2012 Elantra battery running at 11.7 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Spktyr
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Isn't the best alternator a rebuilt one from a local alternator/starter service shop? I hear they often replace components with parts that are higher quality than the originals. Maybe this isn't true for all shops.

As someone else pointed out, such shops are emphatically on the endangered species list. There's still a couple near me and I normally do take a core alternator in to be rebuilt to improved specs, but looking at the market I can see why they're losing business to new Chinese alternators.

My local alternator shop has a 4.9/5 google rating with dozens of reviews. I would happily have mine rebuilt there vs some sketchy replacement. I do live in a decently populated area with a strong economy.

Test the output voltage at the alternator , at the battery terminal clamps and on the battery posts , if it is a top post battery ( with the engine running ) . All values should be very close to the same .

What kind of condition is the serpentine belt , pulleys , tensioner in ?

I bought a used unit from a somewhat local yard, the place was clean as a whistle. 37K on it, they had several grade A, for $50. Charging now at 14.38 v with lights on, 14.27 with brights. Hopefully that works out. I thought it was a good deal, found them on car-part.com, that is a great resource.

Originally Posted by schuylkill
I bought a used unit from a somewhat local yard, the place was clean as a whistle. 37K on it, they had several grade A, for $50. Charging now at 14.38 v with lights on, 14.27 with brights. Hopefully that works out. I thought it was a good deal, found them on car-part.com, that is a great resource.

thumbsup2.gif

So this morning at start up and for the 80 mile drive into work, battery is charging at 14.38-14.48 volts. Yesterday it was 14.27 to 14.38. Is this the new tech, temperature being a factor in charging?

Yes colder temperature higher voltage. This matches the way a lead-acid battery works. It's not a new idea, even some of the mechanical regulators in the 1950s did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back