What was the first synthetic oil you ever bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol Syntec when Costco used to carry them. Never found out that was the size of the hex cap though.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
I think it was Quaker State FS 4x4 oil in the clear 1 quart bottles.

I still have a bottle of QS in a clear bottle. I loved those bottles! If they sold it that way today, I'd probably buy it and run it.

One neat thing...It is a bottle of 10w30 and it sat undisturbed for a number of years. There was no settling or separating of any components. It looked the same when I picked it up, looked at it, and topped off a lawnmower as when it was new.

I have about five cases of the clear bottle QS. It's more than ten years old, but I'm still using it.
Funny story how I got it. The boss at the P-QS distribution center got a communication saying that three pallets, 2 of 5W-30 and 1 of 10W-30, had to be bulked. What was wrong with it, he asked? Nothing, there was a mistake on the label that couldn't be released to the public for liability reasons. I never found out what that was. Rather than bulking it, the boss let all the area employees have ten cases. After everyone got some, round two commenced, and so on until it was gone. I must have ended up with 40 or so cases. I was changing oil on four cars at the time, so it was a welcome windfall.
And first synthetic purchase? That would be Mobil 1 around 1979. I didn't use synthetic again until Jiffy Lube forced Pennzoil to sell a synthetic around 1990.

Walmart SuperTech in 1999. I always thought it was too fancy for me and my old vehicles and 3k OCI's, especially since I had never had a oil related failure in any engine on dino. Now I make more money, cars are more expensive and synthetic is competitive.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. bought it for my 2010 Enclave. Ultra was the only oil I used in that vehicle. Ran that vehicle 135,000 miles. Not a single issue.

Last edited:
The original black bottle octagonal(hexagonal?) lid Castrol Syntech 5W-50. It was 'new' at the time and I'd just bought my first car (so, summer of 1992). I can't remember how often I changed oil back then, but I do know I gave no thought to dumping it into my new to me 83 Camaro. That car never leaked and ran great up until I sold it in...somewhere around 1999 or so.

Granted, it was the ohh-so-disappointing 305, but I was in high school, and it was a V8 and that's all I needed.

Last edited:
Late 1980s I put Castrol Syntec (probably 10W40) in my 1982 Toyota Celica. I think it was $1.60/quart when conventional was $1.30/quart.

I bought some Mobil 1 back when you could only get it a Mobil station . Can't remember the price per qt .
All the car magazines had full page adds that intrigued me . Had to be 1988 maybe . It was a 1977 Chevrolet with a 6 cylinder 3 speed . That was the easiest vehicle to work on . Heater core took half an hour . Water pump , starter , alternator the one barrell carburetor . Took longer to drive to parts store than to replace a part . Sorry about the digression . Loved that old low powered uncomfortable but simple truck .

Mid 70's Mobil 1 in a VW Rabbit. Sent them a nasty letter because it used the M1 like crazy when it used almost none on whatever regular oil I'd been using.
They sent me a refund and said something like "yeah some engines do that".
I wouldn't touch M1 for many years after that.

Use it all the time now in the family fleet of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back