Put my dog down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let the pain tell you you need another dog, you need to go through a grieving period for a while.

Almost makes you not want to get another dog because of the pain BUT the dog needed a family, a partner.

When you are ready, PetFinder.com

Mostly lists private rescues.

Thank you for all the kind words. It honestly helps. I don't really have a way to express my udder sadness other than crying with my wife. I've been second guessing the decision and keep picking apart our actions. Doing what's right, doesn't always feel right.

So sorry for your loss. We've done it more times that I care to remember. Why? Because the joy and love they bring to our lives far outweighs the grief of losing them. Everyone is different but can't agree with rushing out and getting a new puppy or dog. We need time to grieve and adjust. We lost our wonderful 14 year old Harley in June of 2018. In October my wife decided it was time for another companion for our 7 year old male cattle dog who seemed lonely. We found a nice 8 week old female cattledog and though he doesn't like other dogs with some care they became best friends.

We're dog people and can't imagine life without a dog or 2. You lose every one but the last one, he loses you.

Give it some time, it's going to hurt for a while.

Dogs ARE family members. Most dogs will take your love and return it 10X over.
Your family offered him a loving home. You guys will see him again.
He's crossed the Rainbow Bridge...

[Linked Image]

May you find it in your hearts to love another dog soon -- perhaps a shelter dog.

I am sorry for your loss. My wife and I lost our dog about 6 years ago. We waited about a year or so before we adopted a rescue dog.

It is hard and everyone grieves differently. Hopefully another dog will come to your family again sometime.

Time helps somehow.

I have a friend who just lost his dog a few weeks ago. He posted some words of wisdom...

"Every dog I ever had...was the best dog I ever had."

I'm sorry for your loss. Remember all the good times, they'll carry you through the low times. Making a decision like this is certainly not something easy to do, but Is a thing that you do because of compassion and love.

Sorry for your lost my wife & I went through this a few years ago with our two four legged babies just months a part. Howie out 16 year old wire hair Dachshund had cancer in his mouth and we had to have him put to sleep. A few months later our other 14 year old baby had cancer in one of her eyes so we had to put her to sleep also. It hurts but it gets better with time.

Talk to Brutus every day, a few times per day. Do this for a few weeks at least. It will help him transition and eventually find his own brothers, sisters and parents that have passed. Tell Brutus to seek and become a companion of your friends and relatives that have passed in the past nine years too, as he awaits your family of four in coming decades, for an afterlife of eternal bliss.
Sure Brutus will miss your family of 4's close encounters of the past nine years. But you can be absolutely sure he remains with your household indefinitely - as a guardian and companion.

So Brutus is still around your home. He may even let you know he's around via an apparition, smell, bark.... or even a cold nose to your extended hand, as it hangs over the edge of your bed around midnight. You may even feel him pressed down on your mattress too - as you are about to doze off.

Wishing your family the best in this grieving process. Get another dog to help heal quicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Passport1
I didn't want to read this but I did. I had to put my beloved 14 year old dog over the rainbow a year ago and it still grieves me.

I know what your family is going through. I still can't replace my Buddy.
[Linked Image]

Wow he's got such a dignified face. Sorry for your loss. His face almost has a human expression.

Unfortunately, that pic tells me it's a headache or general pain expression. But the good news is any pain now has vanished, for both Buddy and Brutus.
Be happy for both dogs well-spiritual-being now.

Sorry for the loss of your family member. I totally understand people who choose not to get another dog because they don't want to endure that deep feeling of loss.

Sadly we all have to pass one day.
Look at the loss as he was one heck of a lucky dog to spend his days on this earth with you and your family as well as your family with him.
He could not have had a better life then with you.

I feel your pain literally as we just went through this same ordeal. Try to dwell on the comfort you gave and received rather than the loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The only explanation I can give for why we do this to ourselves over and over is that there is no amount of pain or grief that can overshadow the love. I personally rather be shot than feel that pain again (we lost Yogi summer 2018, and Teddy summer 2019). Just cling to the good times, the laughter, the joy and love they've brought you, and take the time to heal from it.

Yogi.jpg

Teddy.jpg

I'm going through the same thing, having put my dog down on 1/15. It's a painful decision and painful time. This is the 3rd dog I've had to go through this with (and one cat). It never gets easier, but the grief does eventually subside - it's different for each person and each time you go through it. We go on and they go to heaven.

Originally Posted by Touring5
I'm going through the same thing, having put my dog down on 1/15. It's a painful decision and painful time. This is the 3rd dog I've had to go through this with (and one cat). It never gets easier, but the grief does eventually subside - it's different for each person and each time you go through it. We go on and they go to heaven.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I find that arriving at home and not being greeted by 100lbs of slobbery kisses is the worst. I didn't cry today. Today was a good day.

Sorry about your dog. I never got another dog after my 12 year old one died.

They are a short lived things that you get really attached to
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back