Mevotech Terrain Tought ttx?

So I'm building a shopping list for my upcoming front end overhaul on the 2011 F150 (currently 115k miles, excellent overall condition, goal is to surpass 200k before a new vehicle). I"m intrigued by these Mevotech "Tough Terrain ttx" parts line. Its marketed as an upgraded line on both RA and Napa but is it really? I am looking at tie rods, upper control arms and lower ball joints. The comparision is between Moog Problem Solvers, Motorcraft or the Mevotech TTX. Does anybody have some experience? The Mevotech stuff is in the same ballpark as Moog with the exception of the UCA's as I can only find those at Napa which doubles the cost there. MC, of course, is a few hundred bucks more from White Bear but with the cost of the TTX arms from NAPA it would make this comparable.

For inner tie rods, outer tie rods, upper control arms and lower ball joints:
In other words $550 for Motorcraft
$360 for Moog (Problem Solvers line)
$550 for Mevotech Tough Terrain

I don't mind spending the extra money for quality but if Moog is still good stuff I don't mind saving it either. I do like parts that are greaseable but not at the expense of a decent boot seal- which I believe many of the Moog ball joints are much better sealed than in the past, can't speak for the rod ends though.

Last edited:
I did some front end stuff this year on my Suburban.. from what i understand the mevotech ttx is the same as their cheaper line, just looks fancier and costs more.

Oreillys carrys the mevotech stuff as well.

Also you need to decide if you want greaseable or sealed... some moogs and mevotechs are greaseable and some are not.

For the price i would probably go with Moog Greaseable

The Mevotech Tough Terrain ball joints are different from their mid-grade line. Different case, boot, etc... now how much better it is I am not sure. See if there are any video on youtube or other sites showing one cut open.

The lower Moog for your truck has their new boot design. Some do not like it so may want to look around to see what reviews at amazon and Ford forums say about them.

And the motorcraft ball joints are very unlikely the OE that came with the truck. They like most OEs today are known to switch vendors.

The upper moog control arms look good though. Don't see an issue there.

The tie rods if you wanted to save some money I have been happy with the recent Delphi line. The last ones I got were made in Turkey and looked good. And the Mevotech Tough Terrain tie rods are a little cheaper than moog and look good as well.

Check amazon as their prices vary so greatly one of the parts you want might be cheaper there for no rhyme or reason.

Are you replacing these parts preemptively? Are the boots torn? Having alignment issues? Play in the joints?

How are your struts and shocks?

Moog and Mevotech are terrible, Proforged or Motorcraft. are decent.

49.gif

Originally Posted by Trav

49.gif

Can you elaborate on you opinion?

And no, unfortunately this is not preemptive. When I was doing a last-minute brake job (seized pads) I found some very loose upper ball joints and outer tie rod ends. So I'll do those along with lower BJ's and inner ends sooner or later when I get some good weather.

Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by Trav

49.gif

Can you elaborate on you opinion?

And no, unfortunately this is not preemptive. When I was doing a last-minute brake job (seized pads) I found some very loose upper ball joints and outer tie rod ends. So I'll do those along with lower BJ's and inner ends sooner or later when I get some good weather.

I used Mevotech a couple of times on other peoples cars they provided the parts, on had a blow boot as soon as I put grease in it, he go another and they lasted a year.
Moog boots can be a nightmare, they use a steel ring inside the rubber and press it on the joint. The problem is many times the boots are not seated or the boot is cut from the press and fails in a short time when greasing the joint.

If you get one that isn't seated properly you will have a fun time ahead of you and probably end up cutting it trying to press it on with a ball joint press (Moogs recommended method). I have been doing this work professionally for 48 years and these parts are absolute rubbish.
Moog was the standard go to years ago but those days are long gone. The Proforged have been doing very well, they hold up and have non of the issues the others have, ditto Motorcraft. and OE parts.

I would not go with any standard Mevotech product, but the TTX seems like a premium product. That being said, sealed joints are superior for 95% of most applications. With greasable joints you have to be diligent in regularly cleaning off the nipple and greasing it.

Its a crapshoot. I care about product origin and will pa a little more for a quality part made outside China. Sometimes you can't or the cost is just too great. I prefer reputable companies too but, again, sometimes you have to roll the dice.

I'm getting ready to do the entire front end on my F150. I know these might not last 150k like factory parts did but I also know some replacement part with Motorcraft or Ford stamped on it isn't any garrantee of as-new quality or durability. I do have lifetime warranty on these parts and the store is right around the corner if I need it. That's my piece of mind in this deal.

These are the some of the parts I chose. They come from everywhere.

Attachments

• 20210406_185933.jpg
    20210406_185933.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210406_185958.jpg
    20210406_185958.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210406_185914.jpg
    20210406_185914.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210406_185857.jpg
    20210406_185857.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210406_185828.jpg
    20210406_185828.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 156
Definitely not what they used to be and that’s unfortunate. All we install at work for suspension stuff is Moog or Duralast or Napa Chassis and they all can be iffy. My boss regards those as the best of the best so that’s what he installs unless the customer provided something different. He has been doing this for 31 years and that’s the brands he used so that’s what he sticks with. We haven’t had any problems yet that I know of. We rebuilt the entire front end of our Camry with Moog and Duralast and it’s holding up nicely. That was before I knew they were regarded as bad. My friend just put tie rod ends on his 1998 Ford F-150 from Mevotech so we will see how they hold up.

Back