STP Motor Oil at HF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran across this today at Harbor Freight.
Maybe it's something new I don't know

2126EA20-AE00-4DAA-9709-D0026468A792.jpeg

Thanks but no thanks. I will stick with the Amsoil small engine oil.

With small engine oil they can put in certain additives or more of some and thus it might not meet SN but will be better for small engines that are air cooled and may have grass or mice nests on some of the cooling fins (so not proper cooling) and may not get routine oil changes.

So you are kind of up to the decisions of the blender as to what would make a good small engine oil vs some SAE spec like SN. In that scenario I will trust Amsoil over STP.

However most small engines can be run with almost any oil and still keep going for years/decades.

STP- Scientifically Treated Petroleum

STP is in the category of Kmart and Sears... it had its day but they are on their last legs as a name.

Gone are the days of Richard Petty winning races and selling bottles of STP.

Originally Posted by Chris142
How much was it?

$6.50 a quart

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FT92
haven't seen it at my local HF , maybe coming soon

According to HF website it's listed as a new item

STP definitely has its ups and downs. Remember all the car care / cleaners? They put the name all over everything then a few years later gone back to just oil treatments. They are back on a high!

Originally Posted by Donald

With small engine oil they can put in certain additives or more of some and thus it might not meet SN but will be better for small engines that are air cooled

Any source for this info?

All my air-cooled OPE gets the cheapest 15W-40 money can buy,
and I have never had any oil consumption problems, much less any oil-related related failures.

It's all the *external* stuff that dies first....
plastic gas tanks crack, fuel pumps fail, wiring and switches fail...

But I have never had any issue that traces back to the oil I use.,

When it can be scientifically demonstrated that this stuff is better for my OPE than the Rotella T5 I currently use, I'll consider it. Also, when they have to showcase that it's "Engineered with Anti-Wear Technology" I have to ask: Uhhhh, isn't that true of ALL motor oil?

Marketing departments...
smirk2.gif

saw it this week at my HF . no reason to try it for me. only my 3 kolhers use 10-30. I use mobil 1 in those. florida is way too hot for 10-30 in most mowers that see commercial use like all mine do. when they have the hi tec 2 stroke oil-I will try it. this summer I tried the stp tcw3 from auto zone at 3$ per quart and it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back