2006 Cadillac CTS: worth looking into or run away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by atikovi
This one? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...r.selectedEntity=c1449#listing=258594131 Looks sharp. Have it checked out by a mechanic. At that age in PA, I'd start to look for rust.

Well, it has new PA Inspection and emissions on it. Yeah, that is it. Some way I feel like I'd be gambling on it. To me, that price is high for a 14 year.old vehicle. Or am I truly crazy?

Go for it. Some people here are commenting like you're buying a $10,000 car. If the a/c quits, you drive without a/c. If the oil leaks, you add oil. You don't get squat these days for $3,000, especially not a near luxury car as clean as this. If the timing chain starts to act up or the transmission slips, dump it for $1,000. If you get a year out of it you got your monies worth.

Well, if insurance says the Camry is totaled I'd look at it or look over it good and possibly go for it. So much up in air now though

I had a 2005 CTS, 3.6, way back when. No issues at all other than a door switch. The timing chain issue seems more related to letting the oil get low. The oil light will not come on but will starve the chain.
At 140k its a crap shot as you never know if the previous owners maintained the oil level properly. That and many did not change the trans fluid as it does not have a dip stick.

Also the air filter is under sized. So change it every 20-25k.

This one? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...r.selectedEntity=c1449#listing=258594131 Looks sharp. Have it checked out by a mechanic. At that age in PA, I'd start to look for rust.

Well, it has new PA Inspection and emissions on it. Yeah, that is it. Some way I feel like I'd be gambling on it. To me, that price is high for a 14 year.old vehicle. Or am I truly crazy?

Go for it. Some people here are commenting like you're buying a $10,000 car. If the a/c quits, you drive without a/c. If the oil leaks, you add oil. You don't get squat these days for $3,000, especially not a near luxury car as clean as this. If the timing chain starts to act up or the transmission slips, dump it for $1,000. If you get a year out of it you got your monies worth.

Around here, you can't give away a CTS 3.6 with discernible issues. Everyone knows the 3.6 is a disaster - local experience with the mechanics I've spoken with includes not just bad timing chains but random headgasket failure, even on as-scheduled well maintained examples.

The local junkyards will pay maybe $400 for an uncrashed one.

Original poster, look for something else.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'd avoid this car like the plague if your goal is reliable transport.

I see where you are coming from. It is a Cadillac though
shocked2.gif

My buddy at work has one, it's really not that nice of a car and his has been far from problem-free. He bought it for much the same reason you are considering this one.

I can't speak to the 2006 CTS, but I did own a 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon with the 3.6 and AWD for a while. I loved that car, but it was just not enough room for me, so I traded it for a truck (GMC Sierra Denali). I checked on it later via the VIN and saw that it ended up having a major engine-related breakdown of some sort (no details), so I dodged an expensive bullet. I don't think I'd get one today, especially one 14 years old. But it's your money, and your choice - it might be a near perfect car ...Ž

In the past 10 years i have had a Honda Accord, Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Forester, Lexus ES300, Honda Fit.. now in a 2012 Fusion... I am sold on the Fusion.. its roomy, gets 30mpg.. nothing ever seems to go wrong with them.. all the uoas ive seen look stellar. Its a mazda with ford parts prices. I met a guy at a gas pump with 450K on his.. it was road rashed pretty hard but the engine sounded just like mine with 55K on it.

Im not a cadillac kind of guy.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
In the past 10 years i have had a Honda Accord, Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Forester, Lexus ES300, Honda Fit.. now in a 2012 Fusion... I am sold on the Fusion.. its roomy, gets 30mpg.. nothing ever seems to go wrong with them.. all the uoas ive seen look stellar. Its a mazda with ford parts prices. I met a guy at a gas pump with 450K on his.. it was road rashed pretty hard but the engine sounded just like mine with 55K on it.

Im not a cadillac kind of guy.

Yup, another buddy from work has a Fusion and its definitely the better car by a wide margin. He's had zero issues with his.

Caddy? Jeepers !

Stay FAR away - unless 1969 fleetwood with a 472.

" Its a Caddy! " was all done in the early seventies.

Lincoln Zephyr ( MKZ) AWD V6?

That's a Grampa car and a nice car usually under 50 K miles 13 years old!

Just a Fusion Mazda 6 brought to ultimate luxury and comfort.

And I'm not a ford guy

Originally Posted by ls1mike
It depends, do you know the history of the timing chain? How much do they want?

I looked on GM tech site since I have access cause we use it to troubleshoot stuff. Found recalls do e at dealer and other stuff like oil changes, etc. Timing sure I can't answer as it would be roll of dice or takin' a chance. Brothers friend thay has dealer license and nice lot said he'd take $2800 instead of the $3400 its listed for

What is the price on NADA.com and KBB.com ?

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The 3.6 uses oil. Mine uses a half quart in the first 500 miles than another half the next 1000.
Various opinions and theories on why, main ones are pcv breathing issues (which I believe) or rings.
Most people these days don't check oil very faithfully so it's easy to see how they get run low on oil.
The timing chains seem to be a casualty of this.

So, they use oil because people dont check or keep eye on oil? If that's case it would live a long life with me as I check my oil 4 times at least a week

Yeah old school procedure from my 60s gas station pump jockey days is to check oil with each fuel fillup. Now 50 percent of the drivers literally don't know where the hood release is let alone how to check fluids.

Heck, I even checked my rental car last week.

I put over 900 miles on a 2019 Jetta going from STL to Des Moines for work and back. Checked the oil the two times I stopped for fuel.

The 3.6 uses oil. Mine uses a half quart in the first 500 miles than another half the next 1000.
Various opinions and theories on why, main ones are pcv breathing issues (which I believe) or rings.
Most people these days don't check oil very faithfully so it's easy to see how they get run low on oil.
The timing chains seem to be a casualty of this.

So, they use oil because people dont check or keep eye on oil? If that's case it would live a long life with me as I check my oil 4 times at least a week

Yeah old school procedure from my 60s gas station pump jockey days is to check oil with each fuel fillup. Now 50 percent of the drivers literally don't know where the hood release is let alone how to check fluids.

Why don't you hook up with the dealer to find something you want for a flat $600 or $700 over cost?

Everything they have is over $1500

Why don't you hook up with the dealer to find something you want for a flat $600 or $700 over cost?

Everything they have is over $1500

I mean, ask him if he will go to the auction and buy something to your specifications for $600 or $700 over the auction cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back