Amsoil base stocks not what they used to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Amsoil
We no longer market any of our oils to contain any specific base oil chemistry. The proof is in the performance.

Thanks for asking them and posting.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Please tell me where is ULTRA?

Definitely NOT readily available around here!

+1

Phantom oil unless you mail order it.. and then you may as well get Redline or.. AMSOIL.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Most wal-marts locally carry it, oh well? lol

Yeah thats not really true, some do some dont. It seems YOUR Walmart does. Walked into plenty where it just isnt there. lol
21.gif

Initially most Wal-marts here carried Ultra. Now most don't; apparently it is selling poorly.
I'm sure Pablo is loving this thread.

^That thought hit me as soon as I had posted it, I too have seen it in less of the WMs around here. PP seems to be their best selling syn.

If it ever disappears from around here, depending on my current fill's UOA, I'll probably just stick with Amsoil AZO 0w-30 FTW!

banana2.gif

its 9/8/2015 now + i was "former" long time user of Amsoil products feel they still have still good but "not as good" oils for more profits to pay for their advertising. using their 10-30 signature series as always my consumption has increased, i am "boosted" 25 lb at max so i tried their 10-40, a little better but not great. switched to Redline 10-40 + consumption dropped, also noted more vacuum on my gauge, an indicator of better ring seal. i will be phasing out my Amsoil for Redline + mobil I extended performance said to have some PAO in their mix. Amsoil's evasiveness has lost a 20+ year customer!!!

Last edited:
Has there been any change to Amsoil Signature Series? Is it still a Group IV/V basestock oil? Or is it now a Group III as well?

Originally Posted by metroplex
Has there been any change to Amsoil Signature Series? Is it still a Group IV/V basestock oil? Or is it now a Group III as well?

It's realistically probably 50+% group III, but don't look at that as a bad thing. The additive package is more important than the base oil and group III provides better solubility, miscibility, and additive response than group IV while having similar levels of oxidation resistance. Really the only advantage group IV has over group III is in extreme cold temperatures. A well formulated synthetic oil will have a blend of groups III, IV, and V.

The question I ask is will using Amsoil, Redline or any other "boutique" oil show any real benefits over the life of the vehicle. It seems not.

Originally Posted by CT8
The question I ask is will using Amsoil, Redline or any other "boutique" oil show any real benefits over the life of the vehicle. It seems not.

For the vast majority of people that get rid of a vehicle before it reaches 100k miles, no. For someone who's meticulous about maintenance and keeps vehicles until the wheels fall off, possibly.

Originally Posted by Trav
IIRC you need to include Austria and Switzerland, oils are labeled as they are in Germany.
I don't know if these countries have a "law" on the books about the definition.
Seeing as the German company I.G. Farben was first to develop a commercially viable synthetic engine oil it only make sense they would be the first to legally define what it is.

The Reinheitsgebot is to this discussion apples and oranges and irrelevant. You will notice unmalted barley was removed from the mix and still nothing artificial is allowed.

Think Japan has something similar too.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by CT8

For the vast majority of people that get rid of a vehicle before it reaches 100k miles, no. For someone who's meticulous about maintenance and keeps vehicles until the wheels fall off, possibly.

I'm at 304,000 and more than half of that was on redline 0w20. I'm quite content on using it. I'm only now using the m1 ap 0w20 because it was 2.00 qt and after this oci it's m1 0w30 till she breaks plus I get it every day for 5.49qt after I buy two cases.
I do like the Amsoil Sig Series oils but prefer Redline Oil.
Play nice everyone.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by CT8

I'm at 304,000 and more than half of that was on redline 0w20. I'm quite content on using it. I'm only now using the m1 ap 0w20 because it was 2.00 qt and after this oci it's m1 0w30 till she breaks plus I get it every day for 5.49qt after I buy two cases.
I do like the Amsoil Sig Series oils but prefer Redline Oil.
Play nice everyone.

My 2002 Tahoe has 260k miles and has had Amsoil, Driven, and now High Performance Lubricants its entire life. It's nice and clean inside, uses little oil (for an engine that's a known oil burner), and still had <5% leakdown across the board when I checked it last year at 250k miles. Whether any conventional API oil would've given similar results, I don't know, but I can assure you I haven't missed a dime of the extra spent. I'm sure I've spent less on boutique oils than my wife has on decorative pillows, something that is truly utterly useless.

Or on the other hand, I just rolled over 430,000 mi. in my old Sienna and it only used either Mobil 1 or Castrol from Walmart. This engine is hard on oil as evidenced by the numerous pictures I've posted here over the years when changing valve cover gaskets. Oil consumption is about 1 quart every 3500 miles which is slightly more than when it was new.

Originally Posted by metroplex

Unless one has gas chromatographs, or clearly worded statements or SDSs from the manufacturer, every attempt to accurately assay base oil composition is speculation or heresay. This is true for other brands as well. Focus on certified approvals to define performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back