JLR 0w-20w standard Huh????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss the memos? What changed? A supercharged V6 in a hot climate on 20 weight? [censored] engine is just Ford Coyote variant with JLR heads! Does 20w oil have some sort of Voodoo juice?? It just seem ridiculous

Last edited:
Can't agree with that either.

36.gif

I'm getting ready to run my 5-30 Nissan on 0-20 although it's not a coyote obviously. Mines more of an experiment to see if it uses less oil which is contrary to what most on this board believe. I'm also trying to blow the engine up so I can install the new one setting in the garage. I'm led to try this as a client of mine had the dealer switch out his truck a few years ago to 0-20 and it since stopped using a half qt every oci. We shall see, but I'm really hoping to blow this thing.

Cant agree? Not following... I did do some looking around the site and read that the low vis was for increased mileage (lJaguar and rover spec) but at the expense of deposits in engine and supercharger... so if I was not really interested in mileage and more in avoiding wear - whats the call?

Not JLR 0W-20 admitedly, but there have been a few UOA posted on various boards showing that the VW508.00 spec'd 0W-20 can handle turbo equipped Audi and VW vehicles for, at least, 10K miles. I don't think this is an issue anymore.

Here's another example....

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/m...rbo-four-pot-could-get-even-more-mental/

Carscoops
LATEST

Mercedes-Benz Hints Its New Turbo Four Could Eventually Get Over 415 HP!
BY BRAD ANDERSON | POSTED ONJUNE 12, 2019 21

Mercedes-AMG will launch its new 2.0-liter turbo four in a handful of AMG 45-badged models in the very near future and has suggested that it could get more powerful.

The M139, as it is code-named, has already been officially confirmed with a peak output of 415 hp and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque. Power per liter sits at an impressive 208 hp, making this the most powerful mass-production four-cylinder road car engine ever.

Compared to the M133 that powered the previous-gen AMG 45, the M139 has been flipped 180 degrees, with the turbocharger and exhaust manifold now facing backwards. The turbo also features roller bearings and the engine incorporates an improved exhaust manifold helping to prevent individual cylinders from negatively influencing one another during load cycles, while it runs on 0W20 oil (!) and still needs servicing every 20,000 miles or once a year, whatever comes first.

Producing a turbocharged four-cylinder engine with so much power is an impressive feat, made possible by numerous upgrades that range from new oil- and water-cooling systems to forged aluminum pistons and an ultra-strong crankcase, but Affalterbach's engineers don't appear finished with this powertrain.

During a recent presentation, Mercedes-AMG head of engine development Ralph Illenberger indicated to Car Sales there is more grunt on the agenda.

"There will be more to come. There's always room for improvement. But 421 PS is really quite a high number, especially when it's also street-legal. That was the challenge. We'll see what the future will bring," he said.

If AMG does boost horsepower and torque figures from this engine, we could end up with some very exciting performance cars. And to think that a blue-blood supercar of the early 2000s, like, theFFerrari 360 Modena, had "only" 395 horses at its disposal (and less torque) - and, from what we recall, was ferociously fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by D1dad
. I'm also trying to blow the engine up so I can install the new one setting in the garage.......... I'm really hoping to blow this thing.

Here's a concept that works:

1. Pull out current running engine
2. Install built engine that's collecting dust in the garage
3. Sell used engine for $300
4. Take 300 $1 dollar bills to the strip joint - I guarantee you'll have more fun than staring at a smoking blown engine.

nah I'd rather blow this thing lol. My only fear is the Dr guy who runs his lamborghinis or Ferrari's or whatever on 0-20 and his hasn't blown that I've heard so I fear I won't be successful. I have never tied an engine up in my life and figured it might be fun.

Originally Posted by Local Color
Did I miss the memos? What changed? A supercharged V6 in a hot climate on 20 weight? [censored] engine is just Ford Coyote variant with JLR heads! Does 20w oil have some sort of Voodoo juice?? It just seem ridiculous

The JLR V8 is not at all related to the Ford Modular V8s AKA "the Coyote". The current one (AJ133) is just a revision of the original Jaguar (pre-JLR and already under development before Ford bought them) AJ-V8 of the 1990s. The current Jaguar V6 is literally an AJ133 AJ-V8 with two cylinders missing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine#V6

"The AJ126 V6 is basically an AJ133 V8 engine that has 2 fewer cylinders and is made on the same production line as the AJ133. It shares a very similar block as the supercharged V8 AJ133, with some differences such as reduced bore size. Cylinder heads are also derived from the V8 engine. The engine features a balance shaft to drive the oil pump and balance the crankshaft. "

So, no, whatever the Coyote is or does is totally irrelevant to this engine.

Last edited:
Can the OP point us to some documented cases of blown engines that are proven to be caused by 0w-20?
Or documented significantly reduced supercharger life for same root cause?
Or is this another case of 'I feel it's too thin...'???

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Can the OP point us to some documented cases of blown engines that are proven to be caused by 0w-20?
Or documented significantly reduced supercharger life for same root cause?
Or is this another case of 'I feel it's too thin...'???

ðŸ‘

Its one of those cases where its "i think its too thin!" Oops on the Coyote motor - that's what a tec told me... No, I have known of any blown motors on these V8's or V6's - just water pumps and crossover pipes and chain guides failures.

Its still hard for me to cope with the thin stuff.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back