My daughter, neighbors, coworkers and male relatives already give me strange looks, when discussing oils and/or oil filters.
My wife tells me I sometimes spend more time with Helen, than her. She wants me to show her Adam's Fram TG used filter with 26K. I'm waiting for her to accuse Adam / Stude of being a oil filter abuser......lol

Adams's a filters worst nightmare! ...‚

Triple_Se7en: I'm waiting for the cluster mess of insurance to hopefully tell me Camry is fixable or a new refrigerator. I'll keep everyone posted. A 26k Tough Guard that had 4 full KREEN doses should be a sight
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Triple_Se7en: I'm waiting for the cluster mess of insurance to hopefully tell me Camry is fixable or a new refrigerator. I'll keep everyone posted. A 26k Tough Guard that had 4 full KREEN doses should be a sight
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

...‚

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Just because I'm done fussing, doesn't mean I'm done trying to get a good deal on a decent filter. What's the catch here. On paper this filter seems like a steal for $4. Is the efficiency rating crap or something?

[Linked Image]

I just ordered one yesterday. I couldn't find much on BITOG about them. I'll be installing it soon.

Higher media flow rates than many here like or prefer. But nice quality overall for the money. I've used them a couple times & currently in my Colorado 3.5.

OEM and Wix filters for my Korean models in my signature. My GDI may even see a Fram Ultra once in a while. Mobil-1 was my original choice at time of new vehicle purchases. But they've priced themselves too high and I'm not interested in Mobil-1 filters anymore.

If you seek a mid-level trapping filter, then this K&N isn't the best choice. A Fram Toughguard is a couple dollars more and traps better. So does a Wix.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Got cold startup ticks and rattles? Swap that expensive high efficiency oil filter out with a basic filter.

You're welcome....

No real correlation. If someone gets cold start-up noise it's a leaky ADBV, not because of the filter efficiency. Besides, the positive displacement oil pump ensures proper flow.

At the first glance it seems logical. But the ADBV doesn't stop oil from draining from the oil system or from the oil filter itself. It stops it from draining from the oil pump and keeps the pump primed every time you start the engine. Every time I change the oil my filter is empty. There is nothing coming out from the filter. But the Fram Ultra is the only filter which prevents the start up rattle in my car. I am sure it is indirectly related to the filter but not to the ADBV itself. My guess: the denser media holds the oils from draining quickly until the oil cools down and becomes thicker. So less oil is drained from the oil system.

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Got cold startup ticks and rattles? Swap that expensive high efficiency oil filter out with a basic filter.

You're welcome....

No real correlation. If someone gets cold start-up noise it's a leaky ADBV, not because of the filter efficiency. Besides, the positive displacement oil pump ensures proper flow.

At the first glance it seems logical. But the ADBV doesn't stop oil from draining from the oil system or from the oil filter itself. It stops it from draining from the oil pump and keeps the pump primed every time you start the engine. Every time I change the oil my filter is empty. There is nothing coming out from the filter. But the Fram Ultra is the only filter which prevents the start up rattle in my car. I am sure it is indirectly related to the filter but not to the ADBV itself. My guess: the denser media holds the oils from draining quickly until the oil cools down and becomes thicker. So less oil is drained from the oil system.

The ADBV can definately hold all oil in the filter, and the galleries above the filter from draining out. If your filters are always empty when removing, then either the ADBVs aren't working right, or your engine has some kind if design characteristic that allows oil to drain out of the oiling system when the engine is off, regardless if the filter ADBV is working good or not.

See the ADBV test I did on this removed filter. It held oil in the filter for a week, while the center tube was wide open to the atmosphere. On my engines, every time I remove a filter, I get a lot of oil coming out the filter and from galleries above the filter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ureone-pl14459-cut-open-pixs#Post2042807

I stopped fussing recently as well. Walmart was out of supertech filters for our scion, I threw an orange can on it and called it a day.

Oh the horror!

Originally Posted by CR94
^ The ADBV isn't the only factor preventing most of the oil from draining out of an upturned spin-on filter.

If oil will stay in a base down oil filter off the car with the center tube wide open to atmosphere, then it should certainly do the same while on the car.

^ Of course, but ...

The challenge was to explain why, in the case of a used base-down filter off the engine, the oil trapped between the media and the can does not run out through the lower end of the media and on out the center hole of the base. Assume the ADBV does not leak, and the media is not significantly clogged.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Till I found this site I never realized there was such a fuss over oil and filters.

I remember posting that years ago I would generally base the engine oil I bought as whatever (in the right viscosity) was on sale for a good price at Walmart. I think some folks had a heart attack..... They were beside themselves with comments about "picking an oil that meets your engine's spec", blah, blah, blah. Sorry, but your run of the mill Honda or similar vehicle is going to be fine with any modern, name-brand engine oil on the shelf at WM.

My theory has always been-if better synthetic oil is available after promos & rebates for less than cheap conventional (or synblend), and an Ultra could go three 7500 mile OCIs on a clean engine (with better ADBV action & filtration over that whole time), why would I wrestle a cheap ST on & off & dump oil every 3-5K when I could be lazy & do it once a year or two instead?

Originally Posted by CR94
^ Of course, but ...

The challenge was to explain why, in the case of a used base-down filter off the engine, the oil trapped between the media and the can does not run out through the lower end of the media and on out the center hole of the base. Assume the ADBV does not leak, and the media is not significantly clogged.

Regardless ... if the ADBV was leaky, doing the test I did would allow trapped oil in the filter to leak out. If you don't believe that, do that same test and stick a small piece of wire or similar into a base hole to lift the ADBV up a hair and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back