Budget Tires For a Kia Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'd suggest spending a few dollars more and getting General G-MAX AS-05 tires, we have them on wife's Forte and cannot say enough good things about them - great tires.

If it was me, I'd just float the credit card and pay over 2-3 months if I had to, so as to buy quality up front and then reap the longer life.

The Douglas tires would be what I'd go for, if I had to buy new. Otherwise I'd pour over CL and try to find a set still on rims. I'd look up what rims would swap on, the bolt pattern and hub diam, so as to open up shopping options. Mismatched sets are never a good idea, but if money was truly tight then I'd be open to buying in pairs if I had to.

Do you use a local independent garage for your work? I'm wondering if a small shop might know how to get a cheap set and then charge you small money to swap on, like a friend of a friend who has what you need.

I had a set of Walmart Douglas tires put on in a pinch on vacation due to a piece of rebar taking out the sidewall on my wife's van. After I made it safely home from Florida I went straight to Walmart, got a refund and put uniroyals on. The Douglas were exactly what you paid for. I've got Dunlop's on 1 car and Bridgestone ecopias on another and would gladly pay the extra money for tires that don't sound like your being chased by a Blackhawk heli and don't ride like the Wild West.

Originally Posted by dubber09
Personally, I'd suggest spending a few dollars more and getting General G-MAX AS-05 tires, we have them on wife's Forte and cannot say enough good things about them - great tires.

Do you know how do they differ from RT43s?

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

The G-MAX is a Ultra-high performance tire, so it's going to emphasize road grip more than comfort compared to the Altimax

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

The G-MAX is a Ultra-high performance tire, so it's going to emphasize road grip more than comfort compared to the Altimax

I disagree, the tires are very quiet and provide very comfortable (premium, for lack of better word) ride.
Grip is excellent in dry and wet, not running them in winter due to having dedicated winter tires that are incidentally also Generals - Altimax Arctic.
G-MAX AS-05 is a DWS tire thou - Dry, Wet and Snow.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

I disagree, the tires are very quiet and provide very comfortable (premium, for lack of better word) ride.
Grip is excellent in dry and wet, not running them in winter due to having dedicated winter tires that are incidentally also Generals - Altimax Arctic.
G-MAX AS-05 is a DWS tire thou - Dry, Wet and Snow.

They are quiet for now, wait until you get some miles on them, as the noise will steadily increase.

It's a DWS tire because it meets the minimum tread to void ratio to be classified as a M+S tire.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I had a set of Walmart Douglas tires put on in a pinch on vacation due to a piece of rebar taking out the sidewall on my wife's van. After I made it safely home from Florida I went straight to Walmart, got a refund and put uniroyals on. The Douglas were exactly what you paid for. I've got Dunlop's on 1 car and Bridgestone ecopias on another and would gladly pay the extra money for tires that don't sound like your being chased by a Blackhawk heli and don't ride like the Wild West.

Cant say I've ever had a uniroyal tire that wasnt below average.. which douglas tires were were worse?(a few models)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back