2017 VW Golf 1.8T - Valvoline 5w40 MST - 8,600 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my UOA for my 2017 VW Golf 1.8T with 8,600 miles on the oil. Everything but the top up oil was Valvoline 5w40 MST and the top up oil was Total Quartz Energy 9000 5w40. You can look at the VOA of the Total Quartz to see it was almost entirely calcium with some phosphorus and zinc in it. I will have a VOA of the Valvoline 5W40 MST once I get that sample kit.

Golf Oil Analysis.PNG

Well, with a low starting TBN (7?) I guess this shows that low saps oils do just fine for the recommend OCI of 10K.

Allow of my UOA's looked similar on this engine--single digit wear numbers.

Good. Assuming that the make up oil is the reason for the viscosity change.

OCI was long enough to draw some conclusions, too. Assuming the oil meets warranty requirements, no reason to stop.

Originally Posted by JOD
Well, with a low starting TBN (7?) I guess this shows that low saps oils do just fine for the recommend OCI of 10K.

Allow of my UOA's looked similar on this engine--single digit wear numbers.

Actually, the MST stands for Mid Saps Technology lol so I guess it wasn't so "mid-SAPS" then? I could have gone the full 10k, but I wanted to have the change right on the 20,000 miles mark just to make things easier to remember.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Good. Assuming that the make up oil is the reason for the viscosity change.

OCI was long enough to draw some conclusions, too. Assuming the oil meets warranty requirements, no reason to stop.

I'm not too sure about that. Nearly all of it was Valvoline so I would be surprised if .5 quarts changed the viscosity of the entire rest of the oil. Total Quartz Energy 5w40 is definitely on the thicker side of 5w40.
Total Quartz Energy 9000 5w40PDS

I'm not too happy about the viscosity dip, although it's not a big deal either. I'm on dealership bulk oil now so we'll see how well that performs next year. I'm also going to do a VOA for just the valvoline MST and see how that compares to my UOA here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I'm not too happy about the viscosity dip, although it's not a big deal either. I'm on dealership bulk oil now so we'll see how well that performs next year. I'm also going to do a VOA for just the valvoline MST and see how that compares to my UOA here.

Do you know what your dealership uses in the VW? Surely it has an appropriate VW approval doesn't it?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Do you know what your dealership uses in the VW? Surely it has an appropriate VW approval doesn't it?

Yeah it's my local VW dealership. I've seen some claims around here that the bulk oil is really just Castrol Edge Professional 5w40. Not the best oil in the euro category but it's whatever. It's just normal Castrol Edge but they put a dye in it to identify leaks under a blacklight if it ever is an issue

Thanks for posting! What is the sump capacity?
I was having doubts on running this oil for 7500 miles in the Maxima, due to the mid saps.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Nice report. Was that one year?

Easy 10K miles. - and with a turbo to boot.

About 11 months, 8500 miles. Yeah I'm surprised too.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Thanks for posting! What is the sump capacity?
I was having doubts on running this oil for 7500 miles in the Maxima, due to the mid saps.

Sump capacity is 5.5L or 5.7qts. That's quite a bit for a small engine like this but that's how they get that 10,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I'd be happy with that UOA.

Scott

Thanks! Is there something in particular that makes it good? My engine won't grenade itself so I guess that's a plus!

Originally Posted by zorobabel

California has stringent sulfur limits in fuels, even before to the rest of the US.

Actually, the MST stands for Mid Saps Technology lol so I guess it wasn't so "mid-SAPS" then? I could have gone the full 10k, but I wanted to have the change right on the 20,000 miles mark just to make things easier to remember.

I'm not too sure about that. Nearly all of it was Valvoline so I would be surprised if .5 quarts changed the viscosity of the entire rest of the oil. Total Quartz Energy 5w40 is definitely on the thicker side of 5w40.

It's funny though, looking at the spec sheet it's barely mid-saps, and it's LL04 rated. For some reason though it's 502/505 vs 504/507. Not even sure what parameters don't meet low saps on this oil?

As far as the viscosity dip, it's almost certainly a small amount of fuel dilution. Blackstone doesn't test for this, they just estimate based on viscosity. On the UOA's I did on this engine, there was always some fuel present. Honestly, I think that's probably the best reason not to go too crazy w/the OCI.

Originally Posted by JOD

It's funny though, looking at the spec sheet it's barely mid-saps, and it's LL04 rated. For some reason though it's 502/505 vs 504/507. Not even sure what parameters don't meet low saps on this oil?

As far as the viscosity dip, it's almost certainly a small amount of fuel dilution. Blackstone doesn't test for this, they just estimate based on viscosity. On the UOA's I did on this engine, there was always some fuel present. Honestly, I think that's probably the best reason not to go too crazy w/the OCI.

They did specifically state there was no measurable amount of fuel in the oil

They did specifically state there was no measurable amount of fuel in the oil

It doesn't matter--they don't actually measure it. Again, they just base it on a calculation--which has been proven to be horribly inaccurate. There's almost definitely fuel in the oil, and that's likely why viscosity dropped. If you want to know how much fuel is in the oil, you'll have to use a service that actually measures it, and request the test. I used oil analyzers and they tested fuel using the closed cup method. It was at 2.6%, though that was with an APR stage 1 tune: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w1-8t-ea888-alltrack-5011-miles-apr-tune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back